best beginner nitro race buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:D lmao

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I've been bashing around with nitro mt for quite some time now, and want to move into racing.
just want something cheap and nice to beginn with:)

Last edited:
Those two words are a bit of a contradiction. If you want to be competitive, it won't be that cheap. What is your budget?

If you’re new to 1/8 scale racing it wouldn’t be a bad idea to run a model of car and engine that are popular at your local track. Local knowledge and available parts are worth buying the popular car.
Other than that, as said above, 1/8 scale racing and cheap don’t exist, they consume a lot of parts, time , and other resources.

You will probably spend twice as much on a cheap car getting it race ready than you would just buying a nice race ready rig.

I agree with the others. The cheapest kit that I can think of that might possibly be made competitive is this HoBoa Hyper VS but you still have to put an engine, servo, and radio in it. Theyre gonna need to be good quality so you can expect to spend at least $350 on an engine, $100 on a servo, and probably $200+ on a radio. Parts for the HoBoa arent going to be readily available at your track though but a race kit from a more common manufacturer is going to run you another $300-$400 more than the Hyper V just for the kit. You'll still have to buy all the other stuff too.

around 300 dollar
$300ish will get you the HoBoa kit but to get it ready to be worthy of competitive racing youd have to put at least another $500ish in it. That about as cheap as you can hope to go and stand a chance of being competitive. Other wise if you just wanna get your feet wet just start with anything until you get comfortable racing and then slowly start to build a competitive kit after that.

If you want an inexpensive RTR that's fast, try the Redcat Hurricane XTR. It has a .28 engine, and it's surprisingly well built.

Thats not going to be very competitive though and that kits is discontinued from what I can tell. Plus for an additional $50-$60 bucks You can get a HoBoa Hyper 7 or Hyper SS which are more competitive options. Just my .02

Given where your at ,might want to check FB groups on a good used racing platform ,
I know a lot of people that got great deal from the FB group sales!..:cool:

its irrelevant i built one in 2005 but my custom evo plus pro combined GS storm would still kick ass in veteran pilot hands....

Id consider going that route because i just built a exact clone of mine from 3 beaters have 100 bux in and elbow grease...,Looks like a newer release now lol They no longer run nitro classes around here but for fun i get to run with brushless 4s and other than technical turn sections out of the hole, with a 20yr old picco it hangs hard.

My first rig was a brand new kit the rest where used & I only probably saved a little by buying used rigs.