Beginner to nitro RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arapuraz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a beginner to nitro RC cars and have no idea what to buy. I was wondering if I could get some help on the following questions.
1. Should I buy a new one that is relatively cheap ( £100-£170) or a second-hand one?
I was wondering if it would be better to buy a lower spec new one or a higher spec car that is second hand? If I was going for a second-hand car, I was looking for a budget roughly under £100, is this too low?
2. Since I am new to this hobby, I wanted to start off with a lower price range and then build up to higher specs. So with the above-stated price range of £100-£170 (for a new one) , could I have some suggestions on models and makes I should buy?
3. For second-hand cars could I have some suggestions on good second-hand cars as well?

Thank you for all your help in advance

As newcomer to the hobby, I would recommend against a used rig until you learn the ins and outs of tuning. As far as brands go, I'd see what your local hobby shop (LHS) carries in models as well as parts. I've had good experience personally with Traxxas, HPI, Associated and Vaterra(The last two are electrics).

I would suggest looking for a good stadium truck like the Traxxas Rustler. They're cheap fairly tough and parts and hop-ups are available easily.

Once again, I would not recommend ANY used vehicles until you're familiar with tuning and breaking in nitro engines.

Buy the best that you can afford. Make sure that what you buy has a good supply of replacement parts at the store you shop at.

Are you looking for on road or off road?

My first nitro rc I bought was a savage 25, I didn't know much about it and probably ruined the engine because of that.

So make sure you study and research to understand how these vehicles work, especially how to tune the engine. Get a temp gun as well. Just read read read!

But I would say you should be good getting a used one off eBay or craigslist. Make sure it looks like it has been taken care of. No missing screws, the seller understands how nitro engine work.

Study the model you plan to get to make,sure it's not missing pieces and wasn't just tossed together from spare parts.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your replies.

Last edited:
I was looking to buy the following car
http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-cars/n...-scale/nb16-nitro-radio-controlled-buggy.html
I was wondering if this would be good as a starter car. If not, could I please have some suggestions for Nitro RC cars for budget £100 - £150. Looking at some of the local model shops, they are charging £200+ for basic cars. Any links to companies that are in the UK for would also be really helpful. Once again thank you in advance for your help in this matter

I have a 1/16 Nitro Buggy, identical to that one but sold under a different brand name here in the US. I like mine but wouldn't recommend for your first Nitro RC. Those small engines can be finicky and the clutch shoes are made of plastic. The first Nitro I ran was a Traxxas Nitro Sport. Would be much better for your first one, with electric start and a much more forgiving engine. I paid $269 for Sport from the Traxxas web site. Worth the extra money, IMHO.

Buy the best that you can afford. Make sure that what you buy has a good supply of replacement parts at the store you shop at.

Are you looking for on road or off road?
Thank you for your reply, I don't mind either to be honest, I would just like to get into the hobby and then expand and explore from there.

This site is a pretty good one in the UK, they have decent prices and pretty quick shipping. Don't leave us, but they even have their own forum where you may be able to find some people to bash with. You may also be able to get some more specific feedback on the UK specific brands. Like I said though, I'm not trying to get you to leave us but I want you to be able to get the best advice on your new ride.

As far as my suggestion on what to get, I agree with the others on getting a new car for your first. To be honest though, I would probably spend a bit more and get a quality model. The HPI Firestorm is £199 and it's basically the same as a Traxxas Rustler, a simple 2wd Stadium Truck.

I've never bought a new one, although I've only had 3, I managed ok, just need to know what to look for.

I just got my used savage x that is very clean for $265 shipped to me, it came with extras too

Just waiting on receiving the remote controller and reciever because the seller missplaced them but since I negotiated including the extras, he has to send them. He's sending me a tf-40 so I can use the reverse without getting the mixer.

But you really need to know how everything works, how to fix things that break, not be affraid to get your hands dirty. Just read and study everything, nitro engines aren't that complicated. And ask a ton if questions of you have problems

Last edited:
I've only bought 3 new rc's in my 20 year stretch!
The rest I built or bought used.
My last one that I bought used was my 1/8 scale Robotronic Mantis for $225.00
best deal I ever got!....:p

But to buy a used one ,you better kmow what your looking at!

One of the problems buying a used one these days ,is they are way over priced an its
hard to find a descent one!
Also if its through auction on ebay the other bidders has the price jacked up an shipping
will kill you!

My first one was new, my second two were very slightly used. Having my first for a long time, gave me confidence to buy used, but I am talking mint condition used, not beat to crap.

Now, it takes nothing to destroy a nitro engine. If you are buying used, it will not take much to actually exceed the price of new if you have to purchase a replacement engine or other driveline parts. Certainly do not pay more than 50% of the price of new.

One of the problems buying a used one these days ,is they are way over priced an its
hard to find a descent one!
Also if its through auction on ebay the other bidders has the price jacked up an shipping
will kill you!
I've seen some crazy prices that people probably never get. At least on savages.

But I'm happy with what I've bought.

My savage x came with a ton of parts, and I got,it for $265 shipped. Brand new I Thu k they're what $500?

Now if the engine is bad, an engine is $150, which brings the cost to $400ish? So still $100 or more cheaper.

Just have to sort out the bad deals and find a clean used one which is easier said than done. i got lucky I think lol

I've seen some crazy prices that people probably never get. At least on savages.

But I'm happy with what I've bought.

My savage x came with a ton of parts, and I got,it for $265 shipped. Brand new I Thu k they're what $500?

Now if the engine is bad, an engine is $150, which brings the cost to $400ish? So still $100 or more cheaper.

Just have to sort out the bad deals and find a clean used one which is easier said than done. i got lucky I think lol

I seen a nice savage right now on ebay .bid is at 80 bucks ,it looks brand new ,the guy said it sat in his
basement for 4 or 5 years an it ran when he put it up ,an he put after run oil in it.
If I had the xtra cash ,it would be mine!

upload_2016-9-14_19-18-53.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hpi-savage-...d27c186&pid=100034&rk=1&rkt=8&sd=112124536085

Last edited:
It's got a day left though, people start bidding more the closer to the end.

If you are good with mechanics, have had even electric powered rc or have a friend with rc experience, I would say your be safe with buying used. I would recommend that you buy local if at all possible so you can see the car up close before you spend your money. If not, buy CAREFULLY on ebay type site. Buy something clean and buy something that (if you can find it) the owner makes claims that it is great shape with no problems. That way, if it shows up not as described, you have a legitimate claim to put in with the disput dept.
Do ALL your research on the cars you are looking at. Make sure that what you are buying is up to date (not a 15 year old car with no parts available for it). Buy something with good factory support as well as aftermarket parts readily available so you can upgrade as you break things/become more experienced and a better driver.
Do not buy a 'cheap' car new. There are a lot of 'too good to be true' type companies out there... (i will say it... Redcat is a PERFECT example of this. They have next to no local hobby shop support. Their cars are TERRIBLE. There are almost NO upgrades available for them) These cars will almost certainly leave you with a sad face and a negative experience.
There is a LOT to know and understand when operating a nitro car. Again... Research, read posts here on the forum as well as the guides for new nitro owners. ASK US QUESTIONS!!! That's what we are all here for! Sharing knowledge is what this forum is all about!
Before making any purchase, I recommend getting in touch with you local hobby shops to find out what brands they carry. Even if they are not primarily into nitro cars, they will be a lot more willing to order parts of they are a dealer of the brand you own. Having a local shop that is good with nitro could likely turn out to help you learn and maybe even fix your car if you are not mechanically inclined... You should plan on becoming totally confident in taking your whole car apart and reassembling it over time though. Maintenance is part of rc. Nitro or electric. Figure tools into your budget if you don't have any yet.
Good luck! Don't hesitate to ask is about anything, however big or small you might think it is!

Do loads and loads of research, read this:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/
Ask loads of questions that's what we're here for. I'd recommend getting one from a well reputed company- you get what you pay for. I'd recommend against getting used, I did buy mine new/used. It was cheap and worth the gamble, but I would not recommend it to anyone else.

I would highly recommend a nitro rustler for your first car. Great to learn from, easy to work on, can do massive amount of upgrades, and you can fit some huge tires. Can get one on eBay for a lil less than 300 I think

Attachments

• IMG_20160907_185203.jpg
    IMG_20160907_185203.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 130
As much as I am a fan of building your own kits (so you REALLY know your rug), Traxxas does make excellent alternatives with their ready to run. Of keeping costs down is a big issue, the rustler seems a great beginner! Good call @Prophet216 !!!

While keeping costs down points YoU in the direction of on-line purchases, I am a big believer in buying from your local hobby shop. At least give them the option to price match. If you buy from a local shop, they will be more willing to help you out of a jam with your rig in the future. Of course, I always recommend asking here at RCNT first... We collectively are very good at helping folks out and getting them back on all 4 wheels again! Awesome group of ppl.
Anyways, good luck with your purchase!!!

Back