Been a while...bringing a ride back to life

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all...

Its been a while since I've posted on here...been busy with with my new 1:1 ride and going to school.

So anyway, my dad has this Kyosho MP777 SP1 buggy thats been sitting in his basement for what must be a whole year by now, and I want to bring it back to life. My summer break starts next week (college is great) so I want to have some fun with the buggy. This is what I plan on doing:

Tear it down completely
Tear down the engine, clean, and lube with aro
Rebuild all the diffs with new fluid
Rebuild all the shocks with new springs and fluid, possibly seals
Clean everything up

Do you guys think I should replace the o-rings in the diffs and shocks? If so can I buy just the o-rings anywhere?

Also, whats the best way to get the buggy to look new? I've cleaned it up many times before but it never gets that shiny new look.

Thanks for any help...hope everything has been well at rcnt...

After cleaning, WD40 will give black plastic that shiny new look.

Welcome back bro, good to hear all is well! Be sure to get pics of the buggy, you know we love pics.

Thanks man, don't worry I'll get some pics...but it won't be for 2 weeks or so.

I have to study or something like that for finals first...

I would definitely tear the shocks down and replace the seals. The triple-7 is still a fairly current K-car, so you shouldn't have a hard time tracking down the o-rings. I would use the "official" o-rings, since Kyosho is known to use sizes that don't match other cars.

tear down everything
go to your local hardware store and buy some denatured alcohol and a spray bottle
clean everything with that stuff, good cleaner. actually it is the same stuff the lhs sells for $10 to $15 a small spray bottle to clean, well at least around here.
redo the shocks, you probably wont have to replace the orings but check them out anyway.
as for the engine, normally after a year the oil tends to get a little thick and hard to remove so i often use break cleaner to clean up the engine first and get all the stuff out of it. then i oil the snot out of it big time.
put everything back together and wd40 it to make it nice and pretty

Thanks chewyboy, I've used denatured alcohol before and it does work well. I was planning on using that or simple green or something. I was planning on soaking all the parts of the engine in whichever cleaner I get, then ARO everything when I put it back together.

Think I will need get a bearing kit for it, or will my bearings still be ok? I'll probably pick up a screw kit too from fasteddy or something.

if you have any general grease or bearing packing grease normally red or black i would just repack all your bearings and you should be fine

Hey Aaron! What's happening college man?

Here is my tip on shocks. Don't let the car sit with them sitting on the wheels. In fact, if you can take them off so they springs are decompressed. If you use load clamps or thread collars, take them off or screw the collar all the way up. I would also suggest rebuilding them. I think if you have had them and cleaned them before shelving them, I would just empty them and give them a fresh set of oil.

I personally like using WD-40 as a cleaner and lube too. I use it after removing all dirt from the arms, mud guards, annd any other plastics to give it that nice shine. Just do not get them on the brakes or rubber parts.

Hey jon, college has been great...been living off campus this year in an apartment which has been a great experience. Been putting all my money and a lot of my time into my new 1:1 ride, a modded 3000GT VR-4. Very different from high school, college has actually been teaching me useful things, actually learning for a change is good lol. Really made me realize how much of a joke high school is, finishing in the top of your class doesn't really mean much at all.

Yea the buggy has not been sitting on the shocks all this time, been up on the starter box. I think the seals will be fine, but I'll take a look at them and definitely replace the shock oil. I think what I'll do for WD-40 is spray it on all the plastic parts when I have the buggy all apart, that way nothing should get on anything it shouldn't be on.

Last edited:
AC, great to see you back, chief! Glad to hear the college life is treating you well! What are you now, a junior?

I have nothing to add to the above, just crapping your thread because that's all I'm good at right now!

Hey whats up Monkey? Yeah I am just now finishing up my sophomore year at WPI. Its still a funny thought that anyone would want to hire me as an engineer in just 2 or 3 years from now...well thats assuming I will actually graduate on time...

I don't have anything to add either.
Just want to welcome ya back. Hope all is well.

Thanks digger.

I think I can get everything I need for the 777 or amainhobbies. I might not do the shock seals since they are 10 bucks for a set, unless I have to anyway.

Back