Bearing stuck on a pinion gear.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve38

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I can't get it to go on of off. Brand new damn gear. Bearing just came off the old gear. Hammering with a socket won't budge a damn bit. Prob last straw here. Something so stupidly easy. And now I gotta go thru this. Getting truck back together to sell. Be watching for a classifieds ad. Thanks I HATE ARRMA AND BEING NEW.

I can't get it to go on of off. Brand new damn gear. Bearing just came off the old gear. Hammering with a socket won't budge a damn bit. Prob last straw here. Something so stupidly easy. And now I gotta go thru this. Getting truck back together to sell. Be watching for a classifieds ad. Thanks I HATE ARRMA AND BEING NEW.
Hey. So I have had the best luck using heat on pretty much every part of any of my Arrmas. I went to Lowes and got a little butane torch. Even worked on those poopy mega thread locked grub screws in the hubs. Doesn't take a lot of heat. Hell, before I got the torch I just would use a Bic lighter lol. Don't burn yourself and give it a try friend 👍

Dont understand the issue your having or what kit you're having it on. Got pics?

Don't let it get to you bud. We have all been there. What gear? If anything is ever stuck. I always use a heat gun on low.. it works for everything.. sometimes if your putting them in. And your not squared off. It will kink and get stuck.. time a patience is key👍👍

I've had that very same issue and I used a boxed end wrench placed on the bearing with low heat from the top of the pinion so it didn't burn out the rubber seal on the bearing and then just tapping on the wrench until it broke loose. It worked great.

Never had a bearing stuck on a pinion but if I did I would take a pair of dykes and force the blades inbetween the pinion and the bearing to try and force it down the pinion shaft a little ways. Once it starts to move lightly tap in the dykes with a small hammer until free. Just dont use a good pair of dykes lol

If I couldnt get it to budge that way then Id soak it in some WD-40 for awhile then try again

At least I've removed pinions with stripped grub screws off of motors before like this. Same concept though.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to what you guys are talking about cuz pinions dont have bearings. 🤷‍♂️
That's why I asked what gear.. but usually anything metal that's stuck. You can add heat to the mix and it frees it up. Or like you and baker suggested to me put it in freezer for few hrs. And allow it to shrink alittle. Of I also found at auto parts store. "FREEZE OFF".. its a white can blue lettering. Used to take header bolts out with out haven to run engine to get them hot.... thought that was interesting 🤔

That's why I asked what gear.. but usually anything metal that's stuck. You can add heat to the mix and it frees it up. Or like you and baker suggested to me put it in freezer for few hrs. And allow it to shrink alittle. Of I also found at auto parts store. "FREEZE OFF".. its a white can blue lettering. Used to take header bolts out with out haven to run engine to get them hot.... thought that was interesting 🤔
I just realized theyre talking about the pinion gear inside a diff. For some reason I had the motor pinion stuck in my head.

Heres an example of what I'm talking about.
20210918_103743.jpg

Wooweee. Thanks guys for all replies. I got it off then even back on like I wanted it. I used a socket and tapped it down. But I don't use my head...so heres whats up now. I put both on at same time. 😆 now I gotta get the split between them.

Attachments

• 20210918_114437.jpg
    20210918_114437.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 47
Wooweee. Thanks guys for all replies. I got it off then even back on like I wanted it. I used a socket and tapped it down. But I don't use my head...so heres whats up now. I put both on at same time. 😆 now I gotta get the split between them.
Oh 💩 man.. 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣 you got tint flat head. To pry up on the one? How much of a split or gap do you need?
Or you could hold the top bearing and tap on the shaft. See if the bottom one moves with the shaft

Oh 💩 man.. 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣 you got tint flat head. To pry up on the one? How much of a split or gap do you need?
Or you could hold the top bearing and tap on the shaft. See if the bottom one moves with the shaft
A fat 1/8 in. Splitting the difference pretty much.

Attachments

• 16319803840308081425126505276129.jpg
    16319803840308081425126505276129.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 47
I would try holding and taping on the shaft past whet you need.. then put something one the bottom bearing and tap down the other till your gap is meet

One thing I'll recommend, is a fast Eddy bearings kit. Just part of what I get when buying a new RC.

Yep going to try to do that today. I ended up giving the LHS that is close to my work a second shot and to my delight it was a nice experience and they had a few of the Rando things I was needing. I now have the bearing where they should be. put them in the yolk. set it down onto the chassis. Nice and free spinning before then when on the chassis acts like it's rubbing the bottom or rubbing somewhere on I cannot tell where

Back