Backyard Track design help?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Building a backyard track and need some help/ideas. I need to put a dirt oval in the middle and design a outdoor style track around it somehow.
I suck at drawing but here is what i have to work with.
I would like some big jumps for 1/8 buggy but also still fun for 1/18 stuff.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220415_084527_HDR.jpg
    20220415_084527_HDR.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 116
Is the outside shape the area you have to work with? And how wide do you want the lanes for the oval and regular track?

This would bea fun project to draw up in CAD 😉

Oh, and wicked cool pen!

Last edited:
Idk i figure at least 12ft on the oval and just whatever i can fit in on the rest. I do have bob cad but never really Learnt how to use it. Always had my daughter to design everything for me lol. To old and stupid to learn 3d cad.

Ty my son made the pen.

Hey Fireball. You're off to a great start. Planning a layout is always a good first step.

Had my own back yard grass track running a Stadium Truck series for three years (2019-2021). Layout below that eventually grew to 48in wide FR straight and turns 3&4. 54in RR straight and 60in wide at turns 1&2.

Big challenge for a back yard track is the driver stand. With limited space, one has to get creative in placement. Mine ended up off turn three. Not ideal, but doable. Your yard offers more space. That may not be an issue for you.

Any questions, shoot. I'll help where I can. Cheers and Good Luck. 'AC'

IMG_20190422_0001 (2) (800x622)_resize RCT.jpg

Yea i gotta move my dog kennel to put in a drivers stand. I might can move some other things around and get 20 or 30 more feet if i absolutely have to.
That looks good. Yea we will be trying to run latemodels on a slash or similar build i think.

If I could offer some advice, begin running before you finalize a design. Refine it as you go adding and taking away until you get what you want. My track ended up somewhat different than I envisioned at the beginning. It will evolve into what you need or want.

Couple of other things. A proper backyard track is labor and time intensive. Keeping it simple leaves more time for running. Have to keep the significant other happy as well. Making it look good goes a long way to staying in their favor.

Cheers. 'AC'

Yea I'm gonna try and make it look as nice as possible.
I was wanting to get some red clay but its to expensive to get hauled in so i guess we will be stuck with dirt and some grey clay.

How does this look? You could add jumps wherever you wanted. Like where the track crosses over the oval, that could be a jump. This is roughly 4' wide lanes.
Track Design.png

How does this look? You could add jumps wherever you wanted. Like where the track crosses over the oval, that could be a jump. This is roughly 4' wide lanes.
View attachment 145388
That's really cool, my track is nowhere near as technical, but I designed it where I can convert to oval in about 10 minutes. I have about 8' wide lanes, I am planning on bringing in a dump truck load of clay, and building jumps, since It's all sand on my property.

Attachments

• 20210119_134341.jpg
    20210119_134341.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210119_134317.jpg
    20210119_134317.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210119_134214.jpg
    20210119_134214.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 51
That's really cool, my track is nowhere near as technical, but I designed it where I can convert to oval in about 10 minutes. I have about 8' wide lanes, I am planning on bringing in a dump truck load of clay, and building jumps, since It's all sand on my property.
That's kinda the way they have the local tracks setup here, with the drainage tubing. They can change the track layout pretty easily, but they still have to move the jumps.

O hell yes man. That looks freaking awesome. I gotta go get some corrugated pipe
I wish I was able bodied, I'd drive down and help you build it. If you need dimensions, I can post a pic with them turned on.

And for the clay, isn't there a lot of clay in the ground down there? We got lost one time on some back roads in Kentucky, and we ended up driving up the side of this small mountain, and the road was slippery like wet clay, barely wide enough for two cars to squeeze past each other, with a 100' drop over the edge. One of the scariest roads I have ever seen, but I remember it was like driving up a clay mountain.

I wish I was able bodied, I'd drive down and help you build it. If you need dimensions, I can post a pic with them turned on.

And for the clay, isn't there a lot of clay in the ground down there? We got lost one time on some back roads in Kentucky, and we ended up driving up the side of this small mountain, and the road was slippery like wet clay, barely wide enough for two cars to squeeze past each other, with a 100' drop over the edge. One of the scariest roads I have ever seen, but I remember it was like driving up a clay mountain.
We got a lot of grey clay right around here. Which is what we had on ponderosa speedway when we first bought it. And honestly it had better racing then the red after we resurfaced it.
I got the best top soil ever here but i don't think ot will make a great track. Maybe ok tho.
I can't find anyone real close that will let me rob the grey clay yet but I'm looking. Ill go ahead and try to build it with what i got and get some clay hauled in sometime later.
I get it done you will have to come down and check it out.
I'm not in the best health so its gonna take me a while I'm slow lol. And this weather sucks. To much rain the ground is soaked has been for a week.
All i got done is the grass weedeated lol. Hope its dry enough to till tomorrow. If so ill get it laid out and maybe tilled.

Wahooooooooo hell to the yesssss. Just bought a little garden tractor with a tiller and gonna have a front end loader put on it to. That will sure make this track building easier. Go pick it up Monday. can't wait

Will tomorrow. I'm gonna make it a little bigger now. Just bought the property next door

Its just a small lot with a trailer on it. But i can keep crack heads from moving back in now. Gives me about 10 more feet in width tho.

Its just a small lot with a trailer on it. But i can keep crack heads from moving back in now. Gives me about 10 more feet in width tho.
In the 10th scale world, that's 100' bro 😉 Nice score!

If you want me to play with a new design, give me the new layout. Add as much detail as you want. I can toss any obstacles into the drawing.

Ill get ya some pics soon as i eat some breakfast. Yea thats true i can widen them lanes a little.

Back