Backwash steering trim

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Scooby

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I cannot get my backwash to go in a straight line when I accelerate, I've adjusted the trim but still with no success any suggestions please

I cannot get my backwash to go in a straight line when I accelerate, I've adjusted the trim but still with no success any suggestions please

You may need to adjust the toe points!
I just had this issue with my street car.If people wonder why rc's wheels have that weird look the way
the wheels point in a different direction ,that's why ,it helps the rc track straight under power!

Check out the way that my wheels point.The front is a little extreme ,but I'm still working on them.

upload_2016-9-25_7-51-27.png

LOL @ Baker, thanks for the laugh, in a good way cb

The toe in, on some cars, is sometimes factory set and not adjustable in the rear. That's to keep the rear following and keeping it from getting squirelly.
The front tires should just toe OUT about a degree or so, to make it corner nicely.

I am still having trouble with the steering. It ok at low speed but when you accelerate it pulls to one side if you adjust the trim so it goes in a straight line when you accelerate again it goes in the opposite direction?

Do I need to try and adjust the rear wheels?. I have noticed that when I turn for example left the wheels never go back to centre, this also happens when you turn right ?

You may have an issue with worn components. If you have a servo saver, that might be causing your return problem. Worn balls and cups. You may have an issue with your servo as well. Close visual inspection would be the place I would start. Check your servo and servo saver first, then move out slowly from there. Make sure all the ball studs are right and in good shape. Make sure their corresponding cups are snug and not worn (not a lot of slop should be coming from any ball connection. If all that appears right and in good order, also check to be sure that all the hinge pins and any other related joints (hardware that mounts a-arms to chassis, A-arms to steering arms, hubs etc are also tight, but not TOO tight (be sure they are moving smoothly and not binding) again, not a lot of slop is acceptable here. Be sure that your bearings are not worn. Bearings can be a source of steering slop as well. If your components are worn, no amount of adjusting rods etc, will fix it. Parts replacement and upgrades are the fix in these cases. Check all this, front and rear. Post back and let us know what you are finding so we can try to guide you better to getting your rig riding right!

The toe in, on some cars, is sometimes factory set and not adjustable in the rear. That's to keep the rear following and keeping it from getting squirelly.
The front tires should just toe OUT about a degree or so, to make it corner nicely.
As you check and inpect your parts for wear etc... I would be trying to get back to the stock settings if you can find those measurements in your manual. If not, with the stock set up, bring it as close as you can determine thru any track set up sheets posted by racers. If no info can be found that way, there is always the trial and error way. Once you have replaced any work parts etc, you have a clean slate to work with and a perfect reason to run your buggy for as long as it takes to get dialled in! There are kits available designed to help get very specific measurements on all of these settings. I don't recall where the discussion was in this forum, but lots of people chimed in. Seemed like a pretty good mix between people who like to set up with the kits and those who like to do it by feel.
A kit like this for instance...
www.google.com/search?q=1/10+scale+radio+control+steering+setup+kits&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=360&bih=518&noj=1&tbs=vw:g,ss:9&tbm=shop&srpd=13386960630135824716&prds=cid:5178598710195261331,paur:ClkAsKraX_KJXx7qdJrjslG77k3bT_Zlr2To67bKrM_87raRYYXm9ahgpqhBk1qHFO-AzVyrcQ1V8kRRZlHWu3MsB_7fT1kLtBOyQOAAUXV-dJYmuC1XWDqeLxIZAFPVH72I78hEf0_D6s8SOyu_fF-8NY0oaw,sgro:eek:d&ved=0ahUKEwjrhfnEs8HPAhXKcz4KHQY6BAAQj3UICA
There are others avail at all different price levels to suit all different needs.
I choose to do mine by trial.

What vehcle are you working on ,an what type of steering knuckles are they ? ,if
they are ball joint ,then they maybe too tight!

Yeah whats a backwash? Oh haha at the bottom of the page it just told me it's an HSP machine.

It could be worn parts, damaged servo, or most likely toe adjustement.

As noted, could be an adjustment and/or binding of steering parts, but also could just be due to cheap stock servos not centering well. Considering that thing is $340 RTR, I'm guessing the electronics on it aren't higher end. Budget servos tend to be noisy and don't center the best.

It's kind of a cool little rig. 2 speed gear box in a buggy is pretty neat. Before I sold my old OFNA 1/8th buggy, I was toying with throwing a two speed in it since I only bash and ran it in skate parks and whatnot. But, I didn't feel like spending $150 on a 2 speed for a buggy I couldn't find parts for. lol