Back into rc after 15 years

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreaux

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
many years ago (about 15) i was really into rc. I had started out with a tamiya hornet, then ultima and a rc10. That was years ago. I have decieded to get back into the hobby, and i went to my nearest hobby shop and looked around. WOW how things have changed. My biggest gripe is everything comes assembled. I think putting it together is half the fun. I also noticed nitro is much bigger then electric. So i am doing research to find a nitro buggy that i can put together myself that is close to top of the line. I am leaning towards a kyosho inferno 777. I think the average price i found is about 700 dollars. I have seen another version that is well over 1000 and that is too much for me at this time.

I would like some suggestions on the best perfoming buggys on the market. Value is a plus, 1/8 scale is a must. I want suppieror speed and handling on a buggy that is very rugged. I also hear the bazzoka is great. I am wondering about the associated rc8 as well. Its hard to surf the net and find info about what to buy especially since i have been out of it for so long. I know all of you know of some buggys i did not mention because i don't know. Feel free to let me know what is the best. Electric is also welcome, if they infact better the nitro but from the video's i have seen on you tube, the nitro buggys kick ass!!!

if your willing to pay $700 for a kyosho i would wait untill untill the new 2009spec team x-ray xb808 is released in a couple of weeks...team x-ray has some of the best r/cs on the market and they are very durable and you won't get that slop in the hubs and stuff like you will with any other buggy..and i think the new xb808 will be around $600

so do you think it will be better then the kyosho inferno???? And by better by how much??? I would think the inferno has more after market parts. I am very set on getting one i can put together. do thease two come in a unassembled version???

so do you think it will be better then the kyosho inferno???? And by better by how much??? I would think the inferno has more after market parts. I am very set on getting one i can put together. do thease two come in a unassembled version???

the team x-ray xb808 will also come in a kit form where you put it together...i have naver personally driven a kyosho but compared to any other buggy i have driven it blows them all away in handling, parts where and tare and just the overall look, feel and build of the buggy...JMO

thanx for the info!!! I have fully researched the xray 808 i must say that is one beutiful piece of engineering!!! And cost about the same or less then the inferno.

Now how bout a good engine??? I was leaning toward .28 i want the most power i can find. Dont know if i will ever race but if i do i would imagine i would have to use a .21

Is .28 to much??? :D

Engine size depends on what you intend to do in the long run. If your looking at racing in the future, check that your engine choice is acceptable in the class that you wish to race. If you intend to bash, you really are only limited by what will fit the chassis you are running and your budget.

Manufacturers are also another area to research. One Engine size (say.21) may perform better than a competitor manufacturers engine, yet be either cheaper or more expensive.

Maintenance is another issue, ensure that your engine choice is backed by a good parts availability, there is nothing worse than buying an engine only to be unable to get spares for it.

One thing i would say, is to fit aluminum clutch shoes. They last longer, have better "punch" when engaging and give a more consistent pattern of performance, plus they need a little less often maintenance than standard clutch shoes.

Is a .28 too much ? that depends on the strength of the drivetrain, but i would have thought not. I run a .30 with supercharger on a thunder tiger EB4, never had a problem.

The key to answering your question is to research engines and ascertain the strength of the drive train. Possibly contact the manufacturer themselves and ask about what engines sizes are suitable for the platform you intend to purchase and run. After all, nobody knows a product more than those who make them.

well i am looking at the new xray 808, I get to assemble it, and it has all the features i want. The manufacturer say's a .21 engine. So i would be willing to pay alolt for some of the best out there. How much of a difference is there with a .21 and .30? I don't plan on competition for the forseeable future. Just want the most bang so to speak. I know handling is the main issue. But i still want speed speed and more speed. And power lol!:D

well i am looking at the new xray 808, I get to assemble it, and it has all the features i want. The manufacturer say's a .21 engine. So i would be willing to pay alolt for some of the best out there. How much of a difference is there with a .21 and .30? I don't plan on competition for the forseeable future. Just want the most bang so to speak. I know handling is the main issue. But i still want speed speed and more speed. And power lol!:D

i think a very good engine for the x-ray is the team trinity ex-tech .21 race ready "tuned" pre-run engine...or for $50 more you could get the team trinity ex-tech .21 fully modded race ready pre-run....both of witch are very goos engines IMO an will give you 11-15 minutes of run time depending on how much you bash the throttle.

Back