Back Again With Gearing Question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSievers08

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Currently my STR runs the 2 speed transmission. 44T for first and 39T for second. Could I buy gears with a smaller T count and increase top end? Could I do so without needing a new clutch bell? And if so what would be a good T count to shoot for?

Thank you.

If the engine can slide a bit on the chassis to allow change in gear ratio while keeping good mesh, yes. You should be able to either get a larger CB or smaller spurs. Although, from your other thread, it seems your overtaxing your clutch as it is. Gearing higher will just make the problem more prominent.

If the engine can slide a bit on the chassis to allow change in gear ratio while keeping good mesh, yes. You should be able to either get a larger CB or smaller spurs. Although, from your other thread, it seems your overtaxing your clutch as it is. Gearing higher will just make the problem more prominent.
So a gear ratio set for higher top end will stress the clutch that much more? I had that backwards then. I believed gearing for higher acceleration would have done that. Thank you.

So a gear ratio set for higher top end will stress the clutch that much more? I had that backwards then. I believed gearing for higher acceleration would have done that. Thank you.
Yeah, lower gearing (faster acceleration, less top speed) is easier on a clutch than higher gearing (less acceleration, more top speed). It's harder on axles, diffs and gears though. Taller gearing softens the blow on the drivetrain, but labors the engine and clutch more. It's a trade off either way you go.

Yeah, lower gearing (faster acceleration, less top speed) is easier on a clutch than higher gearing (less acceleration, more top speed). It's harder on axles, diffs and gears though. Taller gearing softens the blow on the drivetrain, but labors the engine and clutch more. It's a trade off either way you go.
That's something I will have to put some thought into then. Where I run is a very long, very smooth black top parking lot. I don't really need to turn so I was hoping to go for a top end build. Thanks again olds.