[B].15 TRX engine has no power and when it gets warm shuts off [/B]

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxx4me

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
would that mean that my piston and sleeve need replaced. the truck was givin to me so i dont know the actual condition of the engine but that would be my guess. i'm kind of a newb at rc so your help is greatly appreciated.

PS: and to whomever gave me the help about the differentials bein in backswards was correct. Thanks

tmaxx4me said:
would that mean that my piston and sleeve need replaced. the truck was givin to me so i dont know the actual condition of the engine but that would be my guess. i'm kind of a newb at rc so your help is greatly appreciated.

PS: and to whomever gave me the help about the differentials bein in backswards was correct. Thanks

Oh i forgot to add: its not running to lean and it is still gettin fuel just shuts off then won't start for a while.

Quoting yourself?

It sounds like it's getting hot. Can you turn the flywheel over with one finger when it's cold and the glowplug is in? If so, the piston/sleeve is probably worn out or almost worn out.

How do you know it isn't running lean? Do you have a temp gauge? If so, what temps is it getting to when it "shuts off"?

check the carb to see if the crankshaft is rubbing the metal part of the carb if it is that could be boiling the fuel and not letting any fuel in to the engine. if it is you should see a groove in the carb and scratchs on the shaft.if this is the case it still will let fuel in and it will start but when it warms up it will boil fuel.

Last edited:
olds97_lss said:
Quoting yourself?

It sounds like it's getting hot. Can you turn the flywheel over with one finger when it's cold and the glowplug is in? If so, the piston/sleeve is probably worn out or almost worn out.

How do you know it isn't running lean? Do you have a temp gauge? If so, what temps is it getting to when it "shuts off"?

I used the drop of water on the cool sink trick i read about. Is that an acurate way to do it?

Tarant said:
check the carb to see if the crankshaft is rubbing the metal part of the carb if it is that could be boiling the fuel and not letting any fuel in to the engine. if it is you should see a groove in the carb and scratchs on the shaft.if this is the case it still will let fuel in and it will start but when it warms up it will boil fuel.

I checked to see if it fuel line was empty right after it shuts off and it still has fuel without any air bubbles all the way to the fuel nipple.

olds97_lss said:
It isn't as accurate as a digital temp gun.

I can turn the flywheel with one finger.

If it is easy to turn over with your finger with ease then you got problems. but if your finger is sore and you really have to put a lot of effort into it your fine.

I found my problem--- I noticed that when I turned the crankshaft with my finger, I could turn it with a little effort but the (easy start motor shaft) moved with it in (both)directions. Took the easy start off and realized that the one way bearing had froze up on the start shaft. It may still need a rebuild but I hope not.
Thanks To All Who Helped ----This is a Great Forum!!

tmaxx4me said:
I found my problem--- I noticed that when I turned the crankshaft with my finger, I could turn it with a little effort but the (easy start motor shaft) moved with it in (both)directions. Took the easy start off and realized that the one way bearing had froze up on the start shaft. It may still need a rebuild but I hope not.
Thanks To All Who Helped ----This is a Great Forum!!

:::::without experience bequeathed from others with it, newbs like myself may never gain it:::::tmaxx4me

I know this is tmaxx talk, but I got a question along the lines of what is being discussed. I'm wondering.... I bought a lst new and before I started breaking it in, I took the glow plug out and marked the flywheel at bdc so I would be able to bring the piston down and properly heat cycle. Out of curiosity, I took the flywheel and tried to turn it by finger though the bottom of the chassis b/c I didnt know if i would have to use the easy start thing. I was able to turn over the engine with one finger. It wasn't too hard. I did it in a lot of little pushes, figured because i turned it so slow it wasn't building as much compression as it would normally do. I wonder how long this engine is going to last.... but my main question is with the glow plug in and the engine cold, Should I really not be able to turn it over? I figure all these engines are similar in basic principles so I'm just asking this here.
thanks.

From what I understand... not easily. I know I can on my omega 21, but I have 4 gallons run through it. But I can't turn it easily. I have to do it in little pushes like you. Plus, I have big fingers...

If the engine is new and yours is then it can be impossible to turn over that is fine just remember to make sure the engine isnt hydra-locked.

I'd really like to hear a lot of feedback concerning the Pro .15 engine. I have two buddies with these engines and they've been nothing but trouble ever since they've had them. They are having failures I've never experienced with other engines. They seem very fragile. What's up?

I figured it was because I was turning it over slowly. I thought that might keep the compression from building due to the taper bore of these engines. I was just thinking that the pinch at tdc was supposed to be tight enough that you couldnt turn it over by hand.