Associated B2 rescue!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixtysixdeuce

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Since the wife has taken an interest in these things, I scored a pretty rough B2 for $75, but I saw the potential in it. These were the seller's pics:

Screenshot_20230522_004439_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230522_004445_eBay.jpg

As you can see, lots of rust on steel parts, aluminum bits scuffed up, mismatched and incorrect turnbuckles and just generally filthy.

So tore it completely down, tossed the tired brushed bits in a box, went through shocks & transmission , scrubbed everything, polished the CVDs, sanded the scuffed aluminum bits a little and sprayed them with Norrell's Moly Resin. Some parts I had, like the shorty servo, receiver, some turnbuckle, white RPM ball cups, shock clamps, stainless hardware. Ordered up the turnbuckle I didn't have, a new Boki gear cover, Jconcepts tires & wheels, and of course the Hobbywing Quicrun sensored 120A ESC and 13.5T motor.

I did also find some NOS carbon fiber shock towers, but we'll sit on those until she's more experienced. Likewise for body replacement, just busied it up with some stickers for now.

It came together nicely for a budget build, and it's a very smooth & compliant little buggy! I may up the pinion size later on, but I think it has enough top end for MHOR as is. It's a tight & technical indoor track. Anyway:

20230525_193802.jpg
20230525_193810.jpg
20230525_193825.jpg
20230525_193832.jpg
20230525_193933.jpg

20230525_193817.jpg

Since the wife has taken an interest in these things, I scored a pretty rough B2 for $75, but I saw the potential in it. These were the seller's pics:

View attachment 166292

View attachment 166293

As you can see, lots of rust on steel parts, aluminum bits scuffed up, mismatched and incorrect turnbuckles and just generally filthy.

So tore it completely down, tossed the tired brushed bits in a box, went through shocks & transmission , scrubbed everything, polished the CVDs, sanded the scuffed aluminum bits a little and sprayed them with Norrell's Moly Resin. Some parts I had, like the shorty servo, receiver, some turnbuckle, white RPM ball cups, shock clamps, stainless hardware. Ordered up the turnbuckle I didn't have, a new Boki gear cover, Jconcepts tires & wheels, and of course the Hobbywing Quicrun sensored 120A ESC and 13.5T motor.

I did also find some NOS carbon fiber shock towers, but we'll sit on those until she's more experienced. Likewise for body replacement, just busied it up with some stickers for now.

It came together nicely for a budget build, and it's a very smooth & compliant little buggy! I may up the pinion size later on, but I think it has enough top end for MHOR as is. It's a tight & technical indoor track. Anyway:

View attachment 166297View attachment 166298View attachment 166300View attachment 166301View attachment 166302

View attachment 166299
Nice job. Cleaner than most of the restorations i do. Only difference if it was me building it would be to not use stainless hardware. I have found over the years that stainless is a bit soft, and strips fairly easy.

I really miss my B2 and my B3. Great buggies. You did an awesome job restoring this one.

View attachment 166292

View attachment 166293

View attachment 166297View attachment 166298View attachment 166300View attachment 166301View attachment 166302

View attachment 166299
Excellent! Good work.

Back