Arrma Kraton lvc issue ?? Maybe

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charge your batteries to 4.2v/cell.
Sometimes my batteries don't like fully charging to 4.2/cell. One of my hoovo 2s lipos only charges up to 4.19/cell which I am guessing is totally fine? I had been doing this recently where I let the amps go down to get the most charge. Like if I set it to 1C for 5.2A i wait until the amps go down to like .4 to get the most charge and it seems to charge fully to 4.2/cell.

You can charge your battery up to whatever volts you want. 4.2v is just the safe maximum. Around 4.7v is where they typically self destruct. Anything over 4.2v increases that end result. I have seen people set their charger to charge to 4.205v, just to make sure all the cells get there I guess. Drone racers are a different breed lol. I'm just a basher, and rarely even run through a full pack, so mibe us set for 4.2 and when it's done I run.

I'm not saying to overcharge your batteries. I am just saying your battery isn't holding you back from reaching 4.2v. Maybe it's your charger stopping as soon as it it hits 4.2v. On my Hota, the fully charged cells will flucuate just above 4.2v (like 4.201-4.202) until all cells get there.

The balance current on your charger is really low. So when one cell gets topped off, it is still charging that cell, but it is draining it off at the same time, while bringing the remaining cells to 4.2v. When your charger enters balance mode, and is using that balance circuit, it slows way down. That's where having a charger with good balance current really speeds up charging.

Each cell was at 4.19v and it run for about 15 min just doing passes had to stop frequently to let cars through . Lvc came on and I’ve unplugged it

Surely this battery not cheap at £118.99 @ 5000 mah should last longer

I will see what the cells are at when I get home and wait for further advice thanks

15 min run time on that pack is pretty respectable. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Our Kraton 6S only runs about 10-15 minutes on two 5200mAh 3s packs, depending on how much full throttle action it sees.

But £118.99 is what happens when you lock yourself into a proprietary battery and charger like the Spectrum or Traxxas smart batteries. That's how they get you. You gotta use their batteries, so they rape you with the cost. You can buy a much better battery for probably less than half that, but it won't be a "smart" battery. I highly recommend you eventually invest in a standard charger like a Hota D6Pro and regular LiPo batteries like Liperior or CNHL. They'll pay for themselves if you continue in this hobby with other kits.

So just got home it says the battery is at 14.47v and 3.64 3.62 3.68 3.52 It is warm so I’m going to leave it to cool Plan to charge it later when it’s cool and take for another run later
Hi wicked frog I’ve posted a picture of my setup . I’m not using a smart charger I allready had a charger from the past . I don’t know how good of a charger it is.

I have a G1 spektrum battery so it has a separate balance lead so it can be used on my charger.

That’s why when I bought it I decided on a spektrum g1 lipo with a seerate balance lead as opposed to the new g2 version that has the balance wire built in. As I new I could use my old charger . If I need to upgrade the charger I will do.

But if your saying 15 min is okay then it might be fine I was under the impression people bashed for 40 min to 1 hr. On one charge at around a 5000mah battery ?

15 min run time on that pack is pretty respectable. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Our Kraton 6S only runs about 10-15 minutes on two 5200mAh 3s packs, depending on how much full throttle action it sees.

But £118.99 is what happens when you lock yourself into a proprietary battery and charger like the Spectrum or Traxxas smart batteries. That's how they get you. You gotta use their batteries, so they rape you with the cost. You can buy a much better battery for probably less than half that, but it won't be a "smart" battery. I highly recommend you eventually invest in a standard charger like a Hota D6Pro and regular LiPo batteries like Liperior or CNHL. They'll pay for themselves if you continue in this hobby with other kits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
So just got home it says the battery is at 14.47v and 3.64 3.62 3.68 3.52 It is warm so I’m going to leave it to cool Plan to charge it later when it’s cool and take for another run later
Hi wicked frog I’ve posted a picture of my setup . I’m not using a smart charger I allready had a charger from the past . I don’t know how good of a charger it is.

I have a G1 spektrum battery so it has a separate balance lead so it can be used on my charger.

That’s why when I bought it I decided on a spektrum g1 lipo with a seerate balance lead as opposed to the new g2 version that has the balance wire built in. As I new I could use my old charger . If I need to upgrade the charger I will do.

But if your saying 15 min is okay then it might be fine I was under the impression people bashed for 40 min to 1 hr. On one charge at around a 5000mah battery ?
It will cool as it charges so no reason not to charge it while its warm. If you're wanting to run right away.

^^^^ this is why I don't get Traxxas ID or Spektrum smart batteries. 2s lipo from traxxas is about what like 70 dollars vs CHNL, Liperior lipos are 30-45 dollars. The Hoovo 2s 2 pack I got was 30 dollars and they are still going strong. The traxxas ID charger I have, it can do non traxxas batteries but I don't like it since I can't see IRs or the actual battery voltage. Also only does up to 4amps. (Prices in USD)

Lvc kicked in on that top quality battery . as op said its not cheap Spektrum is now making quality gear(news to me).. just cuz you paid amount dont make it a top quality cell. invest in a smc lipo. then you might get run time your expect

Yeah, the Spectrum and Traxxas batteries are way overpriced.

15 minutes isn't bad run time at all. The only RC's that are going to get 45 minute or more run time would be stuff like rock crawlers, where most of the time they are used at low speeds.

invest in a smc lipo. then you might get run time your expect
I got 2 of my old uncles lipos. SMC 7200 2s 130C packs. Hard case, stick pack, 5mm bullet inboard. 7 ish years I think he had them. He gave them to me. right now they are still going strong and OK IRs for 8 years old.
15 minutes isn't bad run time at all. The only RC's that are going to get 45 minute or more run time would be stuff like rock crawlers, where most of the time they are used at low speeds.
Speaking of run time. Those SMC lipos I got mentioned above I can get around 35 to 40 mins for regular bashing and like 2 speed passes. If it is strictly speed passes or runs it would probably last about 25 mins. Those SMC 7200 packs I got are the biggest mah battery I have.
Recently I had been looking at their DV extreme packs (2 and 3s) Might get one 3s with a trx connector since thats what I run. I think the 6700 one i was looking at was 55 dollars (USD) little more than CHNL or Liperior but not that bad. Vs those traxxas and spektrum at like 70 plus. One thing tho for traxxas and spektrum I believe I think their batteries has the balance port in the actual connector which you would have to use their smart chargers for.

All I was doing was speed passes this is why it prob isn’t lasting long ????

Going forward with battery’s for extended run time as 15 mins is to short when I have to travel sometimes 1 hour 30 min in the car just to use the Kraton for 15 mins and then travel 1 hour 30min home .

Would another battery better brand or

Instead 2 x 7.4v 2s. 5000mah in series

Would that last longer than one 4s 14.8v 5000

As the Kraton has a y cable in series on the esc ready for two x 2s

My theory is in series the volts add up but do the mah add up or do they stay at 5000mah still if in series . Or end up with 10000mah

I’m Not very experienced with electrical knowledge

Thanks leyla

I got 2 of my old uncles lipos. SMC 7200 2s 130C packs. Hard case, stick pack, 5mm bullet inboard. 7 ish years I think he had them. He gave them to me. right now they are still going strong and OK IRs for 8 years old.

Speaking of run time. Those SMC lipos I got mentioned above I can get around 35 to 40 mins for regular bashing and like 2 speed passes. If it is strictly speed passes or runs it would probably last about 25 mins. Those SMC 7200 packs I got are the biggest mah battery I have.
Recently I had been looking at their DV extreme packs (2 and 3s) Might get one 3s with a trx connector since thats what I run. I think the 6700 one i was looking at was 55 dollars (USD) little more than CHNL or Liperior but not that bad. Vs those traxxas and spektrum at like 70 plus. One thing tho for traxxas and spektrum I believe I think their batteries has the balance port in the actual connector which you would have to use their smart chargers for.

Two 2s 5000s in series would make a 4s 5000 pack.
In parallel they would make a 10Ah 2s pack.

Any brand that doesn't do exclusively batteries will sell overpriced lipos, unfortunately you could have gotten 2 or 3 good packs for the price of that Spektrum. Lesson learned.

is there a way to find the true c rating of the battery as it states 100c

Grey wolf I just spent over an hour digging into your firma lvc thread from a year ago and left me intrigued

is there a way to find the true c rating of the battery as it states 100c

Grey wolf I just spent over an hour digging into your firma lvc thread from a year ago and left me intrigued
If you're having to travel that far to run your RCs then you will need to invest in at least half a dozen or so packs and a dual charger that can run off our your cars battery and be charging lipos while you are running other lipos. If you have access to an electrical outlet where you are running then invest in a portable DC power supply and take it and the new more power dual charger with you and charge on location.

If your interested in true C ratings and the like then take a look at THIS thread.

What you want is more batteries so you can take a few packs with you, and you might as well get some with more mAh while you'reat it. You can buy batteries with more mAh, either 2S or 4S. And you can buy them a lot cheaper as nino said. Check out Grey's LiPo thread in the electtonics forum if you want to see true C ratings of a bunch of different batteries.

Look here for batteries that fit your rig. You'll have to check the sizes and see for yourself if they will fit.
https://chinahobbyline.com/?gclid=C...Bt93xE67b6xqejYLYKGjX2xt50eHVOehoCm30QAvD_BwE

https://rcbattery.com/batteries/liperior.html?brand=5457&brand=5457

https://www.smc-racing.com/

Back