Any other computer techs in the house?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok I'm about 3seconds from beating the hell out of my computer.

Ok about 2-3 days ago I received a bunch of blue screen of death errors in windows 2000 Pro. A few where ntkrnl.exe errors, a few where IRQ errors. So I figured i would reinstalled windows 2000 Pro, but while I did that I would replace the motherboard, cpu, ram, floppy drive, and add a new hard drive.

I'm now running:

Biostar M7VIT Pro
AMD Athlong XP 2200
(3) 512MB DDR PC-2700
40GB Maxtor 7200rpm ide hard drive.

I then formatted the HD to use the entire disk space with the NTFS file system. I then installed windows 2000 pro, and before anything else installed the NIC drivers, restarted, then started to run all of the windows updates. I am now completely updated execpt for windows media player 9.0.

I've installed a couple of programs and between then and now I have been getting this blue screen error:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

It then does a physcial memory dump where I have no option other then to restart the computer. I thought it might be the chipset drivers, so I downloaded the new VIA 4in1 Hyper driver and ran it, I'm still getting the error. Sometimes I can use the computer for a few hours, sometimes its only 30mins before the error pop-up.

Also I have checked the Event Log and I have about 3-4 pages of this same exact warning - " An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom1 during a paging operation. "

There are also a few error's in the event logger "RSM cannot manage library PhysicalDrive2. It encountered an unspecified error. This can be caused by a number of problems including, but not limited to, database corruption, failure communicating with the library, or insufficient system resources. "

Can anyone explain why I keep getting the "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal" blue screen of death error with the physcial memory dump?

----------------------------------

Someone else where recommened
this link to me, but I dont see how anything applies to me. The error doesn't happen when I shut down, start up or save something to a floppy disk. It's usually when I'm surfing the internet or chatting on AIM does it give me that error.

What I dont understand is that I've been using Win2k for over a year with all the same software and drivers then suddenly one day Windows is messing up. I replace pretty much the entire system and do a clean install and that still doesn't fix it.

----------------------------------

My current system setup is as follows if this means anything to anyone:

Biostar M7VIT Pro
AMD Athlong XP 2200
(3) 512MB DDR PC-2700
40GB Maxtor 7200rpm ide hard drive
60GB IBM 7200rom ide hard drive
LiteON 48x CD-RW
LiteON 16x DVD-ROM
Sound Blaster 5.1 Platinum with LiveDrive
3-port firewire
Hercules GeForce3
Windows 2000 Pro with SP3
IE6 with SP1

-------------------------------------

Any ideas guys?

-Michael

What NIC card/s are you using?

I started with an Intel Pro 100S, but later took it out and am using the onboard NIC.

-Michael

Your NIC issue link doesn't work, could you give that to me again?

Here is the STOP Code I got about 5mins ago:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xC5782111, 0x00000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804637C5)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address 804637C5 base at 80400000, DateStamp 3df90c0d - ntoskrnl.exe

-Michael

Have you applied Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000Pro yet?

The problem is def a hardware/driver conflict.

If you load all the latest drivers and you are still having the problem, disable all your non critical hardware in the device manager. Such as your CDROMs, your soundcard, your nic, your USB/Firewire, etc etc. Then see if the problem goes away. If it does...start adding one peice of hardware back at a time. I would also check out the HCL to make sure all your hardware is listed.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx

Finally, If that still doesn't work.....pull all devices and take the system down to just MB, RAM, FD, CDROM, standard video card, and HDD. Then add one device at a time to the system, start with your NIC nd laod one device one driver at a time.

That last link seems to sum up my problem, other then the fact that the Biostar M7VIT uses the KT400 chipset.

-Michael

robriguez - I've done all that, I've basically built a whole new computer installed all the newest updates and drivers before installing any software.

The error still occurs.

-Michael

Did you change anything in the BIOS? Sometimes I have weird Windows problems and then I went into the BIOS and set the defaults again and things started working.

Is there any BIOS updates that you can apply? Double check that the BIOS is allowing the OS to handle IRQ stuff.

My success rate with VIA chipset boards have been like 40%. I can't stand those 4 n 1 drivers. Those could be your problem.

Another troubleshooting tip is to remove everything except what you need to boot the system and see if it causes your problem.

Is the memory new? Try running memtest86 on it and see if it passes.

I hate to be the one to say this but........you get what you pay for. I have ALWAYS spent countless hours whenever buying a "cheap" MB or any other hardware for that matter. There is always driver issues and dead or malfunctioning chips. I use ASUS or ABIT. my .02

I Use nothing but ABIT in my home systems. Asus and IBM at work.

What I was refferring to Woodie was to strip the system and load the OS before you reinstall everything else. Then see if the problem stiss exists. If so then the prob is def your MB or the drivers for the onboard devices.

Ok I've spent some time reading around about your issue and here's what I think it is.

KT 400 has some heat issues with the FSB on some MB models. If you are over clocked this might be the problem and you would actually underclock to isolate the problem so you know if its a hardware issue (bad hardware) Once your satisfied that the MB is working properly go to http://www.viaarena.com/ and get the latest 4in1. Via also says if you are having problems it is uncommon but sometimes works if you rool back to an older driver. The second most common reason I found for this is when people use 300 watt and below power supplies. This does not supply enough juice for your MB so I ask what are your poer supply specs?

Third are you trying to manually assign your IRQ's?

humboldtblazer - Your comment about the motherboard being "cheap" as to imply junk. I would agree with you before I got the job I currently hold working for a small pc repair shop. As I too never heard much about Biostar.

Since I've worked here (2yrs+) I've RMA'ed about 30-40 Biostar motherboards. We sell about 40-50 a month, in either new systems or over the counter. Quick math thats a .05% RMA rate. Now don't get me wrong Biostar is not a fancy board like Asus or Abit, they don't overclock the best or whatever, but thats fine we don't need a board that does that, neither do I - I myself find it pointless to overclock anymore other then to say you did it.

Normally I would buy an Asus - hours are cut and cost for this site increases. So its either buy an Asus or take down the site? I chose getting a Biostar MB.

Ok back to the problem at hand. It seems other people have had many problems with SP3 on windows2000 pro. Thus I have once again reformatted the HD and reinstalled win2k pro. This time I will go back to the good ol days of SP2. From there I'm going to install the rest of the drivers and updates other then SP3 and see if that does anything better.

Being that I am at work now, I wont be finished with it until later this evening after I get off work. Also NO - I do not or have not manually configured any IRQ's.

So I guess we'll see if SP3 is the problem or not, it started during that time, and after I did the clean install with SP3 it did it again and hasn't stopped...we shall see.

-Michael

ps. As I said I would like an Asus board over any of them, however I would never own an Abit - in fact they have the highest RMA rates in the business. Don't get me wrong, if you get a working one those things kick ass, it's just a matter of finding one that works.

I guess what I meant by cheap was inecpensive hardware that is not heard about to much so you dont know if the quality is there or not.

I used to run strictly Abit boards until I started having problems with the caps. I just recently made the switch to Asus when I built my new computer. I am running the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. This board has a lot of great features and it is rock solid.

A great place to look for computer stuff new or used is AnandTech's For Sale / For Trade forums. Almost every PC I have built for friends and family has at least one piece inside the box that I got from AnandTech. :)

mcvickj - Thats the board I want. I've used Asus for the last 4 years and loved them. Maybe in a few months I will get that board and play with the new Serial ATA hard drives.

-Michael

here is yet another KB article that should help troubleshoot the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314063

EDIT: this is for XP, but if you recall XP and win2k use the same kernel.

Assuming you're using the same software down to the anti-virus can firewall applications, my gut says SP2 will exibit the same problem if you use the same drivers.

This particular error occurs when a kernel mode process tries to access memory or resources it shouldn't. (It's like a GPF at a hardware level.) That means a driver (or more likely the hardware) is causing the error.

Being that you work in a PC repair shop, maybe you can swap all of the components you changed with others (one at a time of course). The chipset issue humboldt brought up is a good possibility. You never said what watt power supply you are running. Under voltage will cause stuff to act weird.

Does the chipset get hot at all to the touch while the PC is in use? You might be able to put a heatsink on the chipset and solve your woahs.

I'm thinking hardware or drivers. You said you disabled all of the non-critical devices one at a time like mcvickj suggested. If that'sthe case, you're left with chipset drivers and hardware failure.

Good Luck,
-Rob

Last edited:
Hey Woodie you ever figure out your problemo? I'm kinda interested as to what was happening.

Woodie i got that problem about dumping physical memory i restarted and i was sound as a pound

humboldtblazer - Yesterday I did another clean install of Windows 2000 Pro and only updated it to SP2 instead of 3, since I've heard people having problems.

Everything was rock solid, I installed NAV2003 everything went fine, I got up this morning to a blue physcial memory dump screen again. I figured it was NAV cause everything was fine before then. I also have NAV set to scan at 3:30AM which means it would have been in use lastnight.

Since then I've uninstalled NAV2003 and will wait a day or two, if all goes well then I'll install McAfee and see if that does the same thing.

-Michael