computer hard drive problem **help**

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retarded pilot

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok heres the story,
there was a brown out or power spike at my wifes work, directly after the computer was rebooted & got the blue screen of death.. "unmountable boot volume"... booted from xp cd into recovery mode, tried chkdsk /p & chkdsk /r
both came back at 50% with unrecoverable errors ....so off to best buy bought another hard drive & installed windows...
now i conected the old drive as slave thinking i could save the files i need off the old drive ....but when i go to my computer & click on the old drive it says "drive is not formated would you like to format, i chose no ....

if anyone tell me how i can get to the files to copy them to the new drive i would be eternaly gratefull :wasted:

thanks

There is a wonderful little prgram called GetDataBack. I think it was 70 or 80 dollars. It worked for me when a random reboot chewed up my master boot record. You can download it and run it for free, to see if it works. But, you can't actually recover the files, without paying for the program.

Don't write to the drive, you want to recover data from. You could over write files you want to recover.

Get it here.

It works well, for if you accedently delete a file, too.

I have saved many people from disaster using this.... just burn the CD then boot to it... it runs a live version of Linux......
http://www.knoppix.net/

take a pen drive and it will detect it..... if your HD is not totally toast it should detect the HD also. Then you should be able to transfer the files from the HD to the pen drive.

sLY

thanks guys.. i actualy downloaded the getdataback & its looking at the drive now ...seems to be reading a lot of bad sector chunks & a lot of files ...guess ill see in about 3 hours what it got ....msly ill try the knoppix next, is it fairly user frendly? also would it transfer files to my good master hard drive?.. or would i NEED a pen drive?

thanks again guys, i REALLY appericate it

retarded pilot said:
thanks guys.. i actualy downloaded the getdataback & its looking at the drive now ...seems to be reading a lot of bad sector chunks & a lot of files ...guess ill see in about 3 hours what it got ....msly ill try the knoppix next, is it fairly user frendly? also would it transfer files to my good master hard drive?.. or would i NEED a pen drive?

thanks again guys, i REALLY appericate it

there really is not much to do... just make sure your CD rom is the first bootable drive...... then boot to the CD...you will need burning software to burn the CD from a ISO... its pretty easy your burning software should know what to do with the file one you download it..... like I said once you boot to the CD it will act like a live linux Operation system..... once you plug your pen drive if you have one.... you should be able to drag any files over to it from the HD... the only problem would be if the drive is so bad it will not be fixable...

Good Luck

You could try fixboot and fixmbr at the recovery console (if you can get there). Maybe one of those will work.

I had the same thing happen, thanks to some truck driver that took out a power pole (because he wasn't looking).

About the only way to really prevent this from happening is preventive backups.

Just out of curiosity, you set the jumpers correctly on the old drive when you made it slave right?

sorry jet, i should have mentioned these are serial ata (sata) drives ...so there no
master slave jumpers to set. ...
well getdataback found a LOT of files on it including everything in my documents witch is what my wife REALLY needed ...now i just have to try knopix & see if it works or i have to pay the money to register getdata to get her files back ...even if i do have to pay it will be well worth it