Any Large Bird Owners?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've been fascinated with large birds like Parrots,Macaws and Cockatoos since I was kid. Lately I have seen several to re-homed on craigslist and have been having thoughts of selling a couple of my rc's to fund the purchase.

I just found out today that a small pet shop across town has several birds on hand and spent a couple of hours there talking to their trainer and playing with the birds. My favorite I wanted to take home was the Sulfur Crested Cockatoo(Fred if you're old enough to remember "Baretta"). As soon as I walked up to the cage it said "I Love You" and put it's head where I could pet it. I can't do the $1800 from there though :( On craigslist they've been $500-$800

Just wondering if anyone here has one and can give me some firsthand info on owning one. I do know they can be noisy,poop a lot and most require a lot of attention.

Last edited:
We had two blue fronted amazons and a cockatoo, as well as a few other birds when I was growing up. We purchased 10 year old "salty" when I was about 12, but unfortunately had sold them all off by the time I was about 22 or 23. I'm willing to bet he's alive and well today, and would probably even recognize me.....I'm 37 now. He was a very vocal bird, and would often yell for Larry, his previous owner.

Salty was pretty much my bird, because when we first went to see him he instantly took a liking to me. Salty hated women, and would do anything to take a nice chunk out of my mother and step-sisters. As time went on we found ouselves having less time for them, and they became noisier as a result.

I want you to understand that these animals are unbelievably smart. The only bird that's said to be more intelligent than parrots, macaws, and cockatoos is the crow. They will need lots of attention, can easily outlive you, and need to be kept in a stable environment....no moving from apartment to apartment every few years etc. If you can meet that basic criteria, then there's no better pet to have, they are awesome! I used to take salty to the store with me, right on my shoulder. He wouldn't leave my side if his life depended on it.

With that said, please be careful and do not rush into getting one. They're all as different as humans, and it's best to see a few before making your choice. Good luck!

---------- Post added at 7:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:34 AM ----------

BTW, they can smell fear a mile away, so when you approach one be sure to put your game face on.....Understand that they can literally bite your finger off, but do not show fear.

I got one of the don't shut up African Grey,, and when it is said he mimics all that is herd believe it. !4 years old an gonna out live me. Have threatened to take him to taxadermist several times but wife wont let me. I honestly believe he can out talk O Bama with out the lies.

Never had a large bird but I've always liked them. I grew up with a Jenday and green cheeked conure. They are fun. If I could have my way (and didn't mind the cleanup maitenence, which unfortunately these days I do) I'd get an Amazon or B&G.

If you would be willing to make a drive i would gladly give you a bird with the cage and everything for free. PM me your number and i can send you some pics. My computer is dead and i dont have any on my g/fs laptop.

---------- Post added at 3:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:17 PM ----------

i believe it is a double yellow head amazon

I want you to understand that these animals are unbelievably smart. The only bird that's said to be more intelligent than parrots, macaws, and cockatoos is the crow. They will need lots of attention, can easily outlive you, and need to be kept in a stable environment....no moving from apartment to apartment every few years etc. If you can meet that basic criteria, then there's no better pet to have, they are awesome!

I can cover the basic criteria easily :)

I got one of the don't shut up African Grey,, and when it is said he mimics all that is herd believe it. !4 years old an gonna out live me. Have threatened to take him to taxadermist several times but wife wont let me. I honestly believe he can out talk O Bama with out the lies.

I was told the African Gray parrot will have the intelligence of a 5 year old child. And that they don't just mimic,they actually know what they are saying and when to say it. They really aren't the ones I think I want.

If you would be willing to make a drive i would gladly give you a bird with the cage and everything for free. PM me your number and i can send you some pics. My computer is dead and i dont have any on my g/fs laptop.

---------- Post added at 3:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:17 PM ----------

i believe it is a double yellow head amazon

Seriously? What part of Louisiana? PM sent.

They have a double yellow head at Petland named Lolita. Even after months of visits,she still doesn't like me. She loves my wife,dances and talks like crazy around her.

Large birds are similar to cats. They choose their people. My wife and I had Cockatiels and the male hated me but loved her. He would wolf-whistle at her when she would come into the room. The Female loved me and would come right to me when I opened the cage and would snuggle up against my shoulder and watch TV with me.

Cockatiels may be like cats, but large birds are practically capable of judging you. Our blue fronts knew the sound of our vehicles before we pulled in the driveway. You could literally watch different birds react to different vehicles depending on who they heard pulling in.
African greys are probably the smartest of them all. We had one for a week and it's former owner called us crying, so she got him back.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. The parrots adopt you. I've known a few large bird owners and their birds are inseparable from them and even sound like them.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

This thread is killing me. Years ago I REALLY wanted to get a Amazon or B&G. I can't see myself spending the proper time with the lovey/playful types, but I still love them nonetheless.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. The parrots adopt you. I've known a few large bird owners and their birds are inseparable from them and even sound like them.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

No doubt, it's a bond for life, usually the bird's life.:D They are amazing creatures and I could only dream of having that kind of time.

Racer, your best bet is to find someone who raises them, not just one or two, but several.....you don't want a spoiled one, just a good one.

2011-12-27_13-35-15_862.jpg

2012-05-01_17-53-06_823.jpg

2012-05-02_05-08-44_507.jpg

---------- Post added at 2:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:00 PM ----------

Yeah he is a beast.

---------- Post added at 2:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:00 PM ----------

2012-05-01_17-52-58_11.jpg

While not large, my wife has a Green Cheek that will go out of it's way to bite me. I think the little bastard has little man syndrome or he's just pissed that his name is Pooper and he's taking it out on me.

She also has a Pionis which is larger than the Green Cheek. She has no problem with me.

You know what I can't stand... when people spend hundreds or thousands on a beautiful bird, then stuff it in a cage that can barely support it's wingspan. Randy, I know you're a bright fella, but please please do your research.

---------- Post added at 4:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:52 PM ----------

Oh by the way... see that lock B Miller has on that cage. You will need one of those. My bet is that cage originally came with a long rod that slipped through a couple eyelets in the cage to keep the door close. Even the Jenday conure I grew up with figured out how to pull it all the way out.

You know what I can't stand... when people spend hundreds or thousands on a beautiful bird, then stuff it in a cage that can barely support it's wingspan. Randy, I know you're a bright fella, but please please do your research.

---------- Post added at 4:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:52 PM ----------

Oh by the way... see that lock B Miller has on that cage. You will need one of those. My bet is that cage originally came with a long rod that slipped through a couple eyelets in the cage to keep the door close. Even the Jenday conure I grew up with figured out how to pull it all the way out.

I hope your not talking about the cage i have the bird in.

I was actually, but I didn't want to throw you under the bus directly. Since you did it for me I'll discontinue my attempt at being nice. Sorry dude, just my opinion. I don't expect you to agree.

It's okay. It was kinda obvious. My grandmother passed away recently and it was her bird. I was the only one in the family that was even willing to take him. So that is the cage he came with . I completely agree with you tho he does need a bigger one I just dont have the funds to drop 200+ bucks on him a nice one right now. No offense taken lessen was just letting you know the situation.