Another quick question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just noticed that when I spin the spur gear the tires/driveshaft don't move. I can see a small shaft sticking out of the transmission that is right above the brake and it spins with the spur gear.

Whats wrong?

And if I spin the brake it spins all 4 tires and the spur gear slightly.

Last edited:
Nothing. It takes alot of rpm to get tires to turn by spinning spur gear. You can do it with compressed air.

Oh, ok, Thanks! I was worried I was going to have to replace it.

nothing thats how my maxx was b4 i put a forward only conversion in it. you could spin the spur all day either way. When the motor reaches the right rmp a lil hook catchs a knotch in the reversing gear that makes it moved forward with the shaft is in and backwards when the shifting shaft is out. Unless you just want reverse putting a foc in it makes the tranny much more reliable and easier on your drivetrain

Well for now, since I'm running my broken in .15 pro I'll stick with reverse. Just to see how it is. I have a "never seen fuel" 2.5R that is going in it when it warms up again. I'll see how I feel about it and go from there.

Here's one thing that I don't understand, the Tmaxx is a 2 speed. But the pictures of the FOC's I have seen only have 1 gear on the shaft, whats the deal with that? Does it make it a 1 speed as well?

I'm not completely sure on this one (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but from my understanding of the black tranny when second gear kicks in a hook catches one of the three pins in the second gear once the right rpm is reached via your adjustment of the allen head adjustment not having anything to do with the reversing gear the replacement gear is just just basically there to keep everything tight

The shift occurs on the middle (primary) shaft not the bottom output shaft. The foc does not delete the 2 speed.

I got ya. I didn't know that there was more than 1 shaft in the tranny. I have seen 1 speed conversion kits. Why would someone want a 1 speed instead of a 2 speed?

Only raeason I can think of would be so it would go slower.

Center diff conversions have only one speed and it distributes power equally to front and rear in order to keep all fours on ground for control and handling. Like a buggy and truggy. My one speed buggy will outrun the crap outta my two speed tmaxx all day. Tmaxx may catch up in a long run, maybe. But the quick take off and instant response from buggy is no comparison. Also if you are racing you really dont want two speeds on a track. You want quicker response and take off no wheelies and all fours on ground for best cornering. If geared right a center diff can be as fast or even faster too end than a two speed tranny.

Zdragon is correct, also less moving parts, = less broken parts= less wear and tear. I have been running a single speed in a tmaxx model #4910, for like several years, its got way better accel and handles a ton better.

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo: