Another Problem :( i think, need diagnosing help ? =/

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantherqs

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so i bought another HPI car today, built it, ran one tank through it elevated off the ground w/no throttle at all... and i decided to wait untill tommorow to run the second tank.. and finish the breakin procedure, because i didnt want to take ANY chances of this engine screwing up on me like the other one did... well anyway, i got it home, decided to yank the spark plug, and just rotated the motor... with no plug and no compression it still has quite a bit of resistance at top dead center and bottom dead center... is this normal? should i continue the break in ? or should i cease now and tear the motor down? :(

That's perfectly normal for a new engine. As it wears, this resistance, or "pinch", as it's called, will wear away. Some people use it as a wear indicator.

geezus.. thank god. i was about to quit this whole nitro thing after not even two weeks of play if this motor was pooched... my old .15 just died a terrible terrible death =P
i really appreciate your response, you've just made my day :D

on another note, now that i think of it, this thing was stuck pretty good... i actually had to crank that rotostart a whoooole shitload of times to get it to turn... would that also be normal?
i just ran another tank through it, once it started it had no problems running... the idle would go a little higher every now and again.... i'm assuming this is a good thing correct? =D

That's normal. If it sticks in the 'pinch zone', Personally, I take the glowplug out and use a chopstick (wooden one) to GENTLY tap the piston down with the handle of the glow plug wrench.

Best tool ever, plus it comes free with chinese takeout (ya have to ask for 'em).

try heating up the engine befor you start it.. at least till you get it broke in good.. that will loosen up the "pinch" and keep from killing your one way or roto start setup..

It's always a good idea to heat up the mill before cranking while it still has pinch. This ensures the longest life of your engine.

Back