Another 18650 battery question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi, I posted a previous thread about another question on 18650 batteries and ways to charge them. This is a follow up question to that thread: I did some research and saw many people charging 18650 batteries using alligator clips clipped to the ends of the battery and charging them that way. Has anyone had experience with this or can comment on if it will work? Thanks! Looking for a way to recharge 18650 bats without buying a designated charger and just using my rc one.

It should work if you charge one at a time. Make sure the clips are on securely, and set your charger to charge a 1s LiIon. Also, just be super careful not to short out the clips. Take my reply with a few grains of salt as I have no experience with LiIons except for mobile devices (obviously).

Ok thanks! What I have seen is that people attach small magnets in between the alligator clips and one terminal of the battery to keep them secure. Then they charge as a 1s li-ion at a low amperage.

I've been thinking about this also, I've seen on youtube alot of guys store them in just a metal bucket. I reckon if your worried about one blowing up, store them in an ammo can. The problem I see is they all keep batteries stored in the same pile. If one goes they all go kind of sinareo. If one goes, I don't think an ammo can will be suffice. The "fire resistant" coolers you guys are showing in the other threads are nice, but how many batteries is is capable of holding at maximum explosion. Maybe a single battery sure but if you have a dozen in there it's kind of game over I don't care what the manufacturer says. I haven't had an issue with any pack yet, but kind of call bull poop on the special "safety" crap. But... I'm only one guy in a bunch.

I think most battery mishaps happen while charging or in use, usually if they have been damaged. When charging it's good to charge on a fireproof surface preferably well ventilated. Storage wise, once again, a fireproof surface should be sufficient.

A lot of paranoia has been generated over lipo batteries, I think in reality actual incidents are rare considering the massive number of lipo batteries out there. This does not mean you shouldn't use common sense.

Then they land on the carpet and catch it on fire and you put it out.
It was more exciting than the Batteries in an Arma Kraton catching fire in my kitchen. My son is showing me his new car and the ESC failed to a short with 2 3s packs in series. I just carried that outside and put it out with an extinguisher. No drama. No carnage to the house. They sent him a new one.
IMG_6251-M.jpg

Back