aluminum vs. derlin(plastic)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booggieman2u

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok on my pulling truck I run aluminum for the weight but on my. s/c truck I run derlin would aluminum be more durable or just extra weight?

Just extra weight. IMO you want the least amount of unsprung weight you can so you can get the most from the motor/gearing combo with the least heat build up and battery drain.

Who makes Delrin wheels?

Just extra weight. IMO you want the least amount of unsprung weight you can so you can get the most from the motor/gearing combo with the least heat build up and battery drain.

Who makes Delrin wheels?

X2! :thumbup1:

The weakest part of plastic wheels, derlrin or not, would be the hubs.

Derlin is the actual name if poly ethelyn which is in most plastics just so you know

Derlin is the actual name if poly ethelyn which is in most plastics just so you know

Sorry bro,that is incorrect. I work in plastics for a living. Polyethelene and Delrin are totally different. Delrin is a trade name for special grade of Acetal. The characteristics of Acetal are far better than Polyethelene.

Just so you know too, most wheels are Nylon or ABS. Polyethelene is too flimsy unless you add expensive fillers,then it's too costly.

Here's a couple of links to some wheels that I built the molds for. These are for CO2 dragsters.

Super C wheel
Px wheel
Nitro Hub

Thanks for playing but you lose. :p

Delrin wich is actual Acetal but just a name brand is not the same as regular plastic at all, its not like nylon or ABS. I use Acetal ALL the time to make things and I know for sure its not the same. Derlin wheels arent very common, mainly in crawling but thats about the main place where actual Acetal wheels are use, other than that they are most likely ABS.

Edit: Racer beet me too it.....by a long ways, I should read all posts first lol.

Hmm ok well that's what guy at local hobby shop told my oh well better to ask and know that just assume :)thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it!

Your fired!

lol Jk.

Aww dang fired again man I just can't get a break lol but seriously thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it

Back