alternatives to green slime?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the thread title and thought this was about sealing a leaking tire. That's the only green slime I've ever heard of. I just use shock oil on all the o rings.

In the automotive industry, we don't use white lithium on anything that isn't metal. If I need something 'slick' on plastic or rubber, I use trans gel. if you rub it on a baseball, it would go through a garden hose. Amazing stuff.

20240322_065236.jpg

I read the thread title and thought this was about sealing a leaking tire. That's the only green slime I've ever heard of. I just use shock oil on all the o rings.

In the automotive industry, we don't use white lithium on anything that isn't metal. If I need something 'slick' on plastic or rubber, I use trans gel. if you rub it on a baseball, it would go through a garden hose. Amazing stuff.

View attachment 185583
I thought the same.

hey howsit going
i just got my desert lizard shocks in. I'm all eager to put them together when i realised as per usual i forgot something. in this case green slime for the o rings. are there alternatives that would work as well?
i use a blue marine-type grease that I picked up at a motocross shop, $12 and you'll get more than enough for your RCs.

"Green Slime" isn't bad, but you're basically paying $10 for a tiny sample.

Last edited:
A little tip for you guys that I learned in the machining industry as a manager of a machine shop... we had to keep records of MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) in case any employee needed those records for safety concerns. If you buy a product such as oils or grease you should be able to get the MSDS from the seller, as they are required by law to keep that in their records for safety reasons, and are required to give that info to their employees upon request. I am not sure how that requirement is observed with regards to the consumer buying it retail, but I was quickly sent the MSDS for Green Slime shock lube.

The MSDS has to list the manufacturer, where it's made, and their product name for it. Associated's Green Slime is simply another grade of lithium grease called Polymer 400, made by Balmar LLC in Lafayette LA.

Green Slime shock lube is sold for roughly $270.31 per ounce!

The exact same product (Polymer 400) can be purchased for $1.43 per ounce.
Liquid-O-Ring Polymer 400 Premium Tractor Grease (14oz) – Great for Bearings, Valves, and More - Made in The USA, Lithium-Complex Based, High-Temperature, Water-Repellent https://a.co/d/aMvY1As

And learning that it is just another grade of lithium based grease, I won't be using the bottle I bought. I can't tell a difference using it anyway 🤪

Last edited:
I have a tube of factory team green slime my uncle gave me years ago. Never opened it. I mainly use red and tacky from Lucas oil. Or what I use is basically the same. It's red synthetic grease from mobil 1. Use it in the diff case, transmissions and diffs (diffs that aren't sealed)

For shock o / x rings I just put some shock oil on to lube them up like what the others said.

And by the way... in doing a little digging, Green Slime (Polymer 400) is not meant to be used with rubber or plastic either. Go figure 😜

I'm willing to bet if the same bit of research was done on silicone shock oils, you guys would be shocked to see how much it's marked up after being stuck in tiny bottles and sold as "shock oil".

People are sheep. Do some research.

I buy my silicone fluids in bulk by the gallon from a company called Clearco:
https://www.clearcoproducts.com/

I then bought a used viscometer off eBay and have blended my own fluids to save a small fortune. Cost me around $800 total for the initial investment for everything, but broke even within a year after selling "re-fills" at the track locally when the pandemic shut down distribution and I was the only guy with fluids, ha!

I like to use Johnson's baby shampoo, it keeps my shocks fresh and soft. And I get no more tears.

Disclaimer: Do not use Johnson's Baby Shampoo in you shocks if you like to cry, or prefer your shocks hard you pervert.

I like to use Johnson's baby shampoo, it keeps my shocks fresh and soft. And I get no more tears.

Disclaimer: Do not use Johnson's Baby Shampoo in you shocks if you like to cry, or prefer your shocks hard you pervert.
Go hard or go home!

You're confusing baby shampoo with Jergens.

Back