Alternate to heat gun?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Here shortly I have some soldering I need to do, but I don't have a heat gun. Besides a lighter, what would be a good alternative for heating up heat shrink?

I've used a soldering iron before, just sweep it across the shrink wrap being sure not to go too slow.

A cheap pencil torch works great!...if your better halve has a good hair dryer it will work good, you can make a heat divergence cone from a piece of cardboard or the top of a soda bottle to concentrate the heat!.....ya I know, lmao

I've used a soldering iron before, just sweep it across the shrink wrap being sure not to go too slow.

OK, Problem is I am heat shrinking a board, not just wires

A cheap pencil torch works great!...if your better halve has a good hair dryer it will work good, you can make a heat divergence cone from a piece of cardboard or the top of a soda bottle to concentrate the heat!.....ya I know, lmao

I didn't think of concentrating the air out of the hair dryer.. I will most definitely try that.. I think it may work better than the iron approach.

I use a solder reflow station. Its adjustable from 100-500F, the fan speed is also adjustable, and the spread of the airflow with various tips.
IMG_7018.jpg

If you have a Harbor Freight near you get on of their cheapie heat guns, had mine for over a year and so for so good.

If not you could use a propane torch on a very low setting, just have to keep it moving to keep from burning the shrink.

I misread your original post...yeah if a heat gun will work I have one I'll give you if you wanna pay shipping....I have like 3 cheapies that I dont even use.

@sur3fir3