airplane question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i have 2 planes here that I've been looking at for maybe getting into the flying side of the hobby a little more. i have an old firebird commander from a while back, but it was way too easy to fly, it got a little boring pretty quickly, so here are 2 planes i was thinking about.

the parkzone supercub. heard lots of good things about it, i like the more scale look, but again, it has anti-crash technology and sounds a little the commander. the only difference is its 3 channel and not 2, so theres a little more control

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_hobbyzone_super_cub.htm

Next up is the Parkzone P-51. The P-51 is my favorite WWII fighter, and looking at this model theres a setting on the tx that restricts surface movement for beginners. Then, you can turn that off and have some more acrobatics. That sounds good for when you get a little better.

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_parkzone_p51d_mustang.htm

any advice?

My advice if you're looking to basically start on one of those two is to go with the Cub. High wing planes are far more stable and easier to negotiate. They may not have the aerobatic capabilities, but at this stage that something that isn't in the picture. The P-51 is also my favorite WWII era fighter. But its low wing makes it touchy and harder to fly.

thats exactly what i thought. would the p-51 be the next step up or would there be something better? i'm trying to see where i stand exactly

If you refine your skills well on the Cub, the P-51 would be a good next step. I think a lot of people move to a low wing aileron ship after getting the basics on the high wing stuff.

gotcha. thanks for the advice.

Brushless is nice for a power system. But a few things to consider at this stage. The Super Cub is bigger. On the plus side, that means more stable flight and better performance if it's a bit windy. It should be steadier and more docile to learn the basics on. On the con side, it will probably require a bit more room to fly as it may not turn quite as sharp as the smaller one.
The regular Cub has the brushless on the plus side. And a radio system that can be reused. It's smaller and may be more adaptable to local parks or fields. On the con side, it will be more twitchy and more influenced by the wind.
If you have some resonable flight experience with the Firebird you would probably be ok with the smaller one.

i see there isn't that great a difference in size. the brushless does sound nice for the j-3. if i get one, i'll probobly go for that one

If your going to step up on flying get a 4 channel. look around and get something with both ailerons and an rudder. The extra channel is a lot easier for learning how to turn more with wings and is just plain easier turning. Something else you could do, which is what i did, is get a 3D foamie. Gives you everything and lets you have plenty to learn with. The foam is really durable and strong and you can easily glue it back together if you crash. You can adjust the settings and make it fly slower and when your ready move up in speed and do more moves and have more fun. I'd recommend the typhoon2 from parkzone because it has a better radio system, brushless and comes with a 3 cell lipo. Just my $.02

i was looking at the foamie's from e-flite, but i just didn't really know. i saw the typhoon, as the j-3 cub is also made by parkzone. i wasn't really sure on how hard they were to fly.

i went to hobbytown tonight and was messing around with the simulator they have there..i tried 5-6 planes and crashed every single one of them. i did best with the ultimate bi-plane though

would the typhoon really be a good next step? I'm not really bad at the simulator, i just can't really do anything looking at a little plane on a screen

Ya it really would. It's what i did and i'm really glad i did. you regret it bro.

would the typhoon really be a good next step? I'm not really bad at the simulator, i just can't really do anything looking at a little plane on a screen

Ya it really would. It's what i did and i'm really glad i did. you regret it bro.

Would you two, for the love of Pete, PLEASE try to practice some semblance of grammar? I have to believe there is a teacher in Alpharetta and one in Graham on the verge of slitting their respective wrists!

Sorry. Capitalization and periods. I've been texting too much lately without spending an equal amount of time on here.

I just got home from the hobbytown again. The plane guy there said no to the Typhoon and yes to the T-28.

Back