Air Filter Air Flow Tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderTiger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This is some information i "Collected" a while back. Not sure on the merits of it, but it did come from a long time friend who is an RC Nitro guru and an ex-Racer. The information concerns the air filter and the oil used to retard the entry of particles into the air flow and subsequently the engine and was "Collected" when i first started in nitro. I taped the conversation for future refference and promptly mis-placed it !! i found the tape again today after 4 1/2 years (!!!!) whilst looking for something entirely different in my shed:hehe: Ain't that always the way ? Anyway, since i am looking at using this info in practice, I'm looking for some opinions on it.

This is a short transcript of the "Taped" conversation, short due to my machine eating the tape !!!

ME: "So, whats this i heard you going off about with regard to air filter oils and air draw characteristics on a nitro engine then ??"

FRIEND: "OH, That. Well, despite the many tuning abilitys of R/C vehicles, there is one aspect of a nitro engined vehicle that is ALWAYS either completely overlooked, or just glossed over completely as if it did not matter. That aspect, is Air filter oils. Different weight oils equate to different air draw ratings through the filter. Lighter oil will give better air draw characteristics and stop larger particles of dust and dirt entering the air channels and subsequently the carburettor, while heavier oils will give a lower air draw characteristic while blocking smaller particles. Also, oils used in winter months should be lighter than you would expect as the cold makes it "Thicker" due to the colder weather.

This is particularly useful information to some people, especially those that run in dusty areas, or those who plan to run "Lid-less" (or "Top Less" or "Body -Less") on sand or other areas that have particularly "Dirty" and particle contaminated air, caused by running a rig or otherwise. It will also allow a person to fine tune an engine due to taking into consideration the issue of air flow.

What many people fail to realise with a nitro engine is that the oil that they use on their air filters will also play a part in the tuning of the engine, just as much as atmospheric and humidity level changes will.

An example of this is using a thick air filter oil on a hot day. Since warmer air particles are less dense (EDITED Form "Denser" as per Lessen & Pill), having to be drawn through a thicker filter oil will add the need for further carb tuning, moreso than would be needed had the correct oil been used in the first place. The effect of this can be less power availability based on how rich the engine needs to be run to compensate for the air filter oil, humidity level of the day, the variables of fuel nitro content and plug timing (based on the glow plug used) and carb needle settings and it can be a minefield of contradictions."

ME: "So how do I do this then ?"

FRIEND: " Well, the best thing to do when tuning an engine using the "Air Flow" principle, is to run on an "Average" day where it is neither hot or cold. The aim is to adjust (tune) the engines carburettor to suit the weather. This is when you can begin to experiment with different weight oils on several air filters of the same brand. The oil that gives the best overall performance is the one to use in those conditions. In hotter weather a lighter should be used and vice versa in colder weather. It's not a "Science", but you may need to do this on several occasions under prefferably mirrored weather conditions to get the best results.

Generally, try to use good quality silicone shock oils between 10wt and 50wt for tuning the air flow on air filters as these are both the lightest and heaviest weights that should be used. Any lighter or heavier and you cause yourself a lot of aggro that you do not need. Your oils should step-up in increments of 10 for "fun Vehicle" (My note "Bashing") Engines and increments of 5 for performance and racing engines."

Sadly, as mentioned earlier in the post the rest of the conversation was garbled and inaudible thanks to my machine chewing the tape up, the POFS !!

Now, could someone tell me if this is good info please ?

Last edited:
It makes sense. I do not experience that much of a climate change to bother with that kind of tuning. I have always stuck with my PJ1 airfilter oil. It has never let dirt in any of my engines.
Not to sure about using silicone shock oil though.

I remember that he told me why, strangely enough and it's only since I've been racking my brains as to the rest of the conversation we had about this subject. It was because if any of the oil managed to get dragged through the filter, into the engine, the silicone content would help protect the metal against corrosion and aid against "Friction binding". He also said he used shock oils because they were better for the "Air flow" tuning, would not retard combustion so much as Air Filter oil (due to the checmical make-up) and shock oil was (and still is now) a lot cheaper than air filter oil. :)

wow nice info and it really makes sense but you are a first person that records conversation with a friend,are ya sure you aint FBI :hehe::alarm:

so in sunny day when running on road I should use light shock oil? somewhere between 5wt - 10wt?

i dont have bad climate change here so i just stick with the filter oil i get from my lhs

Uhhh... Some of that is wrong. Warmer air is certainly not denser. Cold air would be denser.

No, not FBI, i'm british !! recorded it for content value !! I.E, useful info !! lol

Warm air can be denser, especially on a humid day.

Uhhh... Some of that is wrong. Warmer air is certainly not denser. Cold air would be denser.

PILL is absolutely correct. I caught that as well. Cold air is more dense than hot air. Humidity is simply an additional trait. Air Vs. Air, cold is more dense than hot.

Ok, humidity aside, i agree, but when hunidity is combined in the mix, air can be denser.

** EDIT **

Just re-listened to that bit of the tape, you guys were right (Lessen, Pill), so i have Edited it the main text to be correct. I guess that will teach me to listen to somethig when i'm totally knackered.

Last edited:
Correct Bartek, But to some, air FLOW is an issue, especially in aerodynamics. Thats a different ball game though, ENTIRELY different, i Know, i looked into having an aerobody made for an old rig of mine a while back.

Ok, humidity aside, i agree, but when hunidity is combined in the mix, air can be denser.

** EDIT **

Just re-listened to that bit of the tape, you guys were right (Lessen, Pill), so i have Edited it the main text to be correct. I guess that will teach me to listen to somethig when i'm totally knackered.

OK, I can respect that you realize it was originally typed incorrectly but... the addition of humidity does NOT create a more dense air. In fact, when tuning a nitro engine you would treat a high humidity conidition as if the air is LESS dense. You would actually lean out your carb rather than richen it as you wopuld if it were cold outside.

yeah I know,air makes huge difference in aerodynamics but air flow could always be adjusted by putting bigger air filter as well...I think...

hmmm........that goes against everything i was taught then... OH WELL,

Guess i learnt something new today. Cheers lessen.

Back