After my first weekend with my Slayer Pro... [Long]

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air filters are ok, they could use a small cleaning but they're definitely not over saturated. Adjusted each screw to factory settings and examined the carb for any dirt. It all seems clean. I'm going to strip the engine and check the o'rings next.

Try starting it in the air, if the tires spin it's probably your clutch spring. Or just pull the CB off and check the spring, easier than pulling the engine and carb apart to check o-rings.

Got it to idle, however it's idling extremely high and tires are spinning like crazy. I'll pull the CB to check the spring when I get home.

If the clutch is good check your CB bearings. If they're bad they can cause similar issues. I wouldn't bother replacing the clutch with a stock one, Dynamite offers a drop in replacement (I think it's a max-life or long life name). Or you can use this time to upgrade to a 3 shoe setup.

The clutch shoe looks ok,Maybe its just in your Lsn tune!

Earlier you said that your glowplug was alittle black.Your engine maybe too lean.
This maybe why it idling too high.
Put it back together ,leave the idle alone an richin it back up a tad,this should calm
the engine back down.

Well, I've put the needles to factory, and leaned the hsn just a hair. It seems to sometimes start running, but as soon as the ez start gets released the engine stops. I was thinking maybe it's too rich, causing too much fuel into the engine and the glow plug cannot stay hot enough due to the fuel cooling it. I dunno just a thought I had.

Well, I've put the needles to factory, and leaned the hsn just a hair. It seems to sometimes start running, but as soon as the ez start gets released the engine stops. I was thinking maybe it's too rich, causing too much fuel into the engine and the glow plug cannot stay hot enough due to the fuel cooling it. I dunno just a thought I had.

Ah ,ok,what kind of fuel are you running?

I'm currently running Traxxas Top Fuel 20%

UGH....I heard very bad things about that stuff!....
vomit_boy01_vomit_puke_sick_smiley_emoticon_0006.gif

It's been years since I've run it, but Traxxas fuel gave me fits. I switched to O'Donnell's abd it helped. Now I just run Byrons Gen 2 20%

My local shop carries traxxas and Byron's. So I could switch. However, what do you guys know about VP? They're a huge racing fuel company and ironically they're only 3 doors down from my work. We've got a great relationship with them, and I could probably get it dirt cheap.

I've not run it, but I want to. only reason I don't is because I can't get it locally.

I use to run byrons gen2 ,but my local shop closed down.I've ran many other brands other than traxxas.
I just recently started on a gallon of Torco fuel ,they are a company like VP they make racing fuels
for all engines.
I use the 30% ,My engines don't like 20% ,But I also run mine alittle on the fat side.

I heard that traxxas fuel leaves a nasty residue & doesn't burn right!
So I would change fuel & retune ,That could be why your engine is running poorly
an you can't get a good tune!

I noticed some liquid coming out of the engine where the exhaust pipe connects to it, it had the color of rusty water but it was definitely some kind of oil the way it stained the plastic on my ez start.

That's odd. Wonder if you fuel Drew some moisture somewhere along the way?

That's odd. Wonder if you fuel Drew some moisture somewhere along the way?
Good point Rooky!..:thumbs-up:
I know this kind of seems dangerous or weird ,but I do keep my fuel in my bedroom..Lol
Its a steady temp in the room an isn't exsposed to sun light or hot temps.

Not sure what's going on with it. The engine didn't have much wear to it when I had it apart. But I think I'll be switching fuels for sure.

Not sure what's going on with it. The engine didn't have much wear to it when I had it apart. But I think I'll be switching fuels for sure.

Thats why I don't give engine tune advice!
Theres a lot of factors in the eqasions other than carb adjustments.....
Theres air leaks,plugged tanks,bad fuel lines,tempature,altitudes,bad fuel....ect

You always have people that think that they know an engine ,when they completely egnore all those
other factors.
I've been involved in all the forums for over 10 years now an seen heated threads about engine advise.
but they all seem to egnore those simple factors!

Ok, I fiddled with the needles a bit, it seems to idle fine now on the ground. It's just idling too high, it still wants to roll once it warms up a bit. Also it dies once the throttle is applied for a few then let off. Also seemed to have lost my steering so I'll have to try to charge the receiver pack to see if that fixes my problem. If not I'll be looking into warranty for the servo.

Back