AE B4 Buggy Original gear diff upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneSocko921

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey There! does anyone know where i can find a replacement gear diff for my AE b4 original? I want to set the car up for carpet racing and the ball diff just wont cut it. Not sure what will fit in this buggy.

thank you!
Maybe i'll try it with the ball diff and replace if needed. appreciate the help

what issue you having with ball diff? no traction to much ?

nothing yet. i just want to throw more power at the car and i'm worried the old ball diff wont hold it

I am not sure I'd go with the Hot Racing aluminum gear diff case unless a person could find the original #9829 rebuild kit. The #91463 diff rebuild kit is ever so slightly different, and has been noted to cause undesirable results with the Hot Racing case. I'd stick with composite gear diff case if possible.

If you go on Team Associated's website:

Diff Gear Replacement.jpg

Hey There! does anyone know where i can find a replacement gear diff for my AE b4 original? I want to set the car up for carpet racing and the ball diff just wont cut it. Not sure what will fit in this buggy.
Something that caught my eye is the mentioning of "original", and "ball diff" on your RC10B4. The original B4/T4 tranny case (#9574) was designed for the ball diff only. The B4.1/T4.1/SC10, and the .2/.3 variants of those platforms came with the #9826 tranny case which allows a gear diff/ball diff to be used. When Team Associated started putting the gear diffs in the platforms, they change the tranny case to accommodate bigger bearings for improved durability.

You'll need a new tranny case for your B4 if you want to use a gear diff.

Last edited:
nothing yet. i just want to throw more power at the car and i'm worried the old ball diff wont hold it
You didn't say if spec/mod class. I just assumed mod class since you were worrying about power being dumped onto the ball diff.

I used to race mod buggy class when the B4 came out. I used a Castle Creations MambMax ESC 5700kV motor combo (I didn't know any better at the time) for a high traction indoor clay track. I was impressed with the throttle control for the combo being sensorless, but the power was literally a jaw dropping moment for me. I raced a whole season with a ball diff tranny, and my buggy survived. I should have went with the 4600kV motor for a more useful throttle range, but Castle insisted the the 5700kV was what I was looking for.

Anyways, a "4" series Associated ball diff is pretty darn tough in my book. For high traction carpet, yeah, I'd probably go with a gear diff setup (10k diff fluid for starting point?) if really really getting into it deep (racing), but a good, almost completely tightened, ball diff should get you up and running on your carpet munchin' :) adventures.

I will also note that the "4" series gear diff can be destroyed on short notice as well. I was testing a 550/3660 size motor, that I pulled out of my Axial Yeti, on my gear diff (brand spanking new) equipped T4 with Step Pin tires; 2S LiPo pack; running on blacktop... a couple of WOT finger squeezes, and full on braking did mess up the planet gears inside :(:oops:. Were the planet gears made with a bad batch of steel? Did I have my slipper locked down? I don't know, but I do know I was never going to do that again, or even think about using a 3S pack on high traction surface.

You didn't say if spec/mod class. I just assumed mod class since you were worrying about power being dumped onto the ball diff.

I used to race mod buggy class when the B4 came out. I used a Castle Creations MambMax ESC 5700kV motor combo (I didn't know any better at the time) for a high traction indoor clay track. I was impressed with the throttle control for the combo being sensorless, but the power was literally a jaw dropping moment for me. I raced a whole season with a ball diff tranny, and my buggy survived. I should have went with the 4600kV motor for a more useful throttle range, but Castle insisted the the 5700kV was what I was looking for.

Anyways, a "4" series Associated ball diff is pretty darn tough in my book. For high traction carpet, yeah, I'd probably go with a gear diff setup (10k diff fluid for starting point?) if really really getting into it deep (racing), but a good, almost completely tightened, ball diff should get you up and running on your carpet munchin' :) adventures.

I will also note that the "4" series gear diff can be destroyed on short notice as well. I was testing a 550/3660 size motor, that I pulled out of my Axial Yeti, on my gear diff (brand spanking new) equipped T4 with Step Pin tires; 2S LiPo pack; running on blacktop... a couple of WOT finger squeezes, and full on braking did mess up the planet gears inside :(:oops:. Were the planet gears made with a bad batch of steel? Did I have my slipper locked down? I don't know, but I do know I was never going to do that again, or even think about using a 3S pack on high traction surface.
thank you. very helpful. with the 4.1 gear case, do you need to mod the body mounts at all? or same mounting locations?

thank you. very helpful. with the 4.1 gear case, do you need to mod the body mounts at all? or same mounting locations?
Everything is basically the same except the tranny cases to allow gear diff, and the two different ball diffs. Just download the B4/B4.1/B4.2 manuals to compare what's different.

Last edited:
Back