Advice on a Nitro MT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worrelljr

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Has the HPI Savage X 4.6 been discontinued? I haven't had a nitro vehicle in years and want to get back into it. My first MT was a Savage MT kit with reverse, years ago. I'm looking to buy one but want to get a truck that will have parts readily available. Any advice will help on what o choose. Revo 3.3, TMAXX 3.3, Savage 4.6, or anyothers you may know that are good. Thank You,

kyosho did come out with a newer rig called the Nitro Tracker, might be worth looking into.
HPI went under for a bit and for awhile was transitioning a few times with new management due to a traxxas lawsuit, but they are starting to recover and have parts availability again. there was talk of them continuing the Nitro savage, but i can't seem to find the link, or have any definite answer to that. the savage has been around awhile though and there are parts still out there. spur gears seem to be the hot commodity, but i believe RRP is still making a steel version. (Amain is on backorder, but HH has in stock by the looks of things)
another direction to look would be the Losi LST series, like the LST2, XXL. parts are out there still, and mostly are carried by HH and Amain. flywheel seem to be the harder to come by pieces though.
another option though is solid axle is the Kyosho mad force kruiser, or the FO-XX.
definitely keep us updated on what you get!

I agree, I think Redcat has stepped up their game and I've been eyeballing the Rampage myself...

Thank You all. I've been looking at everything. The Redcat earthquake seems like a decent option. Here's my situatuion. I will not be racing anyone, just having fun. I'd like something that can run all terrains around the house. Since my funds are limited, I am thinking of the Redcat Earthquake for $279 on Amazon, but I'm not sure how readily available parts and upgrades are.

Parts have become more available for Redcat check RC Planet and you'll be able to find what parts and upgrades are available

I ordered the Earthquake 3.5. I want to upgrade this guy into a real beast. I found a .28, 4.5cc engine on Ebay for $92 that will uspposedly fit right in. My concern is an area that I know almost nothing about, gears. From what I read, I need to upgrade to a metal spur gear and maybe a new bell housing and possibly a better clutch with three shoes. With this being a 2-speed transmission, I'm not sure what all I need to get or the specific part numbers. I have read that he lower number of teeth means more punch and not so much top speed, and vice versa with increasing the number of teeth. I'd rather have this about equal I think. Can anyone assist and let me know hat I would need? Is the pinion gear the same as the clutch housing? Would I need multiple spur gears as it is a 2-speed? Is there a way to upgrade all gears? Supposedly the Earthquake comes with a Vertex VX .21 engine. I can't find any specs on this engine at all. I can't even find exact numbers of teeth on the gears that come on the truck. The manual I found online for the truck says "BS903-101 Pinion Gear 18T/19T/pin" and "BS801-014 Spur Gear 43T" , I'm not sure how it will perform. The manual says there is also a 40T/37T gear which I assume is for the 2-speeds. Sorry to rant, I just wish I knew a little more about these things. I'd love to make this truck have super take off speed, power to climb, and nice top end as well. Once I get it, I will post some pics. Here is the .28 4.5cc 3+HP engine I found on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-HP-28-Ni...915390?hash=item1ce66be6be:g:JL4AAOSwWxNY1F2- If anyone has any advice or suggestions, please feel free to write. I'm in Western Kentucky btw. Thank You all.

Attachments

• WGI_1720.JPG
    WGI_1720.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 67
I ordered the Earthquake 3.5. I want to upgrade this guy into a real beast. I found a .28, 4.5cc engine on Ebay for $92 that will uspposedly fit right in. My concern is an area that I know almost nothing about, gears. From what I read, I need to upgrade to a metal spur gear and maybe a new bell housing and possibly a better clutch with three shoes. With this being a 2-speed transmission, I'm not sure what all I need to get or the specific part numbers. I have read that he lower number of teeth means more punch and not so much top speed, and vice versa with increasing the number of teeth. I'd rather have this about equal I think. Can anyone assist and let me know hat I would need? Is the pinion gear the same as the clutch housing? Would I need multiple spur gears as it is a 2-speed? Is there a way to upgrade all gears? Supposedly the Earthquake comes with a Vertex VX .21 engine. I can't find any specs on this engine at all. I can't even find exact numbers of teeth on the gears that come on the truck. The manual I found online for the truck says "BS903-101 Pinion Gear 18T/19T/pin" and "BS801-014 Spur Gear 43T" , I'm not sure how it will perform. The manual says there is also a 40T/37T gear which I assume is for the 2-speeds. Sorry to rant, I just wish I knew a little more about these things. I'd love to make this truck have super take off speed, power to climb, and nice top end as well. Once I get it, I will post some pics. Here is the .28 4.5cc 3+HP engine I found on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-HP-28-Ni...915390?hash=item1ce66be6be:g:JL4AAOSwWxNY1F2- If anyone has any advice or suggestions, please feel free to write. I'm in Western Kentucky btw. Thank You all.
I recently bought a Redcat Earthquake 3.5 and installed a Dynamite .28 in it. You will need a new flywheel and clutch for it. You can use the old bell housing if you want. I also had to add a couple spacers on the back side of the slipper clutch in order to get my metal spur gear aligned. It was actually really simple to do. All in all I spent $150 and this thing is dangerous now! It flips itself over at 50% throttle. Blows my T Maxx away! The Dynamite runs excellent and holds a tune very well.

Back