Advice needed for ESC/Motor for low and slow technical crawling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasatch Krawls

RC Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum (introduced myself in the intro thread). Need advice. 2021 Bronco TRX4. Want to upgrade the electronics to best of breed motor/esc (needs to handle inputs/outputs for all servos on the chassis). Speed is not the purpose. Modulation and torque for low and slow krawling is. Cost is not a concern. I don't know if brushed or brushless matters to me. Being able to inch over technical courses is. Smooth starts and programmable drag brake. Hopefully this all makes sense?

I am extremely confused by all the marketing on the web and need real advice.

Thanks!

Honestly, the easiest and best low end control to bolt straight in is the Hobbywing Fusion, 1800KV system. I've run brushless sensored, brushless outrunner, brushed, and side by side the Fusion is simply the best for super low end, no debate.

Honestly, the easiest and best low end control to bolt straight in is the Hobbywing Fusion, 1800KV system. I've run brushless sensored, brushless outrunner, brushed, and side by side the Fusion is simply the best for super low end, no debate.
The Axe system by Hobbywing is supposed to be really good. It has FOC tech built in, so it keeps the vehicle moving at the same speed, regardless of what it's facing. Have you used that? Is the fusion kinda the same but with a built-in ESC? The fusion doesn't have as much power as the Axe from what I have read. But I haven't read up on yhe Fusion yet.

My main experience with crawlers though has be 1/16 and 1/24 scale. But I have been doing some reading about powerplants, because of the Ryft we're building, and I want to get a 1/10 scale crawler some day. It seems the Copperhead from CC is their best setup, Holmes has a good ESC and motor, and the Hobbywing Axe seems to be popular.

The Axe system by Hobbywing is supposed to be really good. It has FOC tech built in, so it keeps the vehicle moving at the same speed, regardless of what it's facing. Have you used that? Is the fusion kinda the same but with a built-in ESC? The fusion doesn't have as much power as the Axe from what I have read. But I haven't read up on yhe Fusion yet.

My main experience with crawlers though has be 1/16 and 1/24 scale. But I have been doing some reading about powerplants, because of the Ryft we're building, and I want to get a 1/10 scale crawler some day. It seems the Copperhead from CC is their best setup, Holmes has a good ESC and motor, and the Hobbywing Axe seems to be popular.

The Fusion has FOC as well, and imo is better than the Axe in how it is implemented. Being integrated motor/esc it isn't the most powerful, but it is still plenty for crawling. I wouldn't run it in a heavy trx6, but any 4x4 should be totally fine. Additionally, the lack of external ESC helps reduce weight, as well as the CG. It doesn't have the most powerful BEC, so it gets a little warm, but I am a huge fan of running an external BEC or direct power servos, as even when the battery is "dry," the amount of torque delivered is still well above what is needed for 99% of situations.

The Mamba X is significantly better than the Copperhead as far as features and capability goes, (read: better BEC, programming, data logging, on the fly setting changes, larger cell range) but for most casual crawlers the Copperhead is better value per dollar.

I really like the idea of holmes motors, and the outrunners are incredibly torque dense, but I need to get better at gearing/kv choice to minimize how sudden startup torque is. I know their $20 brushed motors are amazing for the cost, and the brushed ESCs they offer to go with them work really well, but I don't have enough experience with their sensorsd brushless inrunners yet to comment on them. I have one in the Twin Hammers I am building, but it hasn't been fielded yet.

The Fusion has FOC as well, and imo is better than the Axe in how it is implemented. Being integrated motor/esc it isn't the most powerful, but it is still plenty for crawling. I wouldn't run it in a heavy trx6, but any 4x4 should be totally fine. Additionally, the lack of external ESC helps reduce weight, as well as the CG. It doesn't have the most powerful BEC, so it gets a little warm, but I am a huge fan of running an external BEC or direct power servos, as even when the battery is "dry," the amount of torque delivered is still well above what is needed for 99% of situations.

The Mamba X is significantly better than the Copperhead as far as features and capability goes, (read: better BEC, programming, data logging, on the fly setting changes, larger cell range) but for most casual crawlers the Copperhead is better value per dollar.

I really like the idea of holmes motors, and the outrunners are incredibly torque dense, but I need to get better at gearing/kv choice to minimize how sudden startup torque is. I know their $20 brushed motors are amazing for the cost, and the brushed ESCs they offer to go with them work really well, but I don't have enough experience with their sensorsd brushless inrunners yet to comment on them. I have one in the Twin Hammers I am building, but it hasn't been fielded yet.
Oh yeah, the Mamba X. I forgot about that one. I am a few projects away from building a 1/10 crawler. By then, there will probably be all new stuff out lol.

I’m on team Holmes for this debate.

I have Homes Hobbies in all of my crawlers and one still in the package. Guess I should start another project one of these days.
Actually, this one is going in the TRX4 kit when I buy it.

New to the forum (introduced myself in the intro thread). Need advice. 2021 Bronco TRX4. Want to upgrade the electronics to best of breed motor/esc (needs to handle inputs/outputs for all servos on the chassis). Speed is not the purpose. Modulation and torque for low and slow krawling is. Cost is not a concern. I don't know if brushed or brushless matters to me. Being able to inch over technical courses is. Smooth starts and programmable drag brake. Hopefully this all makes sense?

I am extremely confused by all the marketing on the web and need real advice.

Thanks!
I like the Hobby Wing 1080, it comes with its own card to tune it and it tunes very well. Paired with the FS GT5 radio and receiver it can do excellent.

Back