4wd el. 1/10th buggy gearing and motor advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrogg

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a Tamiya 1/10th Dark Impakt that does not see enough use.
I need help with a few things.
First is it came with a stock 27t motor. Too slow!
I put in a 19T, still too slow.
i currently have a 15T mod double in it with a LRP esc. Don't like the LRP but it was cheap from a bud.
I have had a few local track guys tell me to use a smaller pinions on lower turn motors so they can turn all the rpm's they are capable of. Make sense, is this true? Mine is not overheating the ESC, but the motor runs about 165F or so. I think it should be able to launch much quicker from a dead stop than it does.
The car is a DF-03 chassis and runs 0.5 module pinions. Up until today I could not find them. Robmob helped on that. Thanks again.
I have also been told anything less than a 10T motor in a 4wd buggy is sacrilage. The guy was a hardcore electric racer.
Future plans are to convert to brushless without spending a fortune. I'm leaning torwards Castle Creations stuff due to their rep for durabilty and performance. Any input as to what system to choose would be appreciated.
Also a ballpark pinion gear to match.
Stock is 26 or 27tooth pinion, not sure.
I have seen 27/29 tooth packs and 22/23 tooth packs of pinions.
I'm thinking the 23 would be ideal?

I would go closer to about 21-22 tooth on the buggy. Usually you want to drop around 1 tooth for every 2 winds (as a rule of thumb).

As for brushless, the smallest pinion you can mount on there with a good mesh is the only way to go.

Thanks bud, that's what I needed to know to order the right pinions.

What brushless system would you guys recommend?
What I am after is something to get this buggy to launch hard and hit 35-40 mph.
As little maintenance as possible, I'm lazy with my electrics! lol
Easily programmable, no hooking to a computer for throttle profiles or crap like that.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTA2&P=7
This looks like the ticket to me, what do you guys think?

That's a good setup Scrogg. I have a Mamba Max with 5700 in my Kyosho Lazer and it's a blast to drive

I would second the castle creations setup. You don't need to have the castle link to program it. Only to fine-tune it.

Back