Addicted to Rocks!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I gathered up some large stones from my other house yesterday and brought them out here to the house that I've been living at. I've been spending most of my time here on our farm in the country, since this is where I have 50+ acres to bash on, the track, and my hobby room. I was going to buy some rocks (still am) for my crawler course, when I remember some that I had laying around. I gathered them up yesterday, and today when I visited a jobsite, I colloected a lot of large random chunks of concrete. I threw together a small course to take the axial out on it's maiden voyage as far as rocks are concerned. I knew it was a nice rig, but I had no idea that it would be this capable with just the few modifications that I've made so far. In fact, I was thinking that I made have made the course too hard the first time. I took the axial out on it for about 5 minutes, and realized that it wasn't even a challenge. So I moved some stuff around, and made some gaps and angles and things like that just to get used to balancing the truck on a line. I put a huge dusk to dawn light on a telephone pole, and put the crawler course (well, soon to be) under the light, so I'll be able to crawl at night. Now for the pics.
100_0581.jpg

100_0582.jpg

100_0583.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0587.jpg

100_0589.jpg

100_0590.jpg

I would assume so. Charlie, you should get a hold of some boulders. Like huge rocks and make a pile of thoe and see how it handles the massive rocks. I mean like 3 by 3 feet huge rocks.

I've already got a few ordered, but they're really expensive down here, so I think I'm going to start making some molds and pouring them. A guy told me how to make a mold to pour concrete into that will make the outer walls kinda slick real rocks, and I think I'll be able to have some sick huge vert climb sections and sidehill test sections, but that wont be for a few weeks.

Man that would be sweet. And maybe watered down super slick rocks to make it extra hard and slippery. Or watered down with canola oil...

Man that would be sweet. And maybe watered down super slick rocks to make it extra hard and slippery. Or watered down with canola oil...

The canola oil gives me a great idea. My girlfriend has some slick massage oil stuff, and she's got some huge obstacles. When she comes over, I'm gonna see if it will crawl over the obstacles when they're oiled down. I'll get some pics that are still ok to post on here, it should be fun.

Yeah... That IS a great idea. U wanna email me a pic... just so uh... for refrence to know what you are climbing... yeah lets go with that...

But in all seriousness do it then climb the obsticles and post pics.

Charlie do you want some old fire wood we can't use for the time being beacuse it's no problem if you do.I can just put them on our four buy three trailer and run thme down there for you.

That might be cool. charlies oily girlfriend, jakes old wood and two of charlies fake stones.

k

dude you think way to dirty!

Last edited:
The canola oil gives me a great idea. My girlfriend has some slick massage oil stuff, and she's got some huge obstacles. When she comes over, I'm gonna see if it will crawl over the obstacles when they're oiled down. I'll get some pics that are still ok to post on here, it should be fun.
Damn Bro, I'm starting to get some ideas....
Gonna post any pics of the girlfriend? Does she have a sister?

J/K Couldn't resist.

Just a thought. Maybe a small box with crumpled up newspaper around it? Paper Mache?
Chicken wire rolled into a ball with drywall mud threw on it?
Just trying to think of something light.
Still would have to be heavy enough so the tires wouldn't move them.

Killer truck Bro. Have fun with it.

I'ts still mostly stock at this point, but I've got several parts for it in the crawler drawer. Next week I'll have the beautiful body that NC sprayed for me, as well as some sick new beadlocks, and some other hop ups for it, and I'll post some pics of once I get it all upgraded.

Charlie wood you like that old fire wood that we can't use any more becaus it's no trouble to get it down there

seriously that would be sweet. logs and paper mache adn wire fence... That would make a seriously tricky course. I would think maybe some waterded down slick rocks and wood would make it even tougher.

No thanks, I don't need it. I'm going to post a link under here to the site rules. They helped me out a lot when I first came, so I think they'll help you to understand how to use the forum. Every post that is created takes up space on the server, makes the thread longer, etc, so we have to try not to post the same stuff more than once, and we can't use the forum for private conversation, that's what private messages are for. You've improved your grammar 500% Jake and I know that you're trying to do better and we all appreciate it a lot, so I thought the rules would help you out.

Once again, glad to have you on the forum, it's just that this place is like a home to many of us, so we all have to work to keep it up.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/rcnitrotalk-site-rules/

Oh and man, if anybody gives you a pointer or whatever, don't take it personally, we were all new at one time and we are all trying to help. I first took it personally until rolex and charlie told me a bit about it. Yet they aren't on my buddy list... well that will have to change...

what made you put the rear lower links on with the bend in the front?

i just waved to my old goat.....

You could carve some huge rocks out of blocks of styrofoam and then cover it with that hard coat stuff. It's just as hard as a rock but gives you the freedom to make it as big or difficult as you want.

Yeah I thought about that cupooter, because I'm going to be building some styro rocks for inside use. This crawler is A LOT of fun indoors when it's raining and stuff like that. I wonder where I could get styrofoam that big?

what made you put the rear lower links on with the bend in the front?

i just waved to my old goat.....

I decided to try them like that as an experiment just to see what would happen, because it opens up the center clearance further, alhtough it sacrifices a tiny bit of clearance back towards the axle. I'm going to be changing them up pretty soon, when I break it down to put all the new parts on.

The goat asked me to say hello, and he said he misses your house, but he doesn't miss getting yelled at to stay out of the flower bed, especially since he was just following your directions.

Last edited: