Aarma Infraction AVC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericehess

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking to get the 1/8 Aarma infraction. I don't like buying ready to run so I want to buy the Mega brushed version and upgrade it to brushless. I'd put a 100amp blx esc and 3500kv brushless Hobbywing motor (which I have on hand)along with the 50T spur and 20t pinion and center driveshaft support. The question I have is if the AVC system the 3S version comes with through the spectrum dx3 tx/Rx is very necessary? Was thinking of getting a dumbo rc remote and receiver with a gyro built in, will this be enough so I can get good straight tracking on speed runs or if I should stick with the spectrum dx3 the brushless version comes with. Does the dx3 stability control work with other non-smart motors and escs or does it only work with the spectrum firma power system?
Thanks for any info.

If it were me, I would go with the 3s version. You will save some money in the long run.
I have a Typhon Mega and I bought it just to mod and see what it could handle. I can run it on 4s now
but it took some bucks to get it that way.

Since I have the motor and ESC already I'd prob break even after all said and done, and I'd have a project, but ur probably right if I need the firma power system for the AVC traction control.

Modding, rebuilding, and complete builds I prefer so have fun with it.
Make sure you post some pics of your progress.

Will do, trying to sell off another vehicle first to clear some space and lessen the backlash from the wife 😉

I don't have experience with the Dumbo RC unit but I have the Flysky GT5 and the gyro RX in my TRX4.

Normally I don't run the AVC, I think FS calls it something different, but I have turned it on when playing in the snow and ice and it works at least as well as Spektrum AVC that came in my Vorteks. It probably works better since I never played with any of the tuning settings in it, just turned it on to try it.

I also like it better than the stock Spektrum unit because I can turn it on and off from the TX. On the Spektrum it's a process that has to be done on the truck.

Hey all. I'm looking to get the 1/8 Aarma infraction. I don't like buying ready to run so I want to buy the Mega brushed version and upgrade it to brushless. I'd put a 100amp blx esc and 3500kv brushless Hobbywing motor (which I have on hand)along with the 50T spur and 20t pinion and center driveshaft support. The question I have is if the AVC system the 3S version comes with through the spectrum dx3 tx/Rx is very necessary? Was thinking of getting a dumbo rc remote and receiver with a gyro built in, will this be enough so I can get good straight tracking on speed runs or if I should stick with the spectrum dx3 the brushless version comes with. Does the dx3 stability control work with other non-smart motors and escs or does it only work with the spectrum firma power system?
Thanks for any info.
You can use any radio system you want. You can always buy a stand alone gyro if your really want one but if your car is dialed in right, you shouldnt really need it. Id look at one of the Flysky or Radiolink radios because you can use a single radio on somewhere between 10 to 30 different rigs depending on which radio you choose. The dumbo can only be used on a single rig I believe.

You can use any radio system you want. You can always buy a stand alone gyro if your really want one but if your car is dialed in right, you shouldnt really need it. Id look at one of the Flysky or Radiolink radios because you can use a single radio on somewhere between 10 to 30 different rigs depending on which radio you choose. The dumbo can only be used on a single rig I believe.

GT5 has memory for 20 rigs and comes standard with gyro.

I don't use it often on my Vorteks but when the roads were a solid sheet of ice after the freezing rain setting it around 25% made it a bit more fun.

It did help a little when I was first learning the truck, I started with it around 80% then rolled it back as I ran packs through and became more comfortable with it until I turned it off completely.

You can't buy separate receivers for Dumbo's? I'll go with a flysky prob then, I've got a couple already, could just get a receiver and a gyro.

Infraction 1/8 mega is a really nice handling rc and in my opinion it doesn't need gyro. Be aware that stock tires do not last a long time even with brushed motor. With brushless power you will go through tires like it's nothing. Big 1/7 infraction is significantly better car in my opinion, but both of them are fun. I bought my infraction mega for only 160$ on scratch and dent sale from tower hobbies. I would not pay a full price or 300 something. From value perspective it makes more sense to buy brushless infraction or vendetta

+1 about those tires. I watch a youtuber who got the infraction mega and tires were gone on the second bash. Then he upgraded to brushless with a HW max10 and 4000kv combo. (60A, sensorless) and the tires were done on the first run of the brushless system.

For radios, I got a Radiolink RC4GS V3. Off of amazon. The one I got was the 2 receiver combo. I think it was 89.99 at the time and it is a good radio. Haven't used all the features yet but last weekend I figured out how to set cruise control. (not with the throttle trim) The radiolink has 30 model memory. It has a good feel to it. I might upgrade to the RC6GS V3 in the future if I need it for the extra channels and switches. Haven't used a gyro on the radio yet since I don't need it. I'm also using the radiolink for racing so a gyro is kinda cheating, idk.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRSAPw4EGcvjuKL9a5yyxLQdR_Nl5h3re

The whole infraction thing to me seems like a money pit of an RC, any way you go with it 😜

The whole infraction thing to me seems like a money pit of an RC, any way you go with it 😜
Any rc is a money pit. The whole hobby is. I spent 800 dollars on the buggy build so far and only ran it once and soon will be twice at the track tomorrow. I lost track of the slash and rustler build. I lost track on that a long time ago. :p

True, but an RC that wastes its tires after a run or two... no thank you. Tires aren't cheap, and I bet the Horizon money grubbers were happy as clams the first time they saw the Infraction waste a set of tires in a few minutes.
Untitled146_20230127090054.png

Yea the mega tires are bad. I wonder if they are the same tires that come on the 3s BLX version. Here I would go for the proline and hope they last.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 9.05.51 AM.png

I buy Felony tires 3 sets at a time. I almost never run it though cuz......tires? what tires? lol

I like Traxxas rally much more than 1/8 infraction. I have older brushless version and it's awesome. I converted to 17mm hex and I am using big 1/7 infraction tires but this season I will try grp. On suck a light rc tires will last almost forever. I have over 20 packs and very little wear. I also upgraded motor and esc from hoss and it's geared for 50mph on 3s but I will gear it up towards 60.

Although rally is probably the best handling Traxxas car I tried, I think infraction is slightly more stable for drifting. Btw I am not using gyro. The only issue with new Traxxas fiesta st rally is that is using stupid spur gear and slipper clutch like telluride or mini erevo, that has to be upgraded for brushless power

I just built one from a roller and body from eBay. I didn’t like the 3S body colors and don’t use the stock electronics. I got the red, white and blue mega body.
7D3B95FC-F16E-4067-8DB2-F364992646B1.jpeg
I’m running a HW Max 6 with a HW 2600kv motor with 28/36 MOD 1 gears I’m happy with the way it came out. You might spend more in the long run doing a roller but you can build it the way you want. That’s what’s awesome about this hobby!!!

AD81F714-0127-4BF6-AA60-EFB4E55C769A.jpeg

I just built one from a roller and body from eBay. I didn’t like the 3S body colors and don’t use the stock electronics. I got the red, white and blue mega body. View attachment 160839 I’m running a HW Max 6 with a HW 2600kv motor with 28/36 MOD 1 gears I’m happy with the way it came out. You might spend more in the long run doing a roller but you can build it the way you want. That’s what’s awesome about this hobby!!!

View attachment 160840
Sickening. What is top speed? Still running original tires?

Back