A notchy spot in my rear differential

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, on my fairly new(5 tanks) ofna ultra lx 2. There is a click on my rear differential housing. It is between the pinion and the bevel gear. Any idea how to solve this? Not really a big deal, but it bugs me..

Could have a chipped or missing tooth. Be careful as the more you drive it the more likely you will cause damage from the debris floatin around in there

Is that with the diff installed? Or do you have it out and are turning it by hand?

Yeah I would def take it apart and inspect all the teeth for damage and clean out any debris in the casing. If you dont see any damaged parts then maybe try calling OFNAs tech support guys. Theyre really knowledgeable about their products.

Is that with the diff installed? Or do you have it out and are turning it by hand?

i have had it out. no tooth is missing and they all look good. the click occurd between pinion and the big bevel gear. if u just spin the differential, no click, but if u spin the pinion or both side of the output cap. thats when u hear a click. its very light click, but enought to feel it with hands holding the caps.

---------- Post added at 5:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:49 PM ----------

Could have a chipped or missing tooth. Be careful as the more you drive it the more likely you will cause damage from the debris floatin around in there

no tooth is missing, visually inspected carefully. and i clean it out everytime i take it to the race track.

i have had it out. no tooth is missing and they all look good. the click occurd between pinion and the big bevel gear. if u just spin the differential, no click, but if u spin the pinion or both side of the output cap. thats when u hear a click. its very light click, but enought to feel it with hands holding the caps.

That's why I asked. Most diffs have a tight spot you can feel when it's out of the vehicle. My maxx did that, but once the shafts were hooked up it felt smooth as can be.

That's why I asked. Most diffs have a tight spot you can feel when it's out of the vehicle. My maxx did that, but once the shafts were hooked up it felt smooth as can be.

Well it doesn't make it harder to turn, and even with the shaft on, I can still feel it, just a TINY TINY bit. With the wheels on, I can not feel it at all. So just curious if it will go away as I break in more or is it normal to have a tight spot like that.

Thanks