4-TEC build with Pagani Zonda f body

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I recently got the on-road 1/10 bug when I got my Rlaarlo AK917 last month. Beautiful car, good design but parts are unobtainable so far with reasonable shipping time.
Decided to put the AK917 on hold until the spare parts issue gets sorted. (I'm a horrible driver :dummy1: ).
In the meantime, I picked up a lightly used $-TEC VXL chassis with bluetooth module (missing battery and body) to putz around with and learn about these type of RC cars. With the Traxxas, at least I can get parts easy, so when I invariably crash it at least I can get back running quickly.
I've always loved the looks of the Pagani Zonda f and when I found a pre-painted one on ebay that was 200mm wide and with a 260mm wheelbase for $35 shipped I had to get it.
Nicely done body with good proportions, print and paint.
Body installed with no problems, everything lined up nicely. I did add a wing, carbon fiber vinyl on the roof and mirrored the windows. I also cut out the engine bay window and added a mesh screen to let any air get out. I also cut a custom foam bumper.
Using 1/8" PVC sheet I made side skirts and a rear pan. I used rubber molding and velcro on the side skirts to stop the body sides from flapping. I used 1/16" PVC sheet for the front splitter. Covered the whole bottom in carbon fiber vinyl.

PXL_20230603_152612685.jpg

PXL_20230603_152531589.jpg

Here's pics with the factory wheels and brake parts...

PXL_20230603_131927916.jpg

PXL_20230603_132506143.jpg

PXL_20230603_132515838.jpg

The chassis has also been slightly modded to install some big foams. I used BSR Racing drag foams, 68mm diameter 30mm track width in the front and 68mm diameter 45mm track width in the rear. Fronts fit fine, the rears needed a small bit of dremeling on the rear of the middle chassis pan. Because of the inside wheel ribs hitting I had to remove the discs and calipers. 7mm hexes replaced them.
I love the look of the Traxxas Wheel/brake combo but the big foams really make the car much more planted and also really stick. Inexpensive also.
Future mods include some type of livery and possibly stiffing up the suspension.
PXL_20230603_152412246.jpg

PXL_20230603_152429826.jpg

I recently got the on-road 1/10 bug when I got my Rlaarlo AK917 last month. Beautiful car, good design but parts are unobtainable so far with reasonable shipping time.
Decided to put the AK917 on hold until the spare parts issue gets sorted. (I'm a horrible driver :dummy1: ).
In the meantime, I picked up a lightly used $-TEC VXL chassis with bluetooth module (missing battery and body) to putz around with and learn about these type of RC cars. With the Traxxas, at least I can get parts easy, so when I invariably crash it at least I can get back running quickly.
I've always loved the looks of the Pagani Zonda f and when I found a pre-painted one on ebay that was 200mm wide and with a 260mm wheelbase for $35 shipped I had to get it.
Body installed with no problems, everything lined up nicely. I did add a wing, carbon fiber vinyl on the roof and mirrored the windows. I also cut out the engine bay window and added a mesh screen to let any air get out. I also cut a custom foam bumper.
Using 1/8" PVC sheet I made side skirts and a rear pan. I used rubber molding and velcro on the side skirts to stop the body sides from flapping. I used 1/16" PVC sheet for the front splitter. Covered the whole bottom in carbon fiber vinyl.

View attachment 166802
View attachment 166803

View attachment 166805
View attachment 166806
View attachment 166807

The chassis has also been slightly modded to install some big foams. I used BSR Racing drag foams, 68mm diameter 30mm track width in the front and 68mm diameter 45mm track width in the rear. Fronts fit fine, the rears needed a small bit of dremeling on the rear of the middle chassis pan. Because of the inside wheel ribs hitting I had to remove the discs and calipers. 7mm hexes replaced them.
I love the look of the Traxxas Wheel/brake combo but the big foams really make the car much more planted and also really stick. Inexpensive also.
Future mods include some type of livery and possibly stiffing up the suspension.
View attachment 166808
View attachment 166809
That’s looks awesome!

View attachment 166802
View attachment 166803

View attachment 166805
View attachment 166806
View attachment 166807

View attachment 166808
View attachment 166809
Wow! One of my favorite cars as an RC. Nicely done man. I'm coming over to steal it. Leave a window unlocked for me 😉

One of my favorite cars as an RC
Same here. I even ordered another body 'cuz I know I'll trash this one...:eek:
Added some "batwings" on the spoiler today made from 1/16" pvc with carbon fiber vinyl added.
Both the 1/8" and 1/16" pvc sheets have been priceless... can use the stuff for about anything!
PXL_20230604_161606996.jpg

PXL_20230604_161722703.jpg

PXL_20230604_161748496.jpg

New motor, ESC and TX/RX installed!
PXL_20230710_230316763.jpg

ESC is the new Hobbywing 10BL120 G2 sensorless waterproof
Motor is Surpass Hobby 3660 4300KV
RX/TX is DumboRC X6 with gyro
PXL_20230710_231444778-EDIT.jpg

Previously had the stock TQi system, that'll be recycled into another future project.
The new Hobbywing ESC is nice- XT60 connector, 3.5mm motor sockets, selectable BEC voltage, separate programming port and a cool illuminated power switch.
Never used Surpass motors before, at $32 it's worth a try. 3660 can 4300KV with a 1/8" shaft.
Love the DumboRC- simple and cheap with great range.
Haven't tested yet, typical FLA monsoon season is here and hopefully we'll have some dry days soon.
I got the spare Zonda body also finally... now if (when) I wreck I'll have a spare.
PXL_20230710_233120591.jpg

Cool 4-Tec 2.0 VXL, I used to have a Ford GT Grabber Blue RTR before they were discontinued by Traxxas it kind of sucks. I plan to get another 2.0 this time a VXL model like yours and put my own custom body on it or get a used roller of ebay of a 2.0 or 3.0 and put my own electronics in it.

Here's mine before i sold it.
20220210_133217.jpg

View attachment 166802
View attachment 166803

View attachment 166805
View attachment 166806
View attachment 166807

View attachment 166808
View attachment 166809
You should submit this for ride of the month, for reeaal

sick lookin rig!
Cool 4-Tec 2.0 VXL, I used to have a Ford GT Grabber Blue RTR before they were discontinued by Traxxas it kind of sucks. I plan to get another 2.0 this time a VXL model like yours and put my own custom body on it or get a used roller of ebay of a 2.0 or 3.0 and put my own electronics in it.

Here's mine before i sold it.
View attachment 171420
pass on the 4-tec and get a rlaalro AK787. 199$ for the best 1/10 on road you can buy. plus, active aero.

New motor, ESC and TX/RX installed!
View attachment 168554
ESC is the new Hobbywing 10BL120 G2 sensorless waterproof
Motor is Surpass Hobby 3660 4300KV
RX/TX is DumboRC X6 with gyro
View attachment 168555
Previously had the stock TQi system, that'll be recycled into another future project.
The new Hobbywing ESC is nice- XT60 connector, 3.5mm motor sockets, selectable BEC voltage, separate programming port and a cool illuminated power switch.
Never used Surpass motors before, at $32 it's worth a try. 3660 can 4300KV with a 1/8" shaft.
Love the DumboRC- simple and cheap with great range.
Haven't tested yet, typical FLA monsoon season is here and hopefully we'll have some dry days soon.
I got the spare Zonda body also finally... now if (when) I wreck I'll have a spare.
View attachment 168556
That machine is killer. Good for you. Love the top. :cool:

pass on the 4-tec and get a rlaalro AK787. 199$ for the best 1/10 on road you can buy. plus, active aero.
I'm liking my AK-917, but not convinced they are the best overall deal.
Rlaarlo has a somewhat "colorful" reputation... They're trying hard with some really nice stuff but to run with the big boys they need easy domestic (USA) and LHS support. The blue AK-787 is really tempting, tho. If it goes on a good sale I may bite 🦷
Living in St. Pete FLA it's difficult to find a good spot to really put the beans to either the Zonda or the AK. High population density limits places to do good runs. Luckily I have a buddy who has an airplane, and the next time he goes to his hangar we're going to bring them and really rip.
Love the top.
That fake carbon fiber wrap is awesome stuff. Thick, with good adhesive and workable easily with a heat gun. Really reinforces bodies and can be replaced when torn/scuffed up.

sick lookin rig!

On one hand, in completely agreement (especially knowing how much more stable the AK-787 is compared to the AK-917)...but, on the other hand, because of parts availability, aftermarket support, and having everything shipped from China, I can also understand those wanting to go with a 4Tec.

To be completely honest, I'm a big supporter of Rlaarlo...prices are low, quality is super-high (while the aluminum parts are only 6061, the carbon-reinforced plastic is some of the best plastic I've seen from ANY manufacturer), and the active aero rear wing is something no other manufacturer has done. As for the shipping & customer service problems, they are working hard to 'fix' them. When the AK-917 was announced, they SERIOUSLY underestimated interest, and that's what led to the massive amount problem, which, in turn, also led to the customer service problem. Thankfully, both areas have been greatly improved (tho, I'll admit, shipping has improved more than customer service).

Personally, I'm in the process on building up two Rlaarlo speedrun cars...but, I am also working on a 4Tec speedrun car, with the eventually goal of building a second (dual motor) 4Tec.

sick lookin rig!

I thought of doing that but i already have an AK-917 carbon roller i built up you should go check out the build thread i did awhile back currently i'm focused on my XO-1 and Outcast 8s EXB. I ran my XO-1 today and started building my O8S EXB.

Back