!33t $p34k and You

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I just have to vent a little here. It seems that we have an entire section of society now that thinks they are somehow cool, or elite because they have dug up an ancient hacker language and started using it. I'm new to this forum, but I'm seeing it on many other forums that I'm a long standing member of as well and it drives me nucking futs. From here on, I will not answer any thread that asks for help if you can't speak proper fvcking english and make your problem clear and easy to understand for those of us kind enough to reply. And this is directed at no one in particular, I just watched idiocracy again and it scares me how close it sometimes paralells everyday society, that's all. Maybe I'm just getting old, but damn how hard is it to talk in plain english when the keyboard you are using was designed around it?

Also this is what Urban Dictionary has to say on the subject.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=l33tsp33k

in simple terms, a "language" for morons. generally members of an online gaming community will type like this, leading them to believe that they are funny and/or cool. the causes of them wanting to look like morons are unknown. see also: teh and pwned

online gamer: d00d!!!1 joo jus got mega pwnz0rd!! LOL @ joo n00b!

normal person: you sound like a dipshit. learn to speak english, isn't that something we were all taught in first grade?

online gamer: i sp33k l33tsp33k, itz my l4n9u49e!

normal person: dude get out of the house and get a life

I just watched that movie today! Great movie, but with the way the language is going its very possible.

$0 !f ! 7yp3 1!|<3 7h!$ y0u guy$ m!gh7 g37 m4d?!?!?!!!11

Haha yea, I'm an administrator on a site FULL of geeks, so I can read that stuff like nobody's business. Originally, as mentioned, it was a language or code implemented by serious computer hackers as a way to communicate under the radar.

What it has turned into, however, is a way for latch-key kids who are too smart to be socially smooth, but too dumb to realize they look like idiots to the rest of the world, to expand their dwindling self-esteem through the anonymity of the Internet, in the safety of their own, parentless homes.

I'm NOT attacking everyone who uses it, mind you. Sometimes, it's just good fun, and of course I am stereotyping beyond belief, but I have run into enough of these kids to understand that 8 of 10 times, this is in fact the case.

:) Leet on, if you must.

I think it works well for passwords.

The way it's used today, I would agree. But keep in mind, it was originally a way for hackers and professional nerds to communicate secretively, which makes it pretty smart. But, that was a LONG time ago.
Absolutely brilliant, a long time ago for pretty much their secret society but now it's not intelligent code being used, it's just shortcuts for being lazy and in a hurry. Extremely annoying.

I remember people in online games back in the early 2000s being all like ooo look at me I'm a ub3r 1337 h4x0r...... Hell I still see people using it in their online handles......

Back