3 questions on cold air intake

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarkill

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Does cold air intake make a noticeable amount of more power? Do I need to retune if I use one. Is there a mod that I can use my stock hpi air filter?

If you make a cold air intake you will have to retune which isn't hard because you have to retune everyday you run anyways.. Just buy some rubber tubing and run it from the carb and put the air filter somewhere up front. It really isn't nessasary to have a cold air intake. Just get something like a motor saver air filter

IMHO, I don't think it will help that much from a fuel combustion aspect. Most of our engines have the filter out and away from the heat of the engine anyway.

That said, I've been thinking of trying something on my savage, but really just to get the big fat filter out of the direct air flow line for the cooling head. Move it forward under the hood of the body so the air through the windshield hits the head instead of the filter. I've noticed the LRP in my aftershock runs much cooler and much more consistent than the one in my savage. The filter is off to the side and not blocking direct air flow.

IMHO, I don't think it will help that much from a fuel combustion aspect. Most of our engines have the filter out and away from the heat of the engine anyway.

That said, I've been thinking of trying something on my savage, but really just to get the big fat filter out of the direct air flow line for the cooling head. Move it forward under the hood of the body so the air through the windshield hits the head instead of the filter. I've noticed the LRP in my aftershock runs much cooler and much more consistent than the one in my savage. The filter is off to the side and not blocking direct air flow.

Thats what I was thinking, HPI did a real good job on messin' that one up!:D

yea thats a smart idea.. i know that my losi muggy was the same way.. i added a supercharger and moved up to an external cold air intake mounted outside the body of the truck.,, :D

Does cold air intakes make a noticeable amount of more power? Do I need to retune if I use one. Is there a mod that I can use my stock hpi air filter?

Yes especially when the air compresses faster and has a higher combustion rate so the engine gets more power. In other cases, cold air intake usually increases gas mileage, and can add additional 25 horsepower to engines.