.21 Engine recommendations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gb3geez

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Paris Picco P21 KS B Mod hardly used but has internal damage. I'm finding it hard to locate parts so I'm looking to purchase a decent .21 engine. trying to get back into the hobby after 15 years. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

Could you tell us a little more about kind of application/vehicle do you plan on using the engine for?

If you current engine has a pilot crank shaft then you will be able to find a new motor. If it use the older threaded crank shaft good luck. I heard picco engines were the best but now you can't find parts. I stuck with OS.

to better give recommendations, will help to see pictures without the flywheel on it, typically big blocks used SG style crankshafts, but some older ones especially ones for kyosho used a threaded crankshaft with a pilot shaft. another thing that would help to determine is the mounts, i know on a few of the older kyosho they had engine mounts cast into their blocks.
if it uses a SG crank and does not use cast in mounts, mostly any .21 and up engine will fit. though for a buggy and one of that age and parts being scarce, i wouldn't go higher than say a .26.

I haven't tried that myself, if you need an engine with threaded crank, will cutting part of the SG crank works? I still like OS engine as well.

I haven't tried that myself, if you need an engine with threaded crank, will cutting part of the SG crank works? I still like OS engine as well.
No! The clutch and flywheel mounting is different. A pilot Sg crank is shorter.

no will not work, the threads are different between them, pilot shaft threads are typically smaller and more threads per inch, clutch nut for an SG has bigger threads and more coarse.
i do think that one of teh versions of the SH21 has a threaded crank though if that is the case. for not worrying about stuff you might not even have to, get some pictures if at all possible, this all could be a moot point if it is SG existing.

No! The clutch and flywheel mounting is different. A pilot Sg crank is shorter.
But then we have different length of the threaded pilot shafts as well. But I think it will better to get a new engine, flywheel, clutches, clutch bell that matches and adjustable engine mounts. Maybe a New Old Stock engine.

no will not work, the threads are different between them, pilot shaft threads are typically smaller and more threads per inch, clutch nut for an SG has bigger threads and more coarse.
i do think that one of teh versions of the SH21 has a threaded crank though if that is the case. for not worrying about stuff you might not even have to, get some pictures if at all possible, this all could be a moot point if it is SG existing.
Yes, if the thread size are different, that won't work.

But then we have different length of the threaded pilot shafts as well. But I think it will better to get a new engine, flywheel, clutches, clutch bell that matches and adjustable engine mounts. Maybe a New Old Stock engine.
I tried that too. With adjustable motor mounts it just doesn't work. The standard crank shaft will work with any pilot clutch nuts no problem. the SG cranks only work in some older kits. It's the way all the parts are stacked on the shaft. You have a older kit which I suspect uses the old standard threaded crank shaft with the pilot clutch nut. The change was on the Kyosho inferno series. kits Before that the new style engines with the Sg crankshaft don't work. I suggest looking for a good used engine or new one with a full threaded crank shaft. I have lots of kyosho burns and the sg crankshafts don't work.
Force Engine Nitro 3.5cc .21ci Brand New | eBay threaded crank shaft.
O.S. Max RG (P) .21 Long Shaft Nitro Engine. | eBay SG crank. or find the threaded crankshaft separate
New engines are just tooo expensive now..
Just make sure which style crankshaft you need.

Last edited:
Back