1st nitro.. Losi 8ight vs tmaxx vs rustler Nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitron00b

RC Newbie
Reaction score
New forum member looking for solid advice. Owned electrics my whole life, want to try my hand at nitro finally. I am having a tough time choosing between the tmaxx, the Losi 8ight and the nitro rustler. This will primarily be a basher for me.

I know the Losi is the newest tech but that also has me wary of putting down that much $$ for something that Losi will discontinue or stop selling parts for in the near future.
I am leaning towards the tmaxx over the rustler because in videos it looked like the rustler flips more often than the tmaxx. At times the tmaxx looks a bit slow in videos.
I race the club scene a couple months of year but I don’t think this vehicle will have a race focus...more just bashing on our 2 acres and turning heads at the park lol.

i just want something fun and different to play with. If I turned it out for a few races a year that’d be cool but def not my priority as I already have my race vehicles.

mainly I want something user friendly and fun.

T maxx . Good parts and fun to drive

IT doesn't mean a thing to me I have 2.5 engines and 3.3 engine. I wouldn't buy new. I have all used trucks.

i would go Losi 8ight, after my experience with the T-maxx, i would not wish it on anyone.
the Losi 8ight RTR has been available for quite some time, and still very popular, i would be really surprised if they discontinued it.
the Dynamite engines are well built, with good power, the platform itself is quite durable.

New forum member looking for solid advice. Owned electrics my whole life, want to try my hand at nitro finally. I am having a tough time choosing between the tmaxx, the Losi 8ight and the nitro rustler. This will primarily be a basher for me.

I know the Losi is the newest tech but that also has me wary of putting down that much $$ for something that Losi will discontinue or stop selling parts for in the near future.
I am leaning towards the tmaxx over the rustler because in videos it looked like the rustler flips more often than the tmaxx. At times the tmaxx looks a bit slow in videos.
I race the club scene a couple months of year but I don’t think this vehicle will have a race focus...more just bashing on our 2 acres and turning heads at the park lol.

i just want something fun and different to play with. If I turned it out for a few races a year that’d be cool but def not my priority as I already have my race vehicles.

mainly I want something user friendly and fun.
You'll hear a lot of different good responses, like you have seen above.

The key for any nitro vehicle is the willingness to learn and accept challenges that will be presented to you.

I’d go with the losi 8ight t. I have one and it’s been awesome to me. Parts support hasn’t been an issue, and even if they cancelled the truck tonight, the should still have parts support for years to come. Only weak point is the diffs and maybe turnbuckles and that only pops up if you beat the crap out of your vehicle. Still have a soft spot for the t Maxx, I had a 2.5 version years ago and loved that thing. Never had an issue with mine besides a broken part or two I’m sure, but I used to jump mine and race around my buddies yard and really can’t recall an issue. T maxxes are known for a few weak points( trans, bulkheads, etc) but mine was good to me. The rustler I would just go ahead and skip out on. If you already have race quality vehicles and experience, I can’t really see someone stepping back to a nitro rustler. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but losi 8ight t all the way for me, with a shout out to the tmaxx for nostalgia purposes.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I ended up almost buying a Revo 3.3 but It just felt so expensive after shipping and taxes. This forum eased my mind about Losi cancelling the 8ight T so I bought the Losi for around $150 less. There’s a mylaps transponder I need right there.
I read here that there was a difference between Team Losi Racing (TLR) and Losi. That the Losi vehicles aren’t constantly being replaced like the TLR vehicles.
I may still pick up that revo 3.3 down the road if I fall in love with nitro. That thing looks incredible.

Losi and TLR are the same, more or less, TLR is the racing side of things where Losi is the RTR/basher side of things. the Losi 8ight T is more or less an older race platform (edit: think the TLR 8ight T 3.0/4.0**) with added components to be a RTR.
done so in a way that there is an inexpensive option to have an RTR buggy or truggy, that wont be constantly updating and has more of a parts support for bashers, then the TLR side which is constantly evolving and updating for racing, that way they can reach more people with their market.
Corrected**

Last edited:
The t-maxx has some weak points if you like jumping, it really needs a good update done to it to improve the durability. I wouldn't consider the 2.5R in either the maxx or revo, was just never enough power for me. The 3.3 wasn't enough in the revo either, but might be enough for the t-maxx. The t-maxx bulkheads/hinge pin-arm support/chassis rails were weak spots I fought with for the years I had a t-maxx.

The losi is likely a good choice for what you want. Also gives you the option of racing it.

Just want to clarify, the losi 8ight t RTR is based off the older team losi 3.0/4.0 platform and NOT the 2.0. I know this for certain, and a ton of the truggy 3.0 and 4.0 kit upgrade parts bolt right up, as I have done plenty of upgrades to mine! Good choice

The t-maxx has some weak points if you like jumping, it really needs a good update done to it to improve the durability. I wouldn't consider the 2.5R in either the maxx or revo, was just never enough power for me. The 3.3 wasn't enough in the revo either, but might be enough for the t-maxx. The t-maxx bulkheads/hinge pin-arm support/chassis rails were weak spots I fought with for the years I had a t-maxx.

The losi is likely a good choice for what you want. Also gives you the option of racing it.
I have had no issues with my t maxx's. There just fine for jumping when you set up the suspension right and either engine is good enough power. All I did was drop down 2 teeth and the I have more power. The bulk heads were fixed with the cross brace and improved the hinge pins.

I have had no issues with my t maxx's. There just fine for jumping when you set up the suspension right and either engine is good enough power. All I did was drop down 2 teeth and the I have more power. The bulk heads were fixed with the cross brace and improved the hinge pins.

I shouldn't have posted, was too long since I had one. 2005 was the last time I had one. The 3.3, cross brace, cam type servo saver, center skid, etc didn't exist. Had to go aftermarket for any/all of that, which I did. Aluminum bulks/braces, proline servo saver, RCS hinge pins, RCS spring steel skid/bumpers for the front/rear, lunsford turnbuckles, alloy chassis rails center skid, RPM arms, RPM towers, big block conversion, cvd's, steel trans gears... in the end, I got tired of replacing diffs constantly. Did they ever improve the diffs?

Doesn't really matter since he ended up with a Losi.

I shouldn't have posted, was too long since I had one. 2005 was the last time I had one. The 3.3, cross brace, cam type servo saver, center skid, etc didn't exist. Had to go aftermarket for any/all of that, which I did. Aluminum bulks/braces, proline servo saver, RCS hinge pins, RCS spring steel skid/bumpers for the front/rear, lunsford turnbuckles, alloy chassis rails center skid, RPM arms, RPM towers, big block conversion, cvd's, steel trans gears... in the end, I got tired of replacing diffs constantly. Did they ever improve the diffs?

Doesn't really matter since he ended up with a Losi.

Boy .those were the days!... :thumbs-up: ...:cool:

The Losi is probably the best one (and expensive). The Tmaxx is the one to have. I've had a bunch of everything and the Traxxas are the best I've had for beating up. (I presently have a 3.3 Revo for my main truck). They are kind of disposable and parts are as cheep as dirt to buy or replace. You can rebuild an engine for $60 or so and replace one from the company for a good price. You need to get a metal skid plate for the front of the Tmaxx to keep from busting it up. RPM arms if you break the originals and need to replace them.

The Losi is probably the best one (and expensive). The Tmaxx is the one to have. I've had a bunch of everything and the Traxxas are the best I've had for beating up. (I presently have a 3.3 Revo for my main truck). They are kind of disposable and parts are as cheep as dirt to buy or replace. You can rebuild an engine for $60 or so and replace one from the company for a good price. You need to get a metal skid plate for the front of the Tmaxx to keep from busting it up. RPM arms if you break the originals and need to replace them.
A new short block 2.5 engine $65 and the exchange program is a rip of joke. I have found adding metal skid plates or any other metal parts really adds weight and isn't worth it. I only add the metal spur gear and they just don't hold up that well launching.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I ended up almost buying a Revo 3.3 but It just felt so expensive after shipping and taxes. This forum eased my mind about Losi cancelling the 8ight T so I bought the Losi for around $150 less. There’s a mylaps transponder I need right there.
I read here that there was a difference between Team Losi Racing (TLR) and Losi. That the Losi vehicles aren’t constantly being replaced like the TLR vehicles.
I may still pick up that revo 3.3 down the road if I fall in love with nitro. That thing looks incredible.

Enjoy the 8ight! Did it come with a transponder so you can bring it to the track?

A new short block 2.5 engine $65 and the exchange program is a rip of joke. I have found adding metal skid plates or any other metal parts really adds weight and isn't worth it. I only add the metal spur gear and they just don't hold up that well launching.
It's because the RC was never designed to withstand what you do to it. And the metal plate is aluminum so how much does it really weigh? And you can do a piston, rod, and cylinder for just what I said.

It's because the RC was never designed to withstand what you do to it. And the metal plate is aluminum so how much does it really weigh? And you can do a piston, rod, and cylinder for just what I said.
You can do a whole short block less carb and starter for that.

Back