17mm hex adapter and 17mm wheel nuts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I didn't know where to put this but it involves a savage flux so I figured it would be best here.
I plan on doing a 17mm hex adapter mod for the savage flux using the Associated 17mm hex adapters for a rc8t, they don't come with the wheel nuts so my question is. Will any 17mm wheel nut fit any 17mm hex adapter?

The outsides will be the same, so you can use the same wheel wrench, as for the insides they could very will be different.....I hope you luck out! Doesn't HPI make 17mm hexes?

Some 17mm nuts are fine thread and some are coarse so the answer to your question is no.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I was thinking, going to have to find if associated is a fine or coarse shouldn't be hard.
Nope not for the savage flux they don't, they do for the savage x though.

Oh 2 more questions. I striped a diff screw and I realize that ain't coming out, will drilling it work?My second question is a have about 1mm of play in the diffs, think it's worth shimming?
2 of diff screws were loc-tited on and 2 weren't, kind of ticked me off.

Last edited:
Oh the adapters fit it's a well known mod I saw on savage central.
To answer my own question yes you can drill out the diff screws, but I hit the threads and ruined them so now I need a new diff case. Oh well better then needing a new diff case and the $45 BP diffs I suppose.
I think I'm shelving the flux for the winter, and picking up upgrades for at as the winter goes on. I definitely want to replace the screws with hexes, I want to extend and widen it, and that's all I can think of now.

^^ I know your pain, my new found want for electrics has forced me to throw the FLM savage on the back burner for the next few months...even though blue anodized parts come in every once in a while

My love of running this truck got the better of me, I just ordered the parts. But crap I hate not having a good lhs that stocks hpi. I got 2 decent shops 2 hours round trip away from me, but one is so disorganized it could take him an hour to find the parts there's unpacked boxes all over the floor it's just a mess. The other has a small stock but probably not what I'm looking for, and the lhs has nothing but traxxas, a lot of planes and helicopters, with some hpi hardware in the mix. So $20 to ship as about what I'd pay in gas and I avoid the headache of waiting and being let down.

Have you tried just using the 17mm savage/hellfire hubs when I look at mine the pin is retained by the rim, most times I don't even tighten the set screw in the centre. The axles have the same diameter shaft they might hold on a FLUX.

The flux has a 17mm hex already, it's just a crappy set up. My main issue is getting rid of the horrible stock wheel nut that flies off at a higher speed, it's happened 4 times now even with loc-tite. I've found wheel nuts for the hub I want to use, it's a fine thread so that's no longer my problem. My problem now is diff case, which I created my self by stripping out the screws.
So now I'm waiting on a diff case. Got to love small town Canada, where you need to drive 2 hours round trip to get anything that's not sold in Walmart, a grocery store, or Canadian Tire.

Here's my hex set up.

9591412641_d09b665502_o_zps910d20e9.jpg

That looks like a decent set up, what hex adapter is that?
On another note I got all I needed for my mod today did a quick mock up after the mail man came by, made myself late for school but everything fits. Now I need to find some time hopefully this weekend to do it, and rebuild the front diff, shim the rear and put in some new oil. As well change the shock oil and springs in all the shocks and install HD drive gear.

lol nah no Integy here, their HPI ones from the suspension conversion set.

The hexes are from Hobao.

From what I've heard the Integy carriers are one of their rare parts that are not that bad. But yeah I'll be buying the HPI suspension conversion kit and installing it this winter as well.

Back