1/8th compared to 1/10th

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi to everyone, I am still pretty new to this stuff and I've got a 1/10 scale monster truck and a 1/10 scale buggy, but I want to get a truggy. I have a newbie question for anyone to answer.......
How much bigger is a 1/8th to a 1/10th scale?
I don't do any racing just bashing but I would like to see the difference in size.
Sorry but no local hobby shops in my area to go and compare. If anyone can post pics so that I can compare and see if its worth getting a 1/8th or just get a 1/10th scale. Also which is a good entry level truggy (remember I don't plan on racing) looking for more of a RTR. Thanks

1/8th scale can be pretty big for an RC Car. My Truggy is 1/8th scale and is 21.5" long, and 18" wide. Some are bigger...some are slightly smaller. Now for comparison, my 1/10th scale Traxxas Rustler is 15" long, and 12" wide.

Hope that helps?

Truggies require a lot of differential maintenance and frequent CB bearing changes. About 1 hour on a set of CB bearings and you have to throw them away or risk chewing up your CB.
Differentials need fresh diff fluid every2-3 hours to stay at maximum performance.
For what you are wanting to do I'd suggest a 1/8 scale Monster Truck.
HPI Savages or a Losi LST2 are the two best out there.

To give you an answer, take a look at the picture. The one on the left is my 1/10 Tsunami Truggy. The one on the right is my 1/8 Typhoon XP on road car. Big difference in size. If you don't have a ton of money to spend and don't race like me, look into Redcat Racing products. Both of mine are Redcat and I paid $300 for both off of Ebay. They were brand new. Some parts are available on Ebay and on Redcatracing.com. I have also found the parts on many other online hobby stores. I haven't had anything break so far and I have hit a few curbs at high speeds. Have fun bashing.

Attachments

• 100_0362-2.jpg
    100_0362-2.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 125
Truggies require a lot of differential maintenance and frequent CB bearing changes. About 1 hour on a set of CB bearings and you have to throw them away or risk chewing up your CB.
Differentials need fresh diff fluid every2-3 hours to stay at maximum performance.
For what you are wanting to do I'd suggest a 1/8 scale Monster Truck.
HPI Savages or a Losi LST2 are the two best out there.

What!?

Sure, the above applies if you are racing above the club level and top-notch performance is an absolute must at all times... otherwise what you're saying is waaay overkill. Don't scare away the newbies Scrogg (and get some ceramic CB bearings if you're blowing through them that fast) :) Though I completely agree with you on the MT recommendations if that's the route he goes.

For what pistolpete is looking for a nice mid-range Truggy should be great. MT-like durability but with much better maneuverability & balance. Since there's no LHS nearby he'll be relying on ordering online so the range of brands is pretty broad.

Pete, depending on your budget take a look at Cen or OFNA truggy offerings for a smaller budget, Losi or Associated for a larger budget. All are well-known brands with a good track record.

Back