1/8 scale nitro buggy Diff maintenance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hqa85

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
After how many run hours should you change the oil in your differentials? I run my MBX7 about 3 hours a week.

3 hours a week? My suggestion then would be every two weeks, although I've often run my buggy and truggy for probably 5 hours a day for three days, and neglected them for a good month. Dirty? A bit. Damaged or otherwise hurt? Negatory ghost rider.

3 hours a week? My suggestion then would be every two weeks, although I've often run my buggy and truggy for probably 5 hours a day for three days, and neglected them for a good month. Dirty? A bit. Damaged or otherwise hurt? Negatory ghost rider.

There is no 'interval' to service them. I'm basing this on the fact I've had vehicles go gallons without servicing and when I cracked them open it was as good as new. I am constantly testing out diff setups so probably rebuilt/built 70-100 diffs over the past six months (not 'bragging' just stating facts). The items surrounding the differential (bearings/outdrives/housings/bulkheads/inserts/mounts, etc.) are what need servicing.

I have the MBX6r (which I believe use the exact same diffs). I've yet to have any leakage problem I can recall with them. Just like shocks....if they are built right you don't need a set interval per se' like bearings, clutch shoes, etc. If you have no desire to test different setups then I'd say after 1-2 gallons check the items I listed above.

Every diff is different as well. When you go through it, look for wear on any things such as washers under sungears, the backside of pinions and what-not. If you build a new diff, I've found it's best to set it really tight. It will sound like crap at first but it will properly seat itself. AE Green Slime is probably the best sealant I've found as well.

On a separate note..how are you liking that MBX7? Not many Mugen guys on here...those are some durable machines, eh? ;-)

There is no 'interval' to service them. I'm basing this on the fact I've had vehicles go gallons without servicing and when I cracked them open it was as good as new. I am constantly testing out diff setups so probably rebuilt/built 70-100 diffs over the past six months (not 'bragging' just stating facts). The items surrounding the differential (bearings/outdrives/housings/bulkheads/inserts/mounts, etc.) are what need servicing.

I have the MBX6r (which I believe use the exact same diffs). I've yet to have any leakage problem I can recall with them. Just like shocks....if they are built right you don't need a set interval per se' like bearings, clutch shoes, etc. If you have no desire to test different setups then I'd say after 1-2 gallons check the items I listed above.

Every diff is different as well. When you go through it, look for wear on any things such as washers under sungears, the backside of pinions and what-not. If you build a new diff, I've found it's best to set it really tight. It will sound like crap at first but it will properly seat itself. AE Green Slime is probably the best sealant I've found as well.

On a separate note..how are you liking that MBX7? Not many Mugen guys on here...those are some durable machines, eh? ;-)
Thanks for the advice. The Mugen buggy is a blast! It goes around the track like a spider, very responsive. I have a P5 powering it, Hitec servos and I added a M2sec Ackerman and 2mm offset hubs. Some DE skid plates, JConcepts wing and I am happy. The buggy has taken some nasty spills with no breakage or slippage. It's plenty durable. I like wrenching and I know the dogbones wear and the outdrives, and those bearings can go.

Those truggy's look fun, I may need to look at the new 7 seriously. Thanks again for the help!

Yeah, no worries. 'Spider' is good description of how it handles. I was having problems with rear traction going into turns. Some Mugen guys at our track really helped me with the rear traction and I ended up raising the upper link, increasing toe/decreasing anti-squat, hard springs, and 3k. Either that worked or by the time I finished tested each permutation I just became a better driver. ;-)

I know a lot of guys who had problems taming the steering on the 7 and love that M2C ackerman. Mitch Looper is always coming up with something his stuff is as good as it gets.

I've always wondered this and IMHO it really depends on how the vehicle is ran. For example: I'll check and change my diff oil as per HPI on my Baja due to heavy ness of the vehicle. I'll change my diff fluid in my SC10 RS more frequently because I race it. On my savage xl and my MGT 8.0, I'll change them whenever because I only bash them and I don't run them a lot.

Back