1/5 scale electric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLectrician

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I wanna get into a 1/5 electric rig. Preferably a 4wd buggy. Id like to stay under $1000. What do you guys have and like. Mostly for the track but you know I'm gunna send once or 5 times... maybe.

If I was going 1/5 scale, it would be the Losi DBLX-E. A few buddys have them, they seem pretty awesome.

If I was going 1/5 scale, it would be the Losi DBLX-E. A few buddys have them, they seem pretty awesome.
Been lookin at them. I hear a lot of guys say to just go the extra money and get the 5T. But thats just too much money.

Been lookin at them. I hear a lot of guys say to just go the extra money and get the 5T. But thats just too much money.
That, and after you get the 5T you would still need to convert it to electric, which would be even more money. I have an HPI Baja 5B SS that I converted to electric and while it is sweet I really wish I would have gotten a four wheel drive. Would have made it WAAAAAAYYY more fun in my opinion.

This is about the best option. Other than that the Redcat stuff is another option but the electronics are only 6s capable. You could always sell the motor esc combo and put that towards a 8s esc.

Last edited:

To the 5t vs DBLX-E - my local track races 5th scale, here is the podium from this Sunday - a 5t and two DBXL-E. The guy in the bright yellow/green shirt (Wes) is the points leader, with a DBXL-E BTW.

Attachments

• ULTIMATE 5TH SCALE APRIL.jpg
    ULTIMATE 5TH SCALE APRIL.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 93
AE9A9117-8390-46D3-AF0E-A145D5551F5F.jpeg

Go to thercgarage.net then to the off-road large scale. It’s all converted gas to electric large scale. Look for a guy named Aaumann88. He builds them for people. I have a Redcat XBE with 8S. It’s a smaller size large scale. The light weight and size seems better to me. I think a DBXL-E motor mount and center diff could be put in it. Mine actually takes a tremendous beating but has no center diff. Here are a few pics. The larger you go, the more cells you need. Then you get into the insane money for electric. The XBE is a good platform but I have done lots to make it run right on 8S. Lots of home fab work. It’s an absolute animal of an rc on 8S. One hard thing to deal with are the hex hubs to fit other brands of tires. But the stock ones take a rediculous anount of abuse. But they are small. The DBXL-E would be great to get but It’s larger and heavier. The Losi gas buggy converted to electric seems good. The guy Aaumann88builds them often for people. The price will be way more than 1000 bucks. I don’t think the Losi DBXL-E can be beat for an electric large scale ?

Attachments

• 8FD3CA8B-DB0C-4AC8-A483-76D7DD14BFBB.jpeg
    8FD3CA8B-DB0C-4AC8-A483-76D7DD14BFBB.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 81
  • 13D587C0-EDD3-4834-86CB-63BD014F2FDF.jpeg
    13D587C0-EDD3-4834-86CB-63BD014F2FDF.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 65E235F9-40F4-49F2-BC44-08AC9AE4EAD7.jpeg
    65E235F9-40F4-49F2-BC44-08AC9AE4EAD7.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 3C4E8B13-4253-4AC9-8B41-A394BF0C296B.jpeg
    3C4E8B13-4253-4AC9-8B41-A394BF0C296B.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 87
To the 5t vs DBLX-E - my local track races 5th scale, here is the podium from this Sunday - a 5t and two DBXL-E. The guy in the bright yellow/green shirt (Wes) is the points leader, with a DBXL-E BTW.
How stock are those
View attachment 18370 Go to thercgarage.net then to the off-road large scale. It’s all converted gas to electric large scale. Look for a guy named Aaumann88. He builds them for people. I have a Redcat XBE with 8S. It’s a smaller size large scale. The light weight and size seems better to me. I think a DBXL-E motor mount and center diff could be put in it. Mine actually takes a tremendous beating but has no center diff. Here are a few pics. The larger you go, the more cells you need. Then you get into the insane money for electric. The XBE is a good platform but I have done lots to make it run right on 8S. Lots of home fab work. It’s an absolute animal of an rc on 8S. One hard thing to deal with are the hex hubs to fit other brands of tires. But the stock ones take a rediculous anount of abuse. But they are small. The DBXL-E would be great to get but It’s larger and heavier. The Losi gas buggy converted to electric seems good. The guy Aaumann88builds them often for people. The price will be way more than 1000 bucks. I don’t think the Losi DBXL-E can be beat for an electric large scale ?
That thing is a beast. Ill probably end up with the xbe and just doing work to it over time.

How stock are those

That thing is a beast. Ill probably end up with the xbe and just doing work to it over time.
It’s not an easy road. It’s as if you are just rebuilding it all. However, it has been killer.

I have no idea if they are still stock. The last race I was actually at, there was only one DBXL-E, box stock, racing against 3 - 5T's and a Xmax. Two of the 5t's had aftermarket engines, and who knows what else. The DBxl-e ended up on the podium, first or second, not sure. But the owner (Bill) was a great driver - he was also driving 4wd SCT that day, and won every heat and the main.

I've seen Wes's DBLX-e on practice days, and last time I saw it, it was mostly stock (body change). But again, that was a while back.

Humm... I don't see it posted anywhere but RCGroups. Wonder if they accidently posted it early? or recycled an old release?

odd.

Ands today the RCGroups news thread is gone... LOL Guess they jumped the gun on that one.

I was considering the LOSI XL-E but the run time on 5000mAh batts was only 10 min or so? Is that correct? Thing is awesome but god its heavy....

Back