1/24 turning radius?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Scorpion

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
The bugs and heat have won ! I’m considering building an r/c rock crawling track in my basement. My concern is the turning radius on these little trucks. Anybody know how tight they turn ? I’m trying to figure out if I have the space for it.
Thanks .

Thanks Doom ! If I got it figured right I need a minimum of approximately 36 inches . I was thinking maybe building a table out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I had two 34" x 56" tables built, and placed in an L shape. I should have gone at least 36" on the width because it is kinda tight and leaves very little room for any straight movement going around the end of the tables. But 36" would be the minimum I would go.

The only reason I kept it that narrow at all is so we could reach the trucks at the back, since these tables are against the wall. Otherwise I would have gone at least 48" wide.

Hey 1Scorpion, 1/24 should work o.k. on an inside crawler course. Here are two 4ft x 4ft table crawler courses. They were tight for 1/18 but were still fun. 1/24 would have been a better fit for the size. Hope this gives you an idea to start from. Good luck. 'AC'

Attachments

• 087 (2) (800x600).jpg
    087 (2) (800x600).jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 007 (2) (800x600).jpg
    007 (2) (800x600).jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 48
Hey 1Scorpion, 1/24 should work o.k. on an inside crawler course. Here are two 4ft x 4ft table crawler courses. They were tight for 1/18 but were still fun. 1/24 would have been a better fit for the size. Hope this gives you an idea to start from. Good luck. 'AC'
Those are some awesome tables.
I like the video on the turning radius. Thanks Doom.
I’m not sure why going faster made for a tighter turn. So I tried it with my 1/10th scale. And sure enough it does turn tighter
going fast.
Any how I’m thinking about making some obstacles that are portable. That way when I want to change I can just move them around. And when not in use they can be put out of the way.
I’m going to order a 1/24 scale for indoor use.

Portable obstacles will keep it fresh. nice to be able to change it up. Have you decided which 1/24 scale you want?
For my 1st. 1/24 scale I’ve ordered an Axial Deadbolt in the stronger color of red. ;)
I agree about keeping it fresh. I almost was going to do a slot car track but that’s a little tougher to keep changing it up. Now my track size is only limited to the size of our basement. Still might do a table later if I enjoy this. I can always build a bridge to get on the table.
I did try just driving my 1/10 scale around the Man cave ( basement). Just kept having to back up cause of the larger turning radius.
As always I’m open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Well suggestions anyways.

Scorpion, you have me digging out images not looked at for years. Regarding bridges, here is the one I built out of 2 x 4 and 1 x 2. I was just wide enough for a 1/10. 1/18 crossing over in the image. Lift off it was for going from workbench to crawler bench. Modelled it after a railroad trestle near where I grew up way back when.

Reading above, you are putting together a good build plan. Anxious here to follow along as you progress. Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 001 (3) (800x400).jpg
    001 (3) (800x400).jpg
    311 KB · Views: 38
For my 1st. 1/24 scale I’ve ordered an Axial Deadbolt in the stronger color of red. ;)
I agree about keeping it fresh. I almost was going to do a slot car track but that’s a little tougher to keep changing it up. Now my track size is only limited to the size of our basement. Still might do a table later if I enjoy this. I can always build a bridge to get on the table.
I did try just driving my 1/10 scale around the Man cave ( basement). Just kept having to back up cause of the larger turning radius.
As always I’m open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Well suggestions anyways.

Red Deadbolt was my first 1/24 crawler. It's changed a bit since then. ;)

PSX_20210907_210958.jpg

I’m anxious to start building some obstacles. I looked up the sized on the Deadbolt. About 8.5 inches long and 4 inches wide. I’m thinking that’s the outside measurement. With that said if you were going to build a bridge or ramp is 5 inches wide enough? And does anyone know how much space is between the inside of the tires ?
I’m thinking just 2 narrow boards for one bridge.

For bridge width, I made ours 5-1/4" wide, and it needs to be wider for our trucks. But I am running the RC4WD stamped steel wheels with Treal +5mm hubs. I would go about 5-1/2" minimum.
20220707_184409.jpg

20220707_184414.jpg

Looking at the different bridge styles . I take one of each. Very nice. The small boards or scale boards are really nice . Are these homemade ?
I’m headed to store tomorrow going to try to make some fake rocks that will be realistic but light enough to move when not in use. Guess I’ll be looking for small lumber too.

Looking at the different bridge styles . I take one of each. Very nice. The small boards or scale boards are really nice . Are these homemade ?
I’m headed to store tomorrow going to try to make some fake rocks that will be realistic but light enough to move when not in use. Guess I’ll be looking for small lumber too.
The boards I used came in a pack of random Basswood I bought off Amazon. You can use bamboo strips also. Or you can buy small sticks off amazon and do a log type bridge. Lots of different ways to go.

Thanks I definitely appreciate the information. I’m new at this and never tried it. I should have known Amazon. Where we are that’s the go to place to shop. There’s not much close to us.
My new RC truck should be here by Saturday. Having it will help with making things close to the correct size.
I do appreciate everyone’s help.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the bamboo strips, to cut them, are like cutting through a brick. You have to saw them.

If you have a craft store near you, balsa or basswood are both light weight and easy enough to cut with an Xacto knife.
LMAO ! I’m in Murphy,N.C. It’s known as the 2 hour town you can have what ever you want. As long as you are willing to drive 2hrs. Atlanta, Asheville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. All 2hrs away.
Most anything that isn’t at Walmart you use Amazon. We are lucky. The local hobby shop about 25-30 minutes away usually has a good supply for RC cars and trucks. Plus he’s not overpriced.

Back