1/16 erevo vxl or 1/16 summit vxl

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrxXJ00

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone I'm looking to broaden my fleet and get into electric vehicles. So far I have a revo 3.3 and a 4tec 3.3 . I really really like the idea of 1/16 so I will definitely be getting one. Question is should I go with the summit or the erevo? Either one I get will be the vxl model. I like the revo because I know what the nitro version can do so I'm imagining super fast speeds and all over awesomeness. But the summit sounds really cool coming with the long travel rockers and everything. This will definitely be a dedicated basher. I'm leaning towards the summit but I thought I would ask you guys. Price point is pretty close with the summit being about 25 more than the erevo vxl model.

For a straight up basher the mERV is going to preform much better out of the box. The summit will be a lot more tippy because of the higher center of gravity and the tires it has on. Other than that they are pretty much the same. The mini Erevo does have the wing in back to help stabilize it during flight :)

I agree with non Crimen for the same reasons. I have the mERV and really enjoy beating on it. I run 3s LiPo on mine and it's even quicker than my BB Revo.

Ok thanks. I wonder why the summit is a bit more than the revo. They seem to be the same everything except for the body's wheels and long travel suspension which I could always install later on. I like that the revo is quicker too

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

I just thought the summit would a cool wheeler and basher since it is setup to wheel with that height

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I just thought the summit would a cool wheeler and basher since it is setup to wheel with that height

Decisions, decisions

Even the MERV out of the box is very tippy without some tuning, as they come very softly sprung. Also keep in mind, depending on where you want to run it, the MERV sits pretty low being a 1/16, even running through the yard puts a lot of load on the motor and ESC unless you mow your grass golf course style.

Yes, I'm with HPIguy. I had a hard time coming to terms with where I could and couldn't rum my mERV, it seemed like every time I run it in the grass or up hills the Motor/ESC combo would get really hot. <part of the reason I refuse to call it an MT, to me it's more like a buggy/truggy....thing? What ever it is it likes the pavement, and hard pack clay surfaces.

So are you guys for the mini summit then? I don't mind that it can only be run in certain terrains. I have my revo 3.3 for the serious stuff. I just want to get into electric and I think the 11/16 models just seem so cool. I wouldn't mind keeping it out of the tall stuff

What makes the MERV so much faster than the summit? Just simple gearing changes? Because I'm really thinking the MERV plain out might be a better deal money wise if that's the the only real difference between the two. The wheels suspension and gearing must be the only differences

Yikes! 11/16 you could ride on top of something that's size. There must be a gearing change, theres a gearing difference in the 1/16 slash vs the 1/16 revo, not to mention the tire difference as well.
I like my mERV its just that there's not a great deal of flat areas where I live, most of the flat areas are rittled with pit run.

Haha yeah you don't know about the 11/16 models? Very limited run haha

So is the summit better in the thick stuff or is it pretty much the same performance

It's probably just as lite as the mERV, so I'm going to say its just as bouncy over rough terrain, but having that extra bit of ground clearance should be a big help, as long as you consider having a higher centre of gravity will make it slightly more prone to tipping over.

MERV. I've had mine for 3 years and it's a badass little monster. Takes all terrain. Just shim the diffs and upgrade the servo right out of the box. Then replace with RPM as you break.

MERV. I've had mine for 3 years and it's a badass little monster. Takes all terrain. Just shim the diffs and upgrade the servo right out of the box. Then replace with RPM as you break.

Ok I'm leaning more and more towards the MERV now . Could you explain more about shimming the diffs? Why would I want to do that? I like rpm a lot I have true tracks on my 3.3 revo

Ok I'm leaning more and more towards the MERV now . Could you explain more about shimming the diffs? Why would I want to do that? I like rpm a lot I have true tracks on my 3.3 revo

They don't come set properly from the factory. If you don't do it, you will strip the differentials. This is for Traxxas' complete 1:16th line. You will have tons of slop in the wheels. You can't really fix it without dumping more money either. Your servo will die. The esc may die. You'll pop the front body post mount off. The shocks will leak and you'll have to buy the Hot Racing ones for $6 and new shock oil since stock is too thin.

The 1:16th line is a lot of work. This is not my experience however, it is just the list of ultra common repairs that happens to everyone no matter what they do.

Still fun though, love mine.

I am still running the stock servo and VXL-3m ESC and have had no problems. I am running Titus beadlocks and 3s LiPo. I've only had a melted slipper.

I haven't had any of the above, but I did rip apart a GPM swingshaft, and a front centre driveshaft....also by GPM.

Had issues blowing the outdrives in my mini summit so i switched over to the revo arms and rockers and put traxxas cvd's. Lots of wheel slop from the pillow balls these days but the kids don't mind.

They are tough little trucks. I don't think you will be disappointed in either of them

They don't come set properly from the factory. If you don't do it, you will strip the differentials. This is for Traxxas' complete 1:16th line. You will have tons of slop in the wheels. You can't really fix it without dumping more money either. Your servo will die. The esc may die. You'll pop the front body post mount off. The shocks will leak and you'll have to buy the Hot Racing ones for $6 and new shock oil since stock is too thin.

The 1:16th line is a lot of work. This is not my experience however, it is just the list of ultra common repairs that happens to everyone no matter what they do.

Still fun though, love mine.

Ok thanks I appreciate that. Is there a write up on that anywhere or is that fairly easy? I tried my luck over at the traxxas forum but it seems like there is very very little traffic over there. I was the only post in the 4tec section lol I'm trying to find the heavier trafficked forums

I don't mind throwing some money into it that is after all what makes it fun, for me anyway. I work on diesels all day so taking these apart is different and actually really enjoyable

The merv is a great little truck shim the diff forsure and thicker shock oil and springs will help control some of the body roll I have had my merv for about 6 year once in a while half to but a new ring in it. The diff gears will on last so long even being shimmed and rpm arm and knuckles get some adjustable turnbuckles because the rpm parts will throw it out of aliment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back