1:1 scale foam inserts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenburg

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
So, I got an asian 2019 Hondai SUV came into my shop needing a tyre repair. Had a long screw punctured into the tread, flat as a pancake. I break it open and find a foam insert adhered to the inside of tyre carcass radially. I have seen thousands of tyres in my career, but never with a foam insert. So I asked the other guy in the bay and he thought it was a "run flat" type tyre.
What is that foam for anyway? Kinda makes me wonder if the car makers will eventually copy other RC ideas, and we'll all be driving buggies, truggies, and what not down the streets one day.

run flat tires have been used on full size autos for years. there's also a different 1 its layered plastic and now bf goodrich is going with a no rubber tire some kind of plastic. ..I'm chomping at the bite.

I knew right away it wasn't a run flat tyre, too easy to take down. Whatever that foam thing is doing there has nothing to do with durability. I ripped the whole thing out so I could sand and patch from the inside.

1609477349585.png