1:1 Fan conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I've always had a problem running hot while idling for more than 10 minutes with the AC on.
It's the Mustang GT 5.0 HO engine with a belt drive clutch fan.
I'm wondering if anyone has some advise on what would be required to convert it over to electric.
The fan would come out and I'd need shorter bolts since I still need the water pump pulley. I'm guessing the existing shroud would also go.
It seems the big Lincoln single fan units would be the best and would be available in a junk yard.
Would anything else be better or as good? What else would it need in the way of sensors or relays?

I've always had a problem running hot while idling for more than 10 minutes with the AC on.
It's the Mustang GT 5.0 HO engine with a belt drive clutch fan.
I'm wondering if anyone has some advise on what would be required to convert it over to electric.
The fan would come out and I'd need shorter bolts since I still need the water pump pulley. I'm guessing the existing shroud would also go.
It seems the big Lincoln single fan units would be the best and would be available in a junk yard.
Would anything else be better or as good? What else would it need in the way of sensors or relays?
i seam to be having trouble with this posting system. but here goes. first check out that the stock system is right or not. the fan / clutch might not be working right. an after market fan / clutch might be easier to put on. a diff shroud or a custom one might work. years ago i made a custom shroud. all so there are some additives for the coolant that might help. once i found a big list of them with a detailed report of each brand i can post the one that was the best tomorrow. time for bed.

Look for a Cobra thermostatic fan conversion kit from places like RockAuto.com. That should have enough air flowing. Also, like Moe said, get a radiator shop to see if the radiator is clogged at all.

I've used the Royal Purple radiator additive and does seem to help my Acura run a bit cooler.

Excellent info and links. Thanks very much.
It's done this since I bought it in 2000, so it's not like it's a new problem. The clutch fan was also replaced new 2 years ago.

Step up to a 4 core radiator and the electric fans, if it still runs hot the water jackets have to be partially clogged.

Look for a Cobra thermostatic fan conversion kit from places like RockAuto.com. That should have enough air flowing. Also, like Moe said, get a radiator shop to see if the radiator is clogged at all.

I've used the Royal Purple radiator additive and does seem to help my Acura run a bit cooler.
i found a coolant additive. my lube gard. www.lubegard.com kool-it p/n 96001. scored very high in a very extensive test that i saw. i have nothing against other brands

^^^ 4 core radiator and a a bottle of "Water Wetter" should help. i ran it in my Drag trucks thru the summer.

Under ALL normal circumstances there's not a problem. In the winter I have trouble getting the heat up when I'm on the highway.
It's ONLY when the AC runs while idling. I'm not about to swap out the radiator for just that.

Have you checked the thermostat. Sometimes that causes the problems you're having. I had an older Camaro that did the things that your car is doing when it had no thermostat in it.

Have you checked the thermostat. Sometimes that causes the problems you're having. I had an older Camaro that did the things that your car is doing when it had no thermostat in it.
strange as may sound i had a car that overheated with no stat.

strange as may sound i had a car that overheated with no stat.

that comes from the T-stat not closing and not keeping the water in the radiator long enough to cool off before it circulates back thru the system. whats the reason you dont want to change the Radiator? the cost of having it done? theres a website that sells radiators dirt cheap, we priced one for my brothers land rover a few years back it was over 600 bux, found it online for a little over 100 bux, personally i would rather change the radiator that put on electric fans, If you do buy a new T-stat, i would buy a 195 degree, it may have a 160 degree in it.