What do you guys know about projector headlights?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some of you have read that I banged up the front of my truck and it will need repair work. Part of the repair will be a new headlight housing for the passenger side and we all know that when you break it you should up grade it! The stock headlights suck on this truck and I'm thinking about going to a projector housing, the insurance is paying half so this seems like the best time.

I'm not real big on the halo's but here is what I have in mind.....I would like to here opinions and suggestions!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0150369573&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If this does work out I might look into putting a set of hid's in them.

I know that HIDs and projectors are illegal, and one of the newest major things we are cracking down on.........

I know that HIDs and projectors are illegal, and one of the newest major things we are cracking down on.........

Is that only in a after market upgrade, or on any vehicle, I thought some of your newer vehicles came equipped from the factory with those kind of lights.

in louisiana, primary driving lights have to be as they are from the factory. So yea, cars like lexus, infinity etc.... with factory HID lights it is fine. Any aftermarket modifications are illegal. As well as any colors besides white are illegal as states in LRS 32:303 Section D, which includes HID lighting specifically.

LRS. 32:303D
§303. Headlamps on motor vehicles; motorcycles and motordriven cycles

A. Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motordriven cycle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this Chapter.

B. Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this Chapter.

C. Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motordriven cycle, shall be located at a height, measured from the center of the headlamp, of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in R.S. 32:302.

D.(1) Every headlamp described in this Section shall emit a white light only, including light emitted by white high intensity discharge forward lighting.

(2) No motor vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps that are off-road colored lights. The provisions of this Subparagraph shall not apply to white emitting lights.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1974, No. 166, §1; Acts 1999, No. 646, §1.

This one is my favorite POP ticket. (pissed off the police)

32:353

§353. Modification of exhaust systems

No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle, above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle and the original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of R.S. 32:352.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1.

Where did it say you couldn't modify you lights? I only read that they had to be white.

Does your department hand you decibel meters or is it officer discretion on the amplify or increase noise with exhaust?

I totally understand the lights, anything over 6000k is a joke. They start to get blue and then purple, you can't see $#!t with 'em. I have 4300k as stock lights on my Z, and that's pretty much the perfect color. The 10,000k I had on there were terrible. Anyway, S-maxxin I would get those with a HID conversion kit. It's going to cost you, but projector reflectors by themselves will still look cool.

Where did it say you couldn't modify you lights? I only read that they had to be white.

Does your department hand you decibel meters or is it officer discretion on the amplify or increase noise with exhaust?

Modify from stock appearance. Such as adding an HID setup. Adding an HID removes the cutoff of the beam that comes from the factory. thus endangering other drivers by blinding them while driving down the road. And any HID kit after around 5000k will not be white. Many people have tried to fight it, many have lost, none have won in court with me.

Improper Equipment

§53. Proper equipment required on vehicles

A. No person shall drive or move, nor cause or knowingly permit any vehicle owned or controlled by him to be driven or moved, on any highway of this state, at any time, any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person or property, or which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lamps and other equipment, in proper condition and adjustment, as required in this Chapter, or which is constructed or equipped in any manner in violation of this Chapter, and no person shall do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this Chapter.

32:321

§321. Multiple beam road lighting equipment

Except as hereinafter provided, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamps or the auxiliary passing lamp or combinations thereof on motor vehicles other than motorcycles or motor-driven cycles shall be so arranged that the driver may control the selection between the distributions of light projected to different elevations, subject to the following requirements and limitations:

(1) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 500 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.

(2) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eye of an approaching driver.

(3) Every new motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, registered in this state after January 1, 1955, which has multiple beam road lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamps is in use, and shall not otherwise be lighted. Said indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1.

Decibal meters are not required. It is officers discretion. Never lost one of those either.

Still doesn't say anything about aftermarket lights. Just that the lights must be aimed correctly and not to be used in a blinding manor.

That's pretty nice that you have discretion with noise like that... Usually that leaves a wide range of argument open. What's loud to you might not be loud to me. To compare a sound in the middle of a cold quiet night or the middle of a warm busy day... That type of stuff. You’d have a field day over here in my area... Seems like every car on the road has a coffee can for a muffler

I work federal so we don't deal with these types of infractions (plus every state/county is different). There really needs to be injury or victim for us to get involved... Even then it sometimes/often gets handed off to Local, County or State agencies depending on the location, severity and type of crime... I’m sure you know the story…

Sorry to take this thread off topic... (Plus and I really don’t want to debate another L.E.O.. It’s never fun, lol)

They are illegal here in Idaho too.

That's pretty nice that you have discretion with noise like that... Usually that leaves a wide range of argument open. What's loud to you might not be loud to me. To compare a sound in the middle of a cold quiet night or the middle of a warm busy day... That type of stuff. You’d have a field day over here in my area... Seems like every car on the road has a coffee can for a muffler

Anything louder than stock........ not that hard to figure out.......

Anything louder than stock........ not that hard to figure out.......

Man... no offense bro but ya'll lawmakers are taking all the fun out of hot rodding. I mean seriously, what's wrong with adding a little bit of audible personality to your ride? I'm not saying I think open headers should be legal but if you guys are seriously ticketing every 20-something with a cat-back IMO things are going a bit too far. Just my two cents...

Man... no offense bro but ya'll lawmakers are taking all the fun out of hot rodding. I mean seriously, what's wrong with adding a little bit of audible personality to your ride? I'm not saying I think open headers should be legal but if you guys are seriously ticketing every 20-something with a cat-back IMO things are going a bit too far. Just my two cents...

I couldn't agree more!

So when I had my 73 Javelin AMX and my 74 Camaro, both with headers, hooker on the Camaro, blackjack on the AMX, and Thrush mufflers, and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, you're telling me I am illegal? or is it only after certain model years. Cuz my cars were with out a doubt louder than stock. :D

Oh by all means mine is too. running straight pipe from turbo-back. Thats y i said great POP tickets. I'm in Louisiana........ rednecks with big trucks and loud exhausts everywhere. Just be nice, and you wont get one of those tickets. HAHA

Whats with this yall lawmaker stuff? I dont make the laws. I just have fun with them.

god i love living in kentucky. as long as your stuff isnt falling apart and wont deafin or blind someone, they dont care.

and for the exhaust on a motorcycle, have you swamp ppl ever heard the expression that "loud pipes save lives"?

i bet you guys pull over every lowrider pickup that comes thru! buddy of mine has a square body ford ranger thats been bagged, body dropped, chopped and sectioned. the STOCK 4 cyc motor sticks thru the hood about 4-5 inches... i think his headlights are around the 18-20 inch mark off the ground when the truck is layed out... thats rollin hard right there!

I do not mean ya'll as in including you. I meant ya'll as in your. What's a POP ticket? Is that like icing on the cake when you run into somebody who wants to give you a hard time?

Last I knew, in NY, it couldn't be louder than the loudest stock production car, which at the time was a new mustang I think. That's the way it should be everywhere. Do yoos guys allow tinted windows in Louisiana? We aren't supposed to have them here in NY because long ago some D!@# shot a trooper. One idiot ruined it for all of us.

But hard to prove in a court room.

Not really. Last time a guy tried to fight it, the DA had him bring his truck to the front of the court house. Was pretty funny.

And yea, window tint laws here are pretty strict. No less than 40% on front side windows, no less than 25% rear side windows, 12% back glass.

i bet you guys pull over every lowrider pickup that comes thru!

As long as they are not scraping, or throwing sparks, i dont car how low you put your vehicle.

Soon to be 5% tint all around for me. I have straight pipes too. I also live in a little town called maurice thats known for pullin people over for tint/exhaust/inspection stickers/1mph over speed limit. As long as you not pedal to the metal 24/7 attracting attention the law leaves you alone around here. I never got into the whole HID thing they are nice but kinda pointless.

Hm now to find camera to post pics

Oh and only reason my truck has the aftermarket lights is because thats how i bought it and I'm to cheap to change them. :)

You'd see the point if you had one with oem hids, they're great and last forever. In NY the allowable tint % is very close to what every vehicle with A/C already has embedded in the glass, in other words, nothing! Most pigs won't mess with you if they're lightly tinted, like 35%, but go limo style and you're gettin' wheeled.