David's Tamiya TT-02 10th scale On-Road TC build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F/R bumpers on
Front hubs and dogbones done. Next is gonna be rear hubs / dogbones and shocks. Gonna build up the kit friction shocks first. Try them out. And build up those aluminum oil filled ones.

PXL_20240310_205904674.jpg

PXL_20240310_205924134.MP.jpg

Starting to look like a car now!

PXL_20240310_211921057.jpg

PXL_20240310_211930876.jpg

Last edited:
Have you slept at all since you got this thing 🤣
I have slept. Been working on this for about 2 hours now. Pretty easy and simple to put together.

Shocks done. Easiest socks I built before

Last edited:
Is your homework done, you go back to school tomorrow?
1. No / sort of
2. I wish not

Well left of with the steering. After that I got the servo and esc in. And my receiver. Did not use the receiver case. Mounted receiver ontop of servo and esc inbetween the servo and motor. Also put the esc switch in the motor cage thing. And if I am right, if I take the little cover / vent thing for the motor, I should be able to fit a fan which I will get a ProTek fan at some point later on.

After that, Got the wheel hubs on and the wheels. And some more pics / testing videos.
I noticed that the stub axles in the hubs had alot of play. The manual only said to put 1 bearing in the outer part of the hub. I went back in to put another bearing in the inner hub and added some grease. Well when I mean bearings, I actually mean the plastic bushings.

Upgrades I got planned:
Alu shocks (already have)
Not dogbone axles
Aluminum center driveshaft
Sealed diffs
Ball Bearing kit
Tires (Stock TT02 tires and some race tires. I guess its slicks these days? Not sure)
Brushless system and 5mm bullets
Different body and paints (once this one gets beat up)

Planning on going to the local onroad track in a few weekends just to watch some racing and ask questions as on what classes and what tires and see if I can run my TT02 there with them.

PXL_20240311_000545065.jpg

PXL_20240311_000553705.jpg

PXL_20240311_000615327.MP.jpg

PXL_20240311_000622244.jpg

PXL_20240311_004708263.jpg

This ESC should be able to run Brushless AND Brushed right? Trying to see which wires from the esc go to which wires on the motor. Assuming if its actually color coded, yellow motor wire should go to yellow ESC wire. But where would the green go?
And once I do get a BL motor, most likely a 21.5T, ill test it out with this esc too. And if needed, Ill upgrade to a 10BL120 SD or Justock ESC.

Videos:

Tomorrow once I come home from school. Ill get my homework done ( @Tunedfrog )
And ill continue the build. I got the rest of the parts off the trees and in a snack ziplock bag. I got body mounts, and bumpers to do. And Ill also cutout the body and test fit it. And thats all I can do until I go to one of the LHSs to get 2 sets of tires and some paint. Hopefully in time to enter in ROTM. If not ill enter it next month.
Started the build last night and wrenched for an hour. Today started around 3 and ended at 6:30. And then 7:30 to 8:45. On/off wrenching here / there. So I am thinking it took me a total of 5 hours straight to get it all together. If I do get another TT02 kit in the future, I should be able to get that time down to about 3-4 hours if I don't stop to take breaks. Lol

Oh yea, before I do anything else, I would have to get the motor/esc all hooked up and a battery plug soldered on.

Just figured out my own question for that esc. Shows it in the manual.
Only downside I see is the input voltage. 6.6v to 7.2v. Meaning I can't use a lipo with this? That sucks. :( But it says 2s so I should be able to run lipo?

Last edited:
Looking good. That steering play... that's the worst thing on these kits. I put aluminum arms on it and that didn't even help much. The only steering bellcrank out there that will remove some of that slop is the Tamiya brand one, and it's ridiculously priced.

So got my thing situated. I had to a BUNCH of Grease to the bearings axles stub axles amd those plastic bushings to get it to actually move the wheels. Yuck. Got the ESC soldered up. Traxxas plug. Tried to actually solder a new Traxxas plug with the gold tabs and couldn't get the gold tabs into the actually plug and I broke the plastic case. So I took a old Traxxas plug from one of my old charge leads. Would have done 5mm bullets since that's what I am good at soldering with/at. So that's how I burnt my hand. Sometimes I feel like this build was a waste of my time but whatever.

So now actually going to finish it up it's the front bumper and body mounts. Tomorrow cutout the body. And I'll paint and get tires most likely after spring break.

PXL_20240312_002122479.jpg

PXL_20240312_002132531.jpg

PXL_20240312_002307576.jpg

Haven't done anything since Monday. Hoping to get the body all cut out, painted (full silver) and mounted this weekend. And get tires next week. I got to order AMain soon so I can get all the other cars fixed up and ready.

Later:
Reedy 21.5 FTM motor
Hobbywing Justock ESC
5mm bullets from 1UP racing. Or any other brand as TQ wire, protek or Maclan
Stock Tamiya kit included tires and USGT Gravity tires
And might get a bottle of SXT 3.0 compound just in case. As that's the only compound they allow for carpet use. And or simple green.

And since I am interested doing this TCS race next year, I am planning to keep the upgrades low and only upgrade what Tamiya and other racers recommend. Thinking about racing the GT Pro stock class if I get to the track, practice and do a couple club races. Or GT Spec/Novice if I can't get to the track before then.
Ball bearings are a must. That's what I know so far.

TCS Race Thread

New body and wing might be needed for racing. Ideally only need a wing because. It looks cool and more down force. I think they offer a wing option kit for the bodies that don't have wings like this one? Edit: GT Pro Stock is a Ford/Mercades/Porsche/Toyota Body class.

These are the Spec tire for 180 Raceway

Last edited:
Back