Engine head smoking and extremely hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arunb2006

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted ask a quick question last week I bought an HPI savage x 4.6 nitro and i did the break in process. So today I decided to do a bit of tuning which I had no idea what to do and I turned the high speed needle anti clockwise about 4 or 5 times and same goes for the low speed needle I also started to play around with the idle screw i then knew something didn’t seem right as the car was just accelerating to its max and wouldn’t stop at all also loads of smoke started to come out the engine head were the glow plug is i touched the engine and it was extremely hot. Can anyone help me pls as I don’t know what to do now as every time I start it up it just keeps accelerating and what do I do if the engine head is smoking. Sorry for all the questions I am new to the hobby!!

thankyou.

Hi guys just wanted ask a quick question last week I bought an HPI savage x 4.6 nitro and i did the break in process. So today I decided to do a bit of tuning which I had no idea what to do and I turned the high speed needle anti clockwise about 4 or 5 times and same goes for the low speed needle I also started to play around with the idle screw i then knew something didn’t seem right as the car was just accelerating to its max and wouldn’t stop at all also loads of smoke started to come out the engine head were the glow plug is i touched the engine and it was extremely hot. Can anyone help me pls as I don’t know what to do now as every time I start it up it just keeps accelerating and what do I do if the engine head is smoking. Sorry for all the questions I am new to the hobby!!

thankyou.

You should not run it anymore like that ,you can destroy the engine!
It sounds like there is an air leak somewhere ,possible the head screws are loose ,make
sure the screws are tight ,I've bought new engines with the head screws loose before ,
any type of air leaks will cause erratic revs an will not tune!

You should not have to turn needles that much ,usually ,it is merely no more than a
1/4 turn!

thankyou.
reset your needles back to factory settings. Those should be in the kits manual or if not then it should be in the engines manual. Then set the idle gap to about 1mm. Then try tuning it again only this time use THIS nitro tuning flow chart so you know what you're doing.

thankyou.
reset your needles back to factory settings. Those should be in the kits manual or if not then it should be in the engines manual. Then set the idle gap to about 1mm. Then try tuning it again only this time use THIS nitro tuning flow chart so you know what you're doing.
Hello,
Thankyou very much for your advise my rc car is better tuned now engine head isn't smoking either thankyou so much for all your help