Yet another Tuning Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

Yesterday evening was so nice I decided to take the Tmaxx out for the first time this year. It had been sitting since the end of warm weather last year. Now I have made a few upgrades since then. I installed and New ACNCM head, and a THS tuned pipe. The TMaxx was a Birthday gift from my girlfriend at the end of August so it is still bran new. I still have not had the thing on dirt yet. Now when I was going through the break in period with all stock components it shifted into 2nd with no problem. Once I got that far in the break in process that is. Now I understand that I still need to run at least 5 or 6 more tanks for it to really be "Broken" in, but I have run it through Traxxas' break in cycle, even repeating steps because I broke it in over several days. Now when I ran it yesterday the Temp would not get over 160 degrees, in fact when I measured it, it was like 140. Now I am guessing that I am running it to rich, in fact when I hit the gas it left a trail of oil on the blacktop. Which way to I have to turn the HSN to lean it out? (Newbie) Also I had some trouble getting it started but once started it ran real nice. A little hesitation but ran nice. Except one thing... it didn't always want to shift into 2nd. Sometimes it would, and other times it almost sounded like it hit a rev limiter? I don't know. Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what I need to do. I hope I didn't kill the engine. After I heard it making those sounds I took it easy and just ran the tank out. I know this is long but I didn't know any better way to describe it. Thanks again guys.

Tom

Hang in there man, you are alright. You've installed a massive cooling head since your last run, that is more than likely the reason that your temps are running so cool. To lean the HSN you will turn it clockwise (tighten), as you know, do this a little at a time and run the truck between adjustments to let the change set in.

Your shifting or lack there of is more than likely due to the truck being out of tune...again directly related to the improved cooling of the new head. As you get the fuel/air mixture dialed in, the truck should start to shift properly.

Let us know how it goes.

Mr T

Groovy, Thanks Mr T.... I was worried I had severely messed up my mill and the truck is still bran new. Thanks again for the words of encouragement! I know I can always count on good advice and friendly folks on this site. Man am I relieved..... Just so I am sure on this... I should not touch the LSN or Idle until I have the HSN dialed in right? Thanks again.

Tom

THat is correct. Do not touch the LSN/Idle until the HSN is set correctly. If adjusting the HSN does not raise the running temp to at 240, you will have to lean out the LSN to raise the temp. I'm a newbie myself and learned that tuning can be a headache but folks on this site are very helpful.

How do you know if you have leaned the motor too much? Do you adjust the HSN until the Temp raises to 240? I am just afraid of leaning the mill out too much and being a newbie I am not so sure I will know where I am at as far as tuning. Also which way do you turn the LSN once you get there? Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
Both needles work like a faucet valve for a garden hose. Open it by turning to the left, or counterclockwise, and you get more fuel. Clockwise is less.
When it's idling, you should get little droplets spitting out of the exhaust. Hold your finger about a half inch from the pipe for a couple of seconds, then make sure there's oil on your fingertip. If you're not getting any, you need to richen it.
Temp is just the final check to make sure your settings are safe, but sound, performance and smoke are the main thing.

I hear that Rolex guy is full of smoke...he don't know squit bout tuning T-maxxes.....ahh everyone here as a matter of fact don't know squit bout tuning.....you don't need to break it in...just pull it out of yer box and let her rip......why waste the tightest pinch on your sleeve w/ all that breakin crap.....man what a bunch of newbies especially that rolex guy.......makes me want to :puke:

gotcha :jk:

Hey now no one is allowed to hurl but me lmao :puke:

Rolex said:
Oh no. More hurling. Not a good thing to do when you're stuck in a little fish bowl.
LMAO! swimming in your own crap PLUS spew! Great Combo!!!

i dont know much about tuning the tmaxx but from what i hear you would have to be pretty lean to get 240f with the acncm head ...i think you would look for 210 -230f maybe

Except one thing... it didn't always want to shift into 2nd.

Having it lean enough to make proper power will make it shift right again. I had the same problem. Also, after break-in your slipper clutch may need to be adjusted. I think for it to be in proper adjustment the nut should be 1/4 turn out from full in. Double check your manual.

As to your question on "too lean", an easy rule of thumb is to make sure you see a steady stream of blue smoke coming out of the pipe all through the acceleration, from start to WOT. Rolex's method works too, but sometimes I have been fooled by that method. I almost cooked my SS 12 motor! That motor runs rich at idle but leans quick at WOT. I thought I had an airleak but I sealed it up and it still does the same thing.