XTM .18in a maxx (review/update)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lykan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I got the .18 tuned today. It's definetaly a worth while engine for the maxx. As i said in my previoius post, mine was used for about 2 gallons in a stadium truck before the swap.

It's got plenty of power. It tunes nicely if everything is good with no air leaks. It smoked the stock clutch quick.

Once again I had to totaly change my driving style. It shifts almost instantly. If I so desired I could spin the tires on pavement/gravel until I had no tires left to spin.

When I caught air on the speed bump, or bump in the terrain, It would often wheelie/flip on landing, not expecting that kind of power.

With a 20 tooth clutch bell, it had a lot more torque/power than the trx pro with a 18 toother. (enough to ballon the tires when one wheel is off the ground.

I found that I could run the XTM at 170-200 and still have enough power to have fun with. When tuned to 240-260 it really comes alive.

I was running 20% nitro, 16% oil. I am sure with Trinity 20%N-12%O or the likes it could bring even a little more power out of it. I have the XTM tuned pipe made especially for the .18, with the XTM header for the t-maxx Application

This is again a used engine.

It as easy to tune as any other decent engine. If you know what you'e doing you can find the sweet spot fairly easy.

If your looking for enough power to really get your T-Maxx rolling, but not so much you you blow your drive train apart. This is the ticket.

If you're looking to be able to pull wheelies, be able to roost, and have some damn sweet top end, this engine will do it.

If you're looking for enough power to have a blast without doing a conversion, again this is the ticket :D

BTW the best customer suport I have seen in any company R/C or otherwise.

I'll see if I can gather enough coin to get some 20%N/12%O and grab a video of it running around so you can judge for yourself.

Anyone else have any experience with the XTM .18 in the maxx?

So is that a direct drop in, no modifications?

Last edited:
You need a header that will fit the xtm .18 because, it's rear exhaust. You also have to dremel the crank down on certain models (mine had a long crankshaft).

Other than those towo little deals yup! A drop in :D

orderd mine for 109$ from stormer..should be here any day now. have had a great experience with the xtm 24.7..and am sure the .18 will be jsut as nice. great engines for great prices from xtm. BTW mine is going into my rs4 SS/mt-2 conversion I'm building.

MT2 isn't that like a 4wheel drive stadium truck? If It is, I've seen on in person. The XTM .18 would make that thing fly...again their customer service..bar none the best out there..

By the way with the XTM .18 you need to run a 20% nitro /12% oil. I found today that it's so much easier to tune, and runs soo much better with that combo, than traxxas top fuel, or a 16% oil fuel.

Your going to have to add to this review once you run it.

Lykan,

The XTM .18 is considerably (sp) faster than the 2.5? I soon will be looking for a new motor for my 2.5 T-maxx. I was thinking phantom 18 or sirio 18. But if the XTM .18 is fast that might be a good ticket for me. Do you think it can hang with the other motors? Also you said the customer service is great? Thanks for the info

Michael

I haven't run against the sirio, or the phantom. For the price $79-85, I won't gamble on the others, the Maxx has more than enough power with the XTM for me, keep in mind, it's saw two noobie gallons before it ever made into my maxx.

I used 20% nitro 16% oil for breaking in, and trinity for general use. You will not get performance or an easy tune with any fuel that carrys 16% oil in it. It runs cooler with 12% oil, go figure

As for their customer service, they've mailed me parts for my Stadium truck more than once, free of charge, and same day requested. This back when I was a complete NOOB and the damage was probably my fault. Their board is full of comments like mine about their service. If their is any doubt about it being their fault, they will fix the problem, on their dime.

If for anything else I would buy their engines for their support alone. They definetaly deserve the props. You will also hear me brag about their service in any other XTM post I have made..

mikeo2, if you want considarably more power over the 2.5, i would go with one of the sirio's or fantoms. (or do what i did and go big block...more power than youll ever need haha) the trx 2.5 while being very temperamental puts out great power when it runs right. i have a brand new xtm .18 almost ready to go into a rs4 sitting on my table now, but after reading online and in magazines..it seems the trx 2.5 is actually the more powerful engine. (and the trx 2.5 has a 1.33 real hp dyno'ed rating..while the xtm is jsut claimed 1.3hp) but i have heard from every were the xtm .18 is a super reliable, easy to break in and tune mill. i will be finding out this weeknd how the xtm .18 runs. unforunatly i wont beable to compare it to a trx 2.5 directly..as both engines were/will be in different r/c's.

BTW i have also ran a sirio .18 8-port version in my maxx before going big block...and it definatly makes the truck scream, and pulls wheelies much more often than the 2.5. for me though it had a very small error margin for tuning the sweet spot.

update on the xtm .18 i have in my rs4 "mt-2". it is fully broken in now, and after putting a sirio big bore pipe on it today the engine is very powerful, i would say easily over twice as powerful as the hpi 12rss engine that came with the kit. even though the 12rss claims 1+hp and the xtm .18 claims 1.3hp, the difference is huge. to anyone that owns the xtm .18 i highly recommend the sirio big bore pipe, it makes this engine scream. funny thing is my rs4
"mt-2" goes faster now and accelerates like mad with first gear only and taller tires than the it did with 2-speed and small touring car tires...i need a friend to run my storm pro with a hyper 8-port in it agianst the rs4, but i think the converted rs4 goes faster.

break in was an absolute breeze, started up on the very first pull and went thru the heat cycle process at 200 degrees perfectly. tuning is spot on, stays at 240 degrees from top to bottem of tank no matter how much i gun it. I'm running a OS A5 plug right now. for 105$ i highly recommend this engine...as well as any engine from XTM.

Good to hear it, I was really wondeirng how your engine turned out :D Even tho I love my XTM I figured I might be biased or just lucky with a good mill.. looks like XTM is puting out some kick ass engines these days :D

Mine, even tho I killed it do to the air filter coming off, and it getting choked with dirt, still runs sweet. I did have to tear it down for cleaning twice.. and re-tap a head bolt.

BTW i have also ran a sirio .18 8-port version in my maxx before going big block...and it definatly makes the truck scream, and pulls wheelies much more often than the 2.5. for me though it had a very small error margin for tuning the sweet spot.

If the sirio had so much power y did you go big block? I'm not putting down ur decision, i'm just wondering why.

Originally posted by alkyula
mikeo2, (or do what i did and go big block...more power than youll ever need haha)

Going big block has it's vast share of problems as well. If your run anything that is rated over 2hp, you run into lots of drive train issues and constant flipping from the short truck.

I currently have a 21 maxx with an Omega 21 Comp and a 2.5 maxx with an orion 18 in it. The 18 is the way I should have gone first. I got annoyed at my 2.5, and immediatly dropped a 21 in it. Then new RRP trans, steel cvd's, new shocks to handle the extra weight of all the aluminum I put on as well.

JMHO, I'd go with a 18 maxx. I'm not saying the orion is a powerhouse, but for $85 and lots of wheelies (2wd only), I don't really care! Aside from the engine being cheaper, it gets better milage, the power is low enough not to tear the drivetrain apart every time out as well.

I drive my 18 maxx WWWWAAAAAAAAAyyyyyyyyy more than I drive my 21 maxx. It made the hobby fun again.

Yea i have the fantom .18 and when thats gone I'm gonna go for the picco .21 "midblock." My friend just went big block and its been costing him ALOTTA money!

haha...the need to spend money and and have to do something to the maxx is why i went big block. and as fast as the sirio was it is nothing compared to the xtm 24.7 in torque and being able to romp around off-road without breaking a sweat. andmy xtm conversion kit is longer in wheelbase than my savage .25, and with my suspesion set at the lowerd settings on the rpm arms the truck is very stable, and is much better feeling than when i had the sirio in there with the short wheelbase. so far i have only blown the rear diff once, and after going to a kippster setup it has held fine so far. my cvd pins dont last long...but they are cheap and i think its a decent price to pay for how much fun the truck is now. knock on wood but i have zero tranny problems yet. the way i see it is...you gota spend somemony eachtime you go bash...since your having a nice time...heck..i spend more moeny each time i go to the bar and all i get is a headache the next day....haha

Back