WOW do I despise Windows 10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, @WoodiE I had already found that but no explanation as to why. I just edited and printed some copies of a file through Open Office and I'm pretty sure I'm good to go without using MS Word anymore.

Glad that worked for you. Unfortunately, the shortcuts and menus are going to be new for you to learn, but it least it got you through your current problem.

Thi
Had a catastrophic failure in the monster computer I built back in February of 2015. I totally lost the 2TB partition on my internal hard drive, then the ENTIRE 1TB external HD and a day later all access to the internet. I lost a fortune's worth of pics and videos but at least my music can be retrieved through iTunes.
I refused to upgrade from Win7 to 10 since I had messed with it before but in a new computer you have no choice. What used to be simple now becomes a nightmare of research, trial and error to change. It took me 2 days to finally lock Firefox in as my default browser since MS Bing kept elbowing itself in no matter how many times I tried to change it. I finally got that working the way I like, but I'm sick of this OS that's forced on us. It didn't get any better, just more confusing.
Be on standby, @WoodiE. I'll probably be hitting you up for advise.

This is why I still use Windows 7 Professional personally. I have to know Win 10 for my career but I still don't trust it. Sorry for your issues. ALWAYS back up to an external device with a non Windows backup program ie a 3rd party program.

I'll get used to it. I've ditched a LOT of MS programs through the years and this will just be one more. In a new computer, the only time I use IE is to download Firefox.
Chrome works great also.

Wish I would have been here when the problem happened. I could have saved you drilling through a good drive just to hide the prongs ✌?

ALWAYS back up to an external device with a non Windows backup program ie a 3rd party program.
I'm now running 2 external hard drives for a double back-up. Major loss with the last one so I'm never going to take that chance again.

Yeah once you get bit most of us learn our lesson. I was an I.T. Manager and I got caught with my pants down so it's happened to the best of us! ??

A few years ago, a long term regular member who, I believe also worked as a techie, was doing a clean up in his computer and wiped out his wedding pics. He sent the hard drive out but they were unable to retrieve what he lost. Haven't seen him in a while. Maybe his wife had him "eliminated".
I think it was either lessen or the guy from the Canadian border in Maine. Drew a blank on the name.

A few years ago, a long term regular member who, I believe also worked as a techie, was doing a clean up in his computer and wiped out his wedding pics. He sent the hard drive out but they were unable to retrieve what he lost. Haven't seen him in a while. Maybe his wife had him "eliminated".
I think it was either lessen or the guy from the Canadian border in Maine. Drew a blank on the name.
Luckily I was able to recover what data I had lost that I couldn't recover from the server but I was honest with boss about it. She was more worried about the server backups rather than my little hard drive problem. I can't for the life of me remember what the program was as this was like 2006 or something but it did work. Sending it out wasn't an option for the price with no guarantee. I had to laugh at myself. Lol.

Sending it out wasn't an option for the price with no guarantee.
I couldn't even consider sending it out since every detail of my life was stored on it. All my info, SS#, bank accounts, credit card #s, you name it, it was on it. Sending it out would be like saying, "Here's my entire identity. Help yourself."

Yeah that can definitely be a scary thing in this day and age. It's definitely an individual's call. I for one would be ok with a certified reputable service that is U.S based only ?

I couldn't even consider sending it out since every detail of my life was stored on it. All my info, SS#, bank accounts, credit card #s, you name it, it was on it. Sending it out would be like saying, "Here's my entire identity. Help yourself."

I used to work for a company that dealt with tens of thousands of customer PII (personally identifiable information), and we had to send drives out once. You just have to make sure the company is reputable and bound by the same laws and compliance standards as anyone who deals with this type of information. But, if you're getting that kind of security promise, it won't be cheap I can assure you.

I could easily come up with all the info I needed but I wouldn't risk giving it out to save my photos. 90% of them are gone forever.

Multiple backups for the win. On-site and Off-site, otherwise you're still at risk.

The external back-up that wiped when my last computer failed was always powered up. The 2 I have now ONLY run when I physically add files or photos to them and that's just one at a time. If anything ever goes wrong with the comp, there's no damage to the external drives.

Sure, unless you have a fire, someone breaks into your place, or any other disaster happens at your place of residence and it doesn't matter if you had 2 or 10 copies - you've very likely lost them all.

This is why I suggest any file that's important that you have 3 copes (the orginial, local backup and off-site backup). That's just my two cents.

Sure, unless you have a fire, someone breaks into your place, or any other disaster happens at your place of residence and it doesn't matter if you had 2 or 10 copies - you've very likely lost them all.
Gotcha. I'm now backing info on USB thumb drives that I'll store in the car and one of the HDs will be at the neighbor's.