WOW do I despise Windows 10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Had a catastrophic failure in the monster computer I built back in February of 2015. I totally lost the 2TB partition on my internal hard drive, then the ENTIRE 1TB external HD and a day later all access to the internet. I lost a fortune's worth of pics and videos but at least my music can be retrieved through iTunes.
I refused to upgrade from Win7 to 10 since I had messed with it before but in a new computer you have no choice. What used to be simple now becomes a nightmare of research, trial and error to change. It took me 2 days to finally lock Firefox in as my default browser since MS Bing kept elbowing itself in no matter how many times I tried to change it. I finally got that working the way I like, but I'm sick of this OS that's forced on us. It didn't get any better, just more confusing.
Be on standby, @WoodiE. I'll probably be hitting you up for advise.

Did you not have a backup of that drive? I've been bit before, so I always keep full images of my hard drives. If a drive completely dies, I simply order another, and restore that image and it's just like it was.

A lot of the BS bloat with Windows 10 is solved with Classic Shell. Gives it the look and feel, and knowing where to find things of Windows 7.

My biggest complaint with 10 is that unless you're running a pro or enterprise license then a lot of the admin level stuff has been removed. Being in the IT industry, I know why they took that stance, and I freaking hate admitting it, but it was the right thing to do in a world full of morons that take zero steps to protect not only themselves, but everyone else that may be affected by their laziness or unwillingness to keep up to date on security patches.

You might still be able to retrieve the data from the drives, you haven't re-formatted them have you?

I haven't had any insurmountable W10 issues. Upgraded my W7/w8/w8.1 all up to W10. I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops all running W10. All have an SSD for the main drive and the desktops have secondary drives for storage. I mirror the main drives manually to an external backup I can drop into each machine once a month or so since they are SSD, just in case they die on me and I need to get back up in a hurry.

The only issues I've had is with drive sharing. One of the updates a month or so ago forced me to reshare everything again on my media server, and setting up permissions from my main PC to the media server which can be a bit tedious.

I have gone through and shut off all the monitoring/tracking stuff on all of them though as suggested by many sites. I don't use the metro screen at all on any of them either. On my main PC, I have 3 versions of FF installed (for work reasons) with the latest (quantum) as my default browser. I don't recall it being that big of a pain to set it as the default.

One of the first things I did, out of sheer frustration, was to do a little research and come up with the Windows Shell program. I've changed a few of the major irritations with more to come. Unfortunately, the external HD WAS my backup drive but I had removed the files from my computer once I stored them there. So....no backup.

No, WoodiE, I haven't formatted the drive but I won't send it out for attempted retrieval since I have all my personal and sensitive information stored in it, also. If I sent the drive out to be checked, I'd be dealing with my identity being stolen, my bank accounts being drained and my credit cards being maxed out. ALL my info was in it including PIN numbers.

I can replace it, but I can't share it. The biggest loss is my photo folders but most of my important ones have been processed from RAW and are on CDs, my tablet and a few forums. Some others I can get back from people I emailed them to.

No, WoodiE, I haven't formatted the drive but I won't send it out for attempted retrieval since I have all my personal and sensitive information stored in it, also. If I sent the drive out to be checked, I'd be dealing with my identity being stolen, my bank accounts being drained and my credit cards being maxed out. ALL my info was in it including PIN numbers.
Sure if you send it to some random Bob down the road who's cousin knows a thing about computers, yeah that might be a concern. Any reputable data recovery company is going to have strict controls and access on the data recovered.

At any rate take a look at something like Backblaze (or similar) for your backups in the future. You'll be at a much less risk of losing your data.

Sure if you send it to some random Bob down the road who's cousin knows a thing about computers, yeah that might be a concern. Any reputable data recovery company is going to have strict controls and access on the data recovered.

At any rate take a look at something like Backblaze (or similar) for your backups in the future. You'll be at a much less risk of losing your data.

^^This is spot on. I worked for a company that dealt with hundreds of thousands of customers PII (personally identifiable information), and we've had drives recovered before. There's a reason that is costs so much money to have it done, and that it's a last ditch hail mary solution. It's because the company that handles the recovery is held to strict standards of data integrity. It's literally safer than buying things off the internet.

In what way did the drive fail? Will it no longer power up anymore or does it power up and just not display? And, furthermore- as others have said- I'm not sure if you guys have some sort of GDPR act over in the US, but any reputable dealer will make sure your info is safe. I know that over here it is incredibly stringent. Also, what happened to the other forms of "liking" a post- like Agree, etc? Were they removed in the update?

In what way did the drive fail?
It is recognized as being connected, just like the 2TB partition on the main drive, but both have lost the names and are just seen as "Drive K" or "Drive J". When I tried to access the external hard drive I only got the message that it can not be used until it has been formatted.
The partition is just blank.

Also, what happened to the other forms of "liking" a post- like Agree, etc?
Yeah, I agree. What happened to them?

Have you had Windows try to just fix the drives without formatting them? Sometimes that will knock some sense into Windows. Win & also had this problem as did XP.

Try doing a diskcheck. You can Google it for how to do it for win 10. It's relatively simple.

Update. The external HD is not even recognized as a drive in the new computer, and after a Looooooong time of trying to access it Windows Explorer locks up. I opened the drive, drilled a few holes through the discs and tossed it.
Now I have a 1.5Tb SSD, a Western Digital external "My Book" 4Tb drive and a 3Tb Seagate external drive.

So, here's my current issue. I can not get Word to run. I originally installed Word 2000 and I thought maybe it was too old for Win 10. When it opens I can write and save but when I go back to open the document it will not open and Word closes.
Today I did some more research since every time I tried to use it I was asked if I bought it or wanted to use the 30 day trial. That was for the program in Win 10. After more research I totally uninstalled their Works 365 or whatever it was called and removed 2000 since I found my disks for Works Suite 2005. Same issue. It's registered to me but will not open a document. I can't figure out what's going on with it. Damn, I hate Windows 10. Every program I've installed I've been reminded that I didn't get it from their stupid store and they make it seem like that's a problem.
I absolutely have to have Word in here. What's the issue?

Not to pour gas on a fire... but, why do you need word? I stopped using MS office a long time ago, now I use thunderbird for email and Open Office for "excel/word" alternatives. It can open/edit word/excel files without much issue.

https://www.openoffice.org/

@Rolex - I'm not familiar with Works Suite 2005 and I would think Office/Word 2000 would work. I use Office 2013 on my Windows 10 machine and it works fine.

Building off of @olds97_lss suggestion, there are plenty of free alternatives to Word. One being the one he's already mentioned along with LibreOffice and even Google Docs.

I've always used MS Word. I couldn't get 2000 to work and I only installed Word 2002 from the 2005 Works suite. I've never had this issue before. I've ONLY used Word for writing so I know all it's tips and tricks. I really don't want to start with another program like Open Office.
Maybe 2013 or 2016 would work but there's no reason why the copies I have don't. I don't want to pay $150 for another version of basically the exact same program.

This is the error message I get:
Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database. ODBC error 6: Component not found in the registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it.

I've uninstalled 2000, I've uninstalled the trial version of 365 even without using it, per a recommendation during a search, and I'm about to uninstall 2002 and try again but I'll try your link first.
Well, apparently there's nothing below Office 2010 that will work and this is the OEM win 10 so I can't step back to 7. DAMN I hate Windows 10!

Last edited:
I have to write an important report and I have no way of doing it right now. Out of desperation I looked on ebay again and even considered the other office programs. They are all bootleg copies with a lot of negative feedback due to programs that won't install, won't work and seller not responding. I have Word 2000, Office '97 and Office 2005 and all 3 are on original MS disks and totally legit through MS. I bought them used when the seller upgraded or bought a new computer with that program pre-installed. Can't find much other that hacks whether it's on a disk or a download.

Not to pour gas on a fire... but, why do you need word? I stopped using MS office a long time ago, now I use thunderbird for email and Open Office for "excel/word" alternatives. It can open/edit word/excel files without much issue.

https://www.openoffice.org/
HOLY SCREAMING EAGLE DROPPINGS!!!!
THANKS, man. I just downloaded it and it actually opened the documents I had saved with Word. I had no idea this was a freebie. I even looked on Tucows for a free write program but didn't find anything.

THANK YOU, @olds97_lss
YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn, do I hate the greed of Bill Gates.